1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Ongoing clutch/trans problem. Now trans stuck in gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 11:28 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kr98664
although I picked a bad day to quit sniffing glue...
Roger Wilco....

Old 03-21-2016, 01:40 PM
Eddillard79
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. I feel like an air traffic controller who has just talked down a crippled airliner, although I picked a bad day to quit sniffing glue...

Any luck finding that index pin? I always wished it had been designed with a mushroom head so it couldn't fall it.

For filling the oil, yes, it can be done from the top. It's much easier than adding oil through the fill port on the side. The only downside is you can't see the fill port to know when the oil level is correct. Two ways around that: If the transmission has already been drained, reinstall the drain plug and just add the specified amount from above. If only topping off, remove the fill plug and put a drain pan underneath. Add oil from above, and when oil starts to dribble from the fill port, you know the level is correct.

No I never found the pin. I agree 100% that it should have a head on it so it can't fall out. Im going to try to flush the tranny tomorrow, and hopefully it comes out. If for some reason i can't find it, do you know where I can order another? Right now I have a bolt rigged up in there. It's working but it has a lot of play

Old 03-21-2016, 02:40 PM
kr98664
Lead Driver
Received 692 Likes on 555 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddillard79
If for some reason i can't find it, do you know where I can order another? Right now I have a bolt rigged up in there. It's working but it has a lot of play
Cut down the shank of a drill bit. Select the size that gives a snug fit with the shift tower. That's what I have in my truck.

A drill bit is too hard to cut with a hacksaw. You'll have to use an abrasive cutoff wheel. Lacking that, you could score a groove with a grinding wheel, snap it off, and then dress the end flat.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:14 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I always prefer filling a trans thru the top anytime possible. I even go a step further on most trans. Once it has reached the point of dribbling out the filler hole, put the plug back in, and add another 1/2 to full qt. (depends on the trans/capacity). Many trans rebuilders will reccomend a specified "over-fill" amount on certain (problematic) transmissions........

As for the pin that is MIA, hopefully it has either fallen outside of the case, or if it did go inside it has made it all the way to the bottom. Would be bad if it found a resting place in amongst the gears......
Hopefully, the trans has a magnetic drain plug, and you find it attached when you pull out the plug.
I always use a magnet to grab the pin(s) as soon as I pull out the stick, so I know where it is prior to jostling the trans around during the R&R proceedure.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:16 AM
kr98664
Lead Driver
Received 692 Likes on 555 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddillard79
No I never found the pin. I agree 100% that it should have a head on it so it can't fall out. Im going to try to flush the tranny tomorrow, and hopefully it comes out.
I know this is an older thread, but did you ever find the missing pin?

The reason I ask is I had another idea for inspecting inside the transmission. Does your transmission have a PTO port on it? This is a stamped sheet metal cover on the side, maybe 4" x 6" or so. Drain the oil and unbolt the cover. You will now have great access to look for the pin. Use a little inspection mirror to get to all the corners.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:01 AM
Eddillard79
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but did you ever find the missing pin?

The reason I ask is I had another idea for inspecting inside the transmission. Does your transmission have a PTO port on it? This is a stamped sheet metal cover on the side, maybe 4" x 6" or so. Drain the oil and unbolt the cover. You will now have great access to look for the pin. Use a little inspection mirror to get to all the corners.
I have a PTO attached to the trans for a hydraulic winch. I never found the pin, but I didn't put in much effort looking for it. I've put a few thousand miles on it since this post, and luckily no problems so far.