Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 06:10 AM
jbehuniak
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1978 F250 460 ZF5 swap/build

Figured I would make a build page.

Heres the truck

It's a 1978 F250 custom. Only options are heat and uh, um it has a selector for dual tanks but only one door. My dad and I got the truck when I got home from deployment and started getting it road worthy. PO'S can be real interesting. There have been household wire nuts on the harness, the floor is screwed down the rear end ran dry on the second drive and the pinion gear went etc etc....
Well the wiring is horrid, I replaced the brakes, I need to do floors. It was going to be a summer project but towing this the head gasket blew.

I tore down the EFI 460

Old 02-25-2016, 06:16 AM
jbehuniak
Elder User
Dropped the block off at PMR machine in Kensington CT. The trick flow heads came in yesterday, doing a Howard's CA for towing. Thinking L&L headers still thinking about intake manifold with edelbrock 800 cfm.
ZF5 behind it. Eventually Detroit in the rear. Will post photos and updates as they come. It was a 351M performer intake and 600cfm carb

Old 02-25-2016, 07:37 AM
BA63
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you keeping it a 460?

Old 02-25-2016, 08:08 AM
jbehuniak
Elder User
It was a 351M. I was,planning on swapping in the 460&ZF5, it's just happening sooner than planned. 351M blew a head gasket.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:04 PM
jbehuniak
Elder User
my 460's was and impromptu build

This title should of read "My 460 F250 and impromptu build" cell phone screens can be tricky.....

Old 02-26-2016, 07:52 AM
BA63
Senior User
Gotcha...I was a little confused. I'm a BBF Fan, so if the question/statement is to take it to a 460 let er rip!

Old 02-26-2016, 08:26 AM
ford_pickup
Elder User
This will be a cool build

Old 02-26-2016, 08:41 AM
BA63
Senior User
They always are...I dang sure enjoyed building mine!

Name:  xjkSTcl.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  3.16 MB

Old 02-26-2016, 10:46 AM
jbehuniak
Elder User
I just did a small time line it should be all done by mid June, hopefully sooner. It depends on what machine shop finds and how much they charge. Saturday I hope to start disassembly of the font end of the truck and crossing fingers the cab. But being realistic with crap happening, it will be the grill, radiator support, hood, fenders, inner fenders. Sunday through Wednesday I'll be house sitting. I'll soak the cab mounts and bed mounts with PB blaster and start pulling the wiring out of it. I have a painless setup on the way. Cab will come off first then the bed. I have some POR15 to coat the frame. I want to sand the bottom and inner fenderwells of the bed then coat with bedliner. When the cab floor is repaired, the bottom side of the cab will get the same treatment.
I want to leave the cab off while I install the 460 so installation of engine/trans/transfercase is easier + I can re-do the rushed brake and fuel lines. I will hang the 38GAL tank also.
Once the engine is all done the truck will go back together.

QUESTIONS/ SUGGESTIONS
The 460 will have around 10:1 CR, machinist says just be careful with timing and run 91-93 octane. To keep heat down has anyone used a highflow water-pump? I have the large capacity radiator in. I have been reading up on electric fans.
MSD ignition box- is it worth it?
Headers- MADDOG or L&L (fenderwells)
Is my build plan a good plan? I won't be done with the engine build until the end of MAY why not tackle the rest of the truck and make the swap easy?
JBG 460 swap mounts (heavy duty or regular?)
800CFM too much carb? Howards Cams Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshafts 241021-11 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing
that's the cam
these are the heads Trick Flow® PowerPort® 290 Cylinder Heads for Ford 429/460 TFS-53410001 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

4:11's in the rear. ZF5 behind the 460.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:56 AM
CelticOne
Regular User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jbehuniak
my 460's was and impromptu build

This title should of read "My 460 F250 and impromptu build" cell phone screens can be tricky.....
If you click on "Edit" for your original post, then "Advanced", you can correct the title.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:59 AM
ktm4012
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dropped the block off at PMR machine in Kensington CT. The trick flow heads came in yesterday, doing a Howard's CA for towing. Thinking L&L headers still thinking about intake manifold with edelbrock 800 cfm.
ZF5 behind it. Eventually Detroit in the rear. Will post photos and updates as they come. It was a 351M performer intake and 600cfm carb
Phil's the man when it comes to Ford's.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:15 AM
BA63
Senior User

