1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Air bag DIY Replacment

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 09:40 AM
007ROADSTER
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air bag DIY Replacment

I had a minor accident the other day (I have a 2000 Ranger), and both airbags deployed. I am looking to replace the airbags myself, and want to know if anybody has done this themselves?

It looks easy to do, except for resetting the airbag computer (if necessary), and any cautions I should follow. The guy at the airbag dealer says the computer will reset itself once the bage are replaced but, but I don't want to have a problem with the airbag light staying on or the bags not functioning.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Old 08-12-2003, 01:21 PM
007ROADSTER
New User
Air bag DIY Replacment

Has anybody ever placed the their airbags themselves, in any vehicle?

Old 08-12-2003, 03:36 PM
PSKSAM2
Laughing Gas
Air bag DIY Replacment

Welcome to FTE!

No, I don't know the answer, but I am definitely staying tuned to this thread. I need to replace my heater control unit (the one with the air blend door) and the procedure apparently involves removing at least one, if not both airbags.

Old 08-12-2003, 04:11 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Post Air bag DIY Replacment

This is out of my 1998 Ford Manual, applicable to Rangers:

Module — Driver Air Bag

Removal:

WARNING:
If replacing a deployed air bag module, always replace the air bag electronic crash sensor (ECS) module.

WARNING:
Always wear safety glasses when repairing an air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) vehicle and when handling an air bag module.

WARNING:
Carry a live air bag module with the air bag and trim cover pointed away from your body. This will reduce the risk of injury in the event of an accidental deployment.

WARNING:
Do not set a live air bag module down with the trim cover face down.

WARNING:
After deployment, the air bag surface can contain deposits of sodium hydroxide, a product of the gas generant combustion that is irritating to the skin. Wash your hands with soap and water afterwards.

WARNING:
Never probe the connectors on the air bag module. Doing so can result in air bag deployment, which can result in personal injury.

WARNING:
Air bag modules with discolored or damaged trim covers must be replaced, not repainted.

WARNING:
Vehicle sensor orientation is critical for proper system operation. If a vehicle equipped with an air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) is involved in a collision, inspect the sensor mounting bracket and wiring pigtail for deformation. If damaged, replace the sensor whether or not the air bag is deployed.

WARNING:
To avoid accidental deployment and possible personal injury, the backup power supply must be depleted before repairing or replacing any air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) components. To deplete the backup power supply energy, disconnect the battery ground cable and wait one minute. Be sure to disconnect auxiliary batteries and power supplies (if so equipped).

Note:
Repair is made by replacement only. If a part is replaced and the new part does not correct the condition, install the original part and perform the diagnostic procedure again.

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable (14301);

2. Remove the two back cover plugs.

3. Remove the two driver air bag module screws.

4. Disconnect the air bag sliding contact electrical connector.

5. Remove the driver air bag module.

Installation:

WARNING:
If replacing a deployed air bag module, always replace the air bag electronic crash sensor (ECS) module.

WARNING:
Always wear safety glasses when repairing an air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) vehicle and when handling an air bag module.

WARNING:
Carry a live air bag module with the air bag and trim cover pointed away from your body. This will reduce the risk of injury in the event of an accidental deployment.

WARNING:
Never probe the connectors on the air bag module. Doing so can result in air bag deployment, which can result in personal injury.

Note:
Repair is made by replacement only. If a part is replaced and the new part does not correct the condition, install the original part and perform the diagnostic procedure again.

Note:
Make sure to tighten the retaining bolts to specification (67-92 lb/in).

1. Follow the removal procedure in reverse order.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Rockledge; 08-12-2003 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:32 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Post Air bag DIY Replacment

and here is the procedure for the Passenger Airbag:

WARNING:
To avoid accidental deployment and possible personal injury, the backup power supply must be depleted before repairing or replacing any front or side air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) components and before servicing, replacing, adjusting or striking components near the front or side air bag sensors, such as doors, instrument panel, console, door latches, strikers, seats and hood latches.

Please refer to the appropriate vehicle shop manual to determine location of the front air bag sensors.

The side air bag sensors are located at or near the base of the B-pillar.

To deplete the backup power supply energy, disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute. Be sure to disconnect auxiliary batteries and power supplies (if equipped).

Note:
Repair is made by installing a new part only. If the new part does not correct the condition, install the original part and perform the diagnostic procedure again.

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable (14301) and wait at least one minute.

2. Open the glove compartment door to access the passenger air bag retaining screws.

3. Remove the two passenger air bag retaining screws.

4. CAUTION: Do not handle the passenger air bag module by grabbing the edges of the deployment doors. Placing one hand in the glove compartment, push the passenger air bag out enough to access the electrical connector.

5. Disconnect the electrical connector and remove the passenger air bag.

Installation

WARNING:
Always wear safety glasses when repairing an air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) vehicle and when handling an air bag module. This will reduce the risk of injury in the event of an accidental deployment.

WARNING:
Carry a live air bag module with the air bag and deployment door pointed away from your body. This will reduce the risk of injury in the event of an accidental deployment.

WARNING:
Never probe the connectors on the air bag module. Doing so can result in air bag deployment which can result in personal injury.

Note:
Repair is made by installing a new part only. If the new part does not correct the condition, install the original part and perform the diagnostic procedure again.

Note:
Make sure to tighten the retaining bolts to specification (67-92 lb/in). It is critical for correct operation.

1. Follow the removal procedure in reverse order.

Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2003, 08:26 PM
007ROADSTER
New User
Air bag DIY Replacment

Hey Rockridge,

Thanks for your help. I will be ordering the airbag module and airbags tomorrow. I still need to pull off the front bumper to see if the bumper support is bent, before I ordeer a new bumper.

