1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Stupid C4 question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 08:40 PM
risingstar
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid C4 question

I recently decided it was time to seek out another C4 transmission for my 67. While I have some mechanical ability, I was going to source a used C4 transmission and have someone else install it (bad back here). I went and took a look at a tranny early today. The seller claims it was rebuilt last year. I am not familiar with how C4s work. During the inspection, I tried to turn the torque converter and it was very stiff. The seller claims he installed new pump gears and the converter was new. I removed the TC and I turned the smaller input shaft and it did turn with some effort, again stiff. While turning the input shaft, the seller seemed perplexed that the output shaft did not turn. I was under the impression that the input shaft turning SHOULDN'T move the output shaft when it was out of the car. I then turned the output shaft and THAT DID turn the input shaft. Am I wrong? Please correct me if I am, thanks.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:02 AM
hoss73ford
Elder User
I'd probably like to know that too since I have a '67 car that I'll want to put one in while it's getting a new motor.
Some of the guys on the Fordbarn site know about transmissions as it's a frequent subject on there. Might check there if you don't get response on here. It could be since you posted at 10:40 that everyone's gone to bed and you'll have some answers soon.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:13 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
When it's out of the car there is no direct connection from the input shaft to the output shaft. Sometimes they will turn each other just from drag. If you hold one of the shafts you should still be able to turn the other one.

The only way the shafts connect is when bands and/or clutches are applied, and that takes hydraulic pressure.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:59 AM
risingstar
New User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
When it's out of the car there is no direct connection from the input shaft to the output shaft. Sometimes they will turn each other just from drag. If you hold one of the shafts you should still be able to turn the other one.

The only way the shafts connect is when bands and/or clutches are applied, and that takes hydraulic pressure.
Mark, thanks so much! That is what I thought but having someone question it made me question it. lol One other question - The seller claims he changed the pump gears and put on a new remaned TC and that is why the torque converter is so hard to rotate when fully seated. Does that make sense?

Old 02-20-2016, 10:30 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What would make me nervous is that you say the seller worked on the tranny but doesn't seem to know that much about how an auto tranny works. Or did he have it done professionally? I wouldn't be thrilled about buying a used automatic from a guy who doesn't know much about them and just slapped some new parts in there...

Old 02-20-2016, 11:09 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by risingstar
Mark, thanks so much! That is what I thought but having someone question it made me question it. lol One other question - The seller claims he changed the pump gears and put on a new remaned TC and that is why the torque converter is so hard to rotate when fully seated. Does that make sense?
It should have resistance. How hard is hard is very difficult to understand. If he didn't set pump clearance or end clearance it could be bound up and will have a very violent and short life. Or it might be normal.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:56 PM
risingstar
New User
The seller stated that he had it rebuilt by a local shop but never reinstalled it. He purchased the TC after the rebuild so I know I never had the shop mate both of them up. He is asking $50 for the tranny and tc. I feel like if its something simple it is worth the asking price but if it needs a full rebuild again then I will rebuild the one I have.

Mark, as for the pump clearance, does the larger thrust washer set that and the smaller washer set the input shaft end play? Or is it the other way around?

Old 02-20-2016, 02:35 PM
instig8r63
Cargo Master
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts
It should have resistance. How hard is hard is very difficult to understand. If he didn't set pump clearance or end clearance it could be bound up and will have a very violent and short life. Or it might be normal.
How do you set pump clearance on a C4?

Old 02-20-2016, 02:40 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts
It's worth $50 in scrap! You can't go wrong here imo. The only better price would be free

Old 02-20-2016, 02:44 PM
risingstar
New User
Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4
It's worth $50 in scrap! You can't go wrong here imo. The only better price would be free
I totally agree. It would also be worth rebuilding, I am just trying to figure out if something small was rebuilt incorrectly or if the whole thing should be rebuilt.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:47 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by instig8r63
If memory serves correct, the stator pump clearance is set by the smaller brass thrust washer on the end of the pump assembly and the larger plastic washer sets the end play of the assembly.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:34 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by instig8r63
I've never built a C4.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:00 AM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've never built a C4.
Y not if U got one and only enuff $ 4 the internals?

EDIT
o0OPPps may B I miss-read ur post

Old 02-21-2016, 07:20 AM
instig8r63
Cargo Master
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by teardropty
If memory serves correct, the stator pump clearance is set by the smaller brass thrust washer on the end of the pump assembly and the larger plastic washer sets the end play of the assembly.
There is no way to set pump clearance on a C4. The selective washers only set up end play.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:39 PM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
may have some C4 knowledge here, will ask while I got a chance…

I understand that only 1 co. makes parts to make this tranny having 'engine braking' in first gear - most just have it in 2nd & 3rd. (wanna use it in a workin bronk that skids logs up 2 the neighbor's band saw mill). I think the co's name is "Performance" or something like that - R U guys familiar or can U assist in sourcing prts? Tranny is from a V8 and will B behind a torquie six (less HP/similar tq).

Quick Reply: Stupid C4 question