QUESTIONS/ SUGGESTIONS
The 460 will have around 10:1 CR, machinist says just be careful with timing and run 91-93 octane. To keep heat down has anyone used a highflow water-pump? I have the large capacity radiator in. I have been reading up on electric fans.
MSD ignition box- is it worth it?
Headers- MADDOG or L&L (fenderwells)
Is my build plan a good plan? I won't be done with the engine build until the end of MAY why not tackle the rest of the truck and make the swap easy?
JBG 460 swap mounts (heavy duty or regular?)
800CFM too much carb? Howards Cams Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshafts 241021-11 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing
that's the cam
these are the heads Trick Flow® PowerPort® 290 Cylinder Heads for Ford 429/460 TFS-53410001 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

4:11's in the rear. ZF5 behind the 460.
You are correct on the 10:1 CR, I'm slightly higher with my Stroker motor but 93 does just fine. Your timing will be the key along with proper carb selection. I have a quick fuel 850 on mine, I could have certainly done with a 750 but I figured you could get a 850 to act like a 750 but not vice versa..CFM!!!.

I used high flow pump (March Performance) and I also went with a 4 row aluminum radiator from Performance Cooling with shroud and electric fans...so far they work great!..I was told by my motorhead buddies to hook up a switch so I could manually turn them on, I used the thermister that came with the system and have them turn on automatically.

MSD is well worth it!...it will definitely put some fire to your plugs. There are other systems out there but for me, it was MSD...

Getting things to fit right with the headers and motor mounts, especially with fender exit, I went with Hedman Hustlers and solid motor mounts. Again, my motorhead buddies had me a little worried about torque roll and breaking a mount and rolling the motor. Yeah I coulda chained the motor but I did not like that look. It is a tight fit and you will have to cut your inner fender. L&L or MadDog will probably be just fine, they are both great companies....do yourself a favor, get the headers, run them on the motorstand first, they will blue, then take them and have them ceramic coated locally....DO NOT buy them pre-coated...waste of money.

Name:  CjB0SFS.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  764.3 KB

Name:  VlphdZb.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  1.61 MB

Your plan is a good plan, but just expect the unexpected. What I mean is you are making some mods (cool ones for sure) but just about everything it seems will need to be tweaked..at least that was my experience. Heck I m ready to do it again, your will definitely have fun with this one and I mean that in a good way!

Best Regards.....

Old 03-02-2016, 11:36 AM
jbehuniak
Elder User
I had to change the cam, the howards would of had too much cylinder pressure at crank and there was not enough overlap to bleed it off. I haven't found the exact one yet but most likely it will be 1400-5500rpm +/- 300 RPM. I hope it doesn't effect towing. I doubt it will, the 460 has good torque and the ZF-5 has a pretty low 1st gear.

BA63 thanks for the words of encouragement.

I haven't done anything with the truck yet except move it around the yard and drag my stuck bobcat out of the woods. We had a lot of rain not too long ago and it washed out all the drainage around the carport flooding it. About 2 days with a pickaxe and a few hours with the bobcat and its dry again. I may get a bed or 3 full of gravel and lay it down where I will start working on the truck.
I did get my painless system in and as the bed and cab start coming off I will wire in what I can inside the cab and the rear end (lights, fuel sender, and fuel pump)

I know someone did the 351M/400 to ZF-5 swap, but with the 460 being larger I am wondering if it has been done; did you have to re-do the transmission/transfer case mount?
Also if my buddy can bring his welding truck up I want to add some heavy duty crossmembers at the front end and in between the front spring hangar of the rear axle

Old 03-02-2016, 01:48 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
Gary Lewis did the swap, but IMO your better off going the 460 zf route because its a factory fit. I trenched out a drywell and catch basin last year to keep my small but muddy back yard dry, it forgot to snow this year. Work off a raked and reraked dirt floor under a 10x20 modified portable shelter, easy on the back but lousy for engine hoists.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:06 PM
jbehuniak
Elder User
Block is done at the machine shop. I've been away off and on so no time for the truck. I hope to pick the block up Friday and see what I can get done on the truck.

Quick Reply: 1978 F250 460 ZF5 swap/build