1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Fuel Smell + Stalling?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 09:58 PM
kennyfzj80
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Smell + Stalling?

Hi All,
1996 Ford E150

Just got back from a 500 mile round trip.

Last week I smelled a very strong gas smell inside after filling up. The gas smell will last about 30 minutes and I would get intermittent smells until the tank is pretty much empty.

So I bought an OEM gas cap and swapped it.

The smell is still there but it is not as strong as before.

On this trip when coming from about 50mph to a stop to turn, the van stalled out. It started up again with no issues and I drove 200+ miles without a problem. So it only stalled once.

The van starts good, but at low rpm has a slight stutter. Feels like it might stall when stuck in traffic.

Also on the way back, I just realized that I forgot to close up some bolt holes in the wheel well and that the smell was coming up from the holes. I went underneath the car and I can smell gas coming from the direction of the tank.

It has a behind the axle large tank. I think 30 gallons. I also found an old receipt for a fuel pump replacement done and I am assuming the previous owner's mechanic was either lazy or incompetent based on what I've experienced and seen so far.

I am going to start troubleshooting and replacing parts this week and would like some advice on where to start and things to look for.

Right now I am planning to swap out the filter and order an OEM fuel pump. From what I've read so far, the pump goes into the tank? Not looking forward to that

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-16-2016, 05:48 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
With the new fuel filter installed I'd check for proper fuel pressure----that might be the cause or a part of the idle and stalling issues.

I'm not familiar with the '96 chassis and drive trains but if the evaporative fuel canister is bad that might cause the fuel smell underneath. Certainly sealing the cabin from as much underside fumes as possible is vital but don't over look the emissions devices near the fuel tanks.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:55 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Kenny,
the tank is 35 gallons. I found a video on replacing the pump that should fit your van, it shows an F150 but the install should be close enough. At 1:28 and 4:42 on the video it shows the vapor line for the tank and that may be where the problem is with the gas smell. Normally, the line puts a slight vacuum on the tank to pull fuel vapors through a charcoal filter and then into the intake for burning. Good luck. jim

FEATURED VIDEO: ?How to Install E2059MN?

Old 02-16-2016, 01:13 PM
kennyfzj80
Senior User
Thanks for the video!

Also,

What do you guys think about putting in a skid plate while I'm at it.

I read that it is the skid plate for the broncos 35 gallon tank.

It is a simple install or PITA?

I want to do this while I have the tank dropped.

I use the van for light off road so I don't mind buying a little peace of mind.

Edit: Just checked prices on OEM fuel pump! WTF??? Is it worth it to go OEM?

Last edited by kennyfzj80; 02-16-2016 at 01:23 PM. Reason: FUEL PUMP
Old 02-17-2016, 05:44 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Prices of the stock-type fuel pumps can vary greatly----apart from buying through the dealership at full retail you kinda get what you pay for.

These days according to most who've endured replacing them Bosch seems to be the preferred brand. Airtex once upon a time was OEM but reports here on FTE suggest they're not quite that long lasting these days.

I myself prefer something known to last as long as possible, cost taking a back seat to reliability and not having to do the job all over again any time soon.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:32 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Originally Posted by JWA
Prices of the stock-type fuel pumps can vary greatly----apart from buying through the dealership at full retail you kinda get what you pay for.

These days according to most who've endured replacing them Bosch seems to be the preferred brand. Airtex once upon a time was OEM but reports here on FTE suggest they're not quite that long lasting these days.

I myself prefer something known to last as long as possible, cost taking a back seat to reliability and not having to do the job all over again any time soon.
In addition to what JW says, your comment,

"I use the van for light off road so I don't mind buying a little peace of mind."

makes me think spending some extra for a reliable pump may be worth it. jim

Old 02-17-2016, 11:03 AM
kennyfzj80
Senior User
Originally Posted by jimandnena
Hi Kenny,
the tank is 35 gallons. I found a video on replacing the pump that should fit your van, it shows an F150 but the install should be close enough. At 1:28 and 4:42 on the video it shows the vapor line for the tank and that may be where the problem is with the gas smell. Normally, the line puts a slight vacuum on the tank to pull fuel vapors through a charcoal filter and then into the intake for burning. Good luck. jim

FEATURED VIDEO: ?How to Install E2059MN?
Hi Jim,

Just reviewing the video and that tank isn't the same as mine.

Mine was a handicap van with drop flooring and the whole tank sits behind the axle.

Looking online I think it is a ford bronco tank 32-33 gallon that the people that did the conversion used.

Are these fuel pumps interchangeable of am I going to hunt this thing down?

Is there anywhere on the tank with a part number or an indicator of how many gallons so I can get the right part number?

Thanks.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:01 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
There could be some kind of part number that would connect to Ford if it was a Bronco tank. As with any non-OEM changes, the hunt for parts can be tricky. Are the folks who did the conversion still around? They would be the best shot at getting info.

Worst case, drop the tank, pull the pump, and look for clues there. Not the best method but sometimes it is all we have. The best news is that Ford used the same pump on lots of models. Oreilly's posts a list of model applications on parts but if the tank isn't standard, that may not help much. jim