Thanks again!

Old 03-14-2004, 07:43 PM
troyf
New User
cost

How much did each airbag cost? How'd the installation go?

Old 03-14-2004, 08:23 PM
007ROADSTER
New User
Each airbag cost $250 (salavaged). After I replaced them (it was a snap) I still had an airbag light on all the time. The airbag computer had logged the blown bag fault. I talked to a mechanic friend of mine, and he said it would be about $100 to have the fault cleared by a dealer. I bought a replacement air-bag computer ($60, salavaged) to fix this.

The whole thing was pretty easy. Just make sure you're careful handling the airbags (so you don't accidently set them off) and disconnect the battery several hours before you work on your truck.

I have to tell you though, I was a little scared turning on the ignition on the 1st time after you replace the bags.

I got the bags at http://www.fivestarairbags.com/ but I'm sure there are plenty of other places to get them.

Old 03-15-2004, 06:36 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Thanks for the good info on the airbags.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:26 PM
Wolfman23
New User
Same

Originally Posted by 007ROADSTER
I had a minor accident the other day (I have a 2000 Ranger), and both airbags deployed. I am looking to replace the airbags myself, and want to know if anybody has done this themselves?

It looks easy to do, except for resetting the airbag computer (if necessary), and any cautions I should follow. The guy at the airbag dealer says the computer will reset itself once the bage are replaced but, but I don't want to have a problem with the airbag light staying on or the bags not functioning.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
I actually just did the same thing! A small fender bender bc of bad whether and ice and they went off. thankfully I found this thread! Thank u!

Old 01-20-2016, 07:10 PM
97ranger xlt
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
airbags are a menace if u ask me...

Old 01-27-2016, 09:02 PM
2Sachse
New User
2002 Ranger Airbag

My son hit a parked car on our street. Truck survived 13+ years and 98k miles without so much as a scratch and lasted less than a week with a teenage driver. The collision did almost no damage to the Ranger or the parked car - just bent the bumper slightly out of line on the Ranger - but it did deploy both airbags. Minor accident turned into monster pain in the backside.

I replaced a horn contact that was melted. The clockspring tested ok. I've installed the the replacement airbags. I have a reset airbag control module and was getting ready to plug it all back together, but there's was a generic note packaged with the module it that says not to install it without first replacing/repairing the seat belt PREtensioners IF your vehicle has them or the module may have to be reset again.

So do I have seat belt PREtensioners in an 02 Ranger? If I do, how can I tell if they've been deployed and need to be replaced?

I've read the other info on here about replacing airbags and didn't see this addressed. Other folks seem to just put in the new bags and a new control module and drive into the sunset. Do I need to worry about the PREtensioners now?

Last edited by 2Sachse; 01-28-2016 at 08:49 PM. Reason: I realized I my question wasn't very clear...
Old 01-27-2016, 10:06 PM
Ford'05HG
Elder User
Originally Posted by 2Sachse
My son hit a parked car on our street. Truck survived 13+ years and 98k miles without so much as a scratch and lasted less than a week with a teenage driver. The collision did almost no damage to the Ranger or the parked car - just bent the bumper slightly out of line on the Ranger - but it did deploy both airbags. Minor accident turned into monster pain in the backside.

I replaced a horn contact that was melted. The clockspring tested ok. I've installed the the replacement airbags. I have a reset airbag control module and was getting ready to plug it all back together, but there's was a generic note packaged with the module it that says not to install it without first replacing/repairing the seat belt tensioners IF your vehicle has them or the module may have to be reset again.

So do I have seat belt tensioners in an 02 Ranger? If I do, how can I tell if they've been deployed and need to be replaced?

I've read the other info on here about replacing airbags and didn't see this addressed. Other folks seem to just put in the new bags and a new control module and drive into the sunset. Do I need to worry about the tensioners now?

Not a pro in the subject but here's what I can tell you from my little knowledge about it.

It's actually a pretty simple test. Grab the seatbelt close to the top like you are going to put it on, then pull it out hard, if it locks up on you, that's a pretensioner. If you think that belt has failed or you don't have any, try this test on the other side, unless someone was riding in that seat during the crash too.

Pretensioners are actually a very important device. They prevent you from continuing forward toward a deploying airbag, as well as keeping you from slamming your head on the steering wheel if a deer crosses your path.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:56 PM
2Sachse
New User
Seat Belt Pretensioner Saga Continues and Gets Wierd.

So I pulled the seats out today. The 2002 Ranger does have pyrotechnic (or compressed air?) pretensioners. Here's a couple of pics. Might help someone else later...

This is the driver's side pretensioner. Looks ok to me. Buckle is not shortened/retracted.

This is the passenger side (upside down). This side has obviously blown. The piston and cable are ticking out AND the buckle is retracted very short.

Am I looking at this right? It appears to me that the passenger side deployed (on the empty seat) but the driver's side did not. Does it make a difference in the way a blown pretension looks if someone is in the seat vs an empty seat?

If it didn't deploy, that might explain why the airbag took the skin off the end of his nose, split his lip and caused him to bite a chunk out of his tongue when it blew. If you don't count the blown bags, the kid had more damage than the truck did.

Is there a legitimate reason the driver's side pretensioner would not have deployed? Other than a defect - defective in such a way that it didn't send an error code or some other SRS issue.

Just FYI, it you want to save bucks keep that passenger side disabled when no one's sitting there. Half the parts to replace! Seriously.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:01 AM
reddog99
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was under the impression that the passenger seat had a weight sensor to detect a passenger and deactivate the airbag when no-one was there?

Quick Reply: Air bag DIY Replacment