Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Torque Pro FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 04:55 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Not sure if this is where it should be posted, but having a manual, I was able to get MFD to work, but TPD, EOT, and think one other, not to work. Truck sounded awfully sick with this programs running. I've tripled checked the pid/equation and I'm dead on. Not sure what to do

Old 04-14-2016, 06:27 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I have MFD, but the formula was a mess. I have tweaked my formula to get a number I understand (it reads up to 100 max), now I need to convert it to a number that a tuner could understand.

You may need to put the header in your formula. Mine is set to "Auto", what is yours set to?

The wrong name of the PID can also trip the engine up - I had mine do that while I was trying to rename a PID. Don't ask me what that's all about... I thought it was all about the PID number, not the name.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:27 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Thanks for the response Tug. Ya, MFD is dead on with working. High 6's when idling, saw 39.? when wrap the throttle. But, the others not so good. I'll mess with naming today and see if that helps.
Left the AUTO...etc blank, so will try auto or think HEAKER, something crazy like that

Old 05-06-2016, 06:00 AM
johnsps250
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mass Fuel Desired
Short Name: MFD
PID: 221412
Units: mg/stroke
Max/Min: Auto/0.0
Equation: ((A*256)+B)*.0625
This is not a sensor, it is a program output like IPR and FIPW. In fact, MFD controls the IPR/FIPW combination to get the fuel dosage needed at any given time. Obviously, you want this as low as possible for optimum fuel economy - but a less than 100% truck will demand a higher dosage of fuel - so the MFD climbs. I remember driving 65 MPH on the flat with no wind in a stock truck with an MFD of 20 on my AE program. I could be wrong, but I think that's a good target. That equation is dubious at best, the accuracy needs to be verified on a vehicle less modified than mine.
I spent yesterday evening setting up the PID's in my new tablet, all in all its been pretty straight forward, other than the PID for MFD.
Not sure if I've missed something or I'm doing something wrong (sure its one or the other) but when trying to install the MFD PID range, I don't see a way to input anything in the MAX range other than a number. The app also won't let me leave it blank. How should I be inputting a range with a max value that's "AUTO"?

Old 05-06-2016, 12:24 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
"Auto" for the max is nothing more than a placeholder the instruction to not put anything there at all. By default, all the gauges are auto-ranging - but that's not always helpful. With auto-ranging... the scale is set per session, and it's hard to visually gauge where your values are at a glance from session to session. You'd be driving along in town and see a value sitting high on the scale, then see that same value setting low on the scale while on the highway - it's confusing.

My sticks are non-stock - as is my tuning. I have no freaking idea what MFD values should read on my truck, so I can't advise others on this without some reading. Until I know more about the correct readings and scale on MFD, I just provide what I do know - auto-ranging will work.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:17 PM
VOODOO7.3
Senior User
I love having Torque Pro on a small Nook tablet that nobody was using anymore. I bought a VeePeak WiFi OBD2 adapter from Amazon for $16. Works great and data moves fast. I'm guessing the computer can't see coolant temp at all. Is that correct? If so, where does the "idiot gauge" on the instrument cluster get it's signal from?

Old 05-09-2016, 08:23 PM
homertwo
Cross-Country
I bought a OBD2 adapter and have the free version of Torque Pro.
Not really impressed.
Is the full version worth getting?

Thanks

Old 05-09-2016, 10:12 PM
VOODOO7.3
Senior User
Originally Posted by homertwo
Not really impressed.

Thanks
Homer, I don't know what you can or can't see on the free version or what you set it up with as far as PIDs or plug ins. What I can tell you is for less than $6 for Torque Pro, $16 for my VeePeak OBD2 Wifi adapter (which works great with iPhone or Android),and the required set up/familiarization time, I'm really happy with it. I can watch EOT, TransTemp, Voltage, Boost, ICP Voltage, IPR%,Torque Converter Slip RPMs, HPOP, EBP, etc.,live while driving on the 7.3. Read FICM, and FICM Sync on 6.0. In the last month alone, I used it to pull codes, diagnose a problem CamPS (1 of 2) in my wife's car, without buying or changing out any unnecessary parts. It was also great to see the actual coolant temp (instead of the idiot gauge cold to hot with no specifics), in my step-son's car during some recent overheating issues! Might be the best $22 I ever spent. My 2 cents.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:38 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by homertwo
Not really impressed.

Thanks
Have to agree with VooDoo. Spend the money. I'm not a techy kinda guy and don't spend money without shopping around but having the Bluetooth adapter in my glove box and the cheap app on my phone means I have a way to monitor my truck any time. It's worth the couple of dollars.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:28 PM
homertwo
Cross-Country
Thanks.
That's what I wanted to hear.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:56 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
Have to agree with VooDoo. Spend the money. I'm not a techy kinda guy and don't spend money without shopping around but having the Bluetooth adapter in my glove box and the cheap app on my phone means I have a way to monitor my truck any time. It's worth the couple of dollars.
I have been messing with Torque and figured out how to get the OBD LinkMX adapter I got off amazon to not only work with there software (purchase on there site), but it will work with torque pro (or the lite version) as well as programmes like cargauge pro, I am still messing about with finding the limitations at the moment, but just thought you might like to know that info so if you have the OBDlink device it can be used with just about any flavor of programme you want to use it with so long as the device in question (android/candy) will talk to it/link up

Old 05-10-2016, 12:59 AM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
I initially bought a cheap Chinese bluetooth obd11 & was disappointed with the results, got the OBD2MX & now everything is good, I also bought the Forscan app as it is far better for reading codes, even shows codes that don't bring on the CEL.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:08 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well got a bit of an update from a fellow member (Thanks go out to ExPacamper) for the following info, I will also be testing this my self to see, however I may have started on the latest version so I may be limited on replicating this issue.

Originally Posted by ExPACamper
A very brief post about the newest version of Torque Pro. Some problems.

1. I'm not sure if the new version DELETED my profile and custom PIDs or if my Android cleanup software did. Both have coexisted and worked fine together for years, but it's gone. Caution flag here to back up your PIDs, profile, and logging configurations

2. Under Vehicle Profile, there is now a setting for OBD protocol. Make sure you set it for PWM1850

3. In the STANDARD PIDs, there is a PROBLEM PID! When adding a display/PID to the Realtime Data screen, all the PIDs are listed, one screen at a time, and it attempts to access each PID and show successful data returned in lime green. HOWEVER- If this PID is displayed (as you scroll), my truck STALLS and if engine off and key on, the dash freaks out.

Average trip speed(whilst stopped or moving)

See the pic:

I've been able to repeat and confirm this several times while running, stopped, cold power up, restart Torque Pro, etc.

I have NOT FOUND a way to REMOVE this PID yet

4. Good news: MOST of our important PIDs for 7.3L are included in the Pre-defined set for Ford(incl Powerstroke). Should simplify things.

That's all I have time for at the moment, but wanted to get this out there right away!

EDIT: I did attempt for about 10 minutes to replicate the issue, however with out know 100% of the details I did guess in some respects, but I had that PID shown and listed and did it both with the truck on engine off, and engine running (sitting in drive way) and the truck did not misbehave in any form, dash worked happily as it always does, so I am not sure if that was just an off chance type thing, but I hope Ex will chime in as to what happened on his end to help better clear this up

Old 05-17-2016, 07:34 PM
VOODOO7.3
Senior User
Ian Hawkins, the Torque App developer, has also pointed out that while he does everything in his power to eliminate any known problems within the app software, it is impossible for the app to work 100% with some vehicle computers that were bugged from the start. Some Powerstrokes fall into this category along with some vehicles of other manufacturers. So it is possible for 2 different owners of similar trucks to have different experiences with the app, but not caused by the app. There is a Torque forum that outlines some of this info and also gives user an opportunity to present both issues and questions. Ian answers many of them himself and regularly posts info on upcoming updates and other stuff he's working on. Seems like a really helpful guy who is always trying to improve the app more.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:34 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by VOODOO7.3
Ian Hawkins, the Torque App developer, has also pointed out that while he does everything in his power to eliminate any known problems within the app software, it is impossible for the app to work 100% with some vehicle computers that were bugged from the start. Some Powerstrokes fall into this category along with some vehicles of other manufacturers. So it is possible for 2 different owners of similar trucks to have different experiences with the app, but not caused by the app. There is a Torque forum that outlines some of this info and also gives user an opportunity to present both issues and questions. Ian answers many of them himself and regularly posts info on upcoming updates and other stuff he's working on. Seems like a really helpful guy who is always trying to improve the app more.
I've been using Torque Pro for about a year and a half with no issues. This just came up with one of the recent updates.

I don't know which one, but I suspect between 2/3/2016 and now.

Here is an earlier screenshot of the custom PID screen from 2/3/2016

And here is a screenshot from tonight:

Other than the icons/graphics, notice a difference?

The Max/Min is reversed. Not a smoking gun, but *might* indicate a change in data structure.

I didn't find any way to report the problem from my Android, will check on the interwebs

There have been problems with Torque Pro versions in the past (including one version that crashed every time you opened it), but they have been fixed very quickly.

Since this bug is so dramatic and stalls the Excursion, I wanted to raise the flag right away. Hope to help others avoid the problem and from any related hassles or waste of time chasing non-existent vehicle troubles

Torque Pro is still my favorite monitoring program. It's just caught a bit of a cold for now

Quick Reply: Torque Pro FAQ