1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Mulling. I need absolutely everybody's input.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 06:29 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
That's good Stewart, Hey honey be back in a couple weeks. I mitt get away with that but most won't. But it is a no-brainer to me also.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:32 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by sunuvabug
Rich, you don`t need to wait for their bottle as there is nothing super special about it.

Find a small plastic bottle with a good screw cap (juice or condiment bottle or jar) that closes tightly, clean it out really well, capture 4-5 ounces of used oil in it, seal and pack it up really well, send along your particulars along with information like the oil you use, truck mileage, miles on oil, what your concern(s) are and ship it off to Blackstone...
Well that's useful. I went on their website on all they had was "get our free kit". I'll dig deeper, and if I can't find the form to fill out, I'll PM you. Thanks for that.

Originally Posted by nossliw
Thought he was hauling it down with his Prius?...
Maybe I can drop number 7, install the engine in the Prius, and drive it there. What kind of mileage do you suppose I could get? Imagine the look on the ricers' faces on the way back... and the scorns from the other Prius drivers in either direction.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:39 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
...install the engine in the Prius, and drive it there. What kind of mileage do you suppose I could get? Imagine the look on the ricers' faces on the way back... and the scorns from the other Prius drivers in either direction.
You should be able to tow a very tiny uhaul trailer with the Prius, right?

Old 02-09-2016, 07:25 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Well that's useful. I went on their website on all they had was "get our free kit". I'll dig deeper, and if I can't find the form to fill out, I'll PM you. Thanks for that.

Maybe I can drop number 7, install the engine in the Prius, and drive it there. What kind of mileage do you suppose I could get? Imagine the look on the ricers' faces on the way back... and the scorns from the other Prius drivers in either direction.
Rich... I seem to recall a rather large CAT dealer in Spokane...they can handle the oil analysis.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:57 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
CAT dealers can do oil analysis? Anybody else? I have Portland, Seattle, and Spokane nearby.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:04 PM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Rich, I've got a few of the blackstone bottles, I can priority mail one if you like. PM if interested.

Edit: I would expect the blackstone to come back relatively inconclusive. I bet the bearings are fine, it's a ring/piston or valve issue which won't necessarily show up. You may find some elevated AL levels but not a smoking gun. It's a good test but, it seems you're past that and moving forward with a proper rebuild in which case, why not just cut your oil filter open (with the right tool like an exhaust tubing cutter or oil filter cutter) and that will reveal quite a bit.

I'll be happy to send a couple sample bottles to you if you do need them though.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:01 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
I may have hit pay "dirt". There is a lab in Spokane, WA (3-hour drive from home) that does oil filter analysis. I happen to have an oil bypass filter on Stinky that's due for a change, so this may be the way to get better answers. I'm calling them tomorrow, and I might have a sample to them by Friday.

You guys are really stepping up with the support. I'll let everybody know how things progress.

My thermal camera is allegedly in by tomorrow, and my inspection camera should be in my P.O. box by now. That article posted by snknby123 pointed out that there was a small run of PMR engines in 2000 - so I know where I first want to use that inspection camera.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:33 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CAT dealers can do oil analysis? Anybody else? I have Portland, Seattle, and Spokane nearby.
Rich, This entire thing you got going on is such a bummer with all the time, energy and heart you put into this truck. I'm sorry for your headache.

Yes, Cat will do oil analysis. My buddy does it all the time and that's who I use.

Was good to talk to you on the phone the other night and sorry it was so late.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:05 AM
'02strokerpilot
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMO if you have the time to spend constantly fixing little issues, normal wear and tear type stuff then spend the money on a rebuild and make it BADA$$...If the pumps, wiring harnesses, suspension, joints, axles, drivelines, rubber boots, intake issues and whatnot ARE going to crimp you on time and the like, consider weighing the brand new truck option. $600 a month or so and you are free from issues, the 6.7L has been out for awhile, stellar motor and trans setup, you don't have to worry about it... These dealerships are BEGGING for 7.3's lately, you will get a pretty penny for that rig you've built. Here in Idaho, they don't even really consider how the motors run, they are considerate of interior and the running gear, people all want to throw a "built" motor in these and make them crazy. I can't get the dealership to quit asking when I'm trading in my truck and I've only got 215K on it. You are quite a mechanic and diagnostic Guru though and I get why you love to do it. Good luck in your decision! I so wish they had a Torque-shift trans to 7.3L compatibility...I'd never get rid of this truck, 3SPD with OD is so 2000's lol...

BTW, thank you for all of your posts! You have been so much help to me and you probably don't even know it! I hope you choose to stick with the 7.3L so I can continue to absorb your knowledge...

Old 02-12-2016, 12:50 AM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh don't you worry, He's not getting rid of it

Old 02-12-2016, 01:06 AM
Joe Tippet
New User
just sayin

I'm gonna pull my 302 out my truck and rebuild it starting tomorrow I'll post some pics let me know if you have any questions

Old 02-12-2016, 01:15 AM
'02strokerpilot
Senior User
Originally Posted by Joe Tippet
I'm gonna pull my 302 out my truck and rebuild it starting tomorrow I'll post some pics let me know if you have any questions
Suggestion, put a 444CI 7.3 in instead of the little 302

Old 02-12-2016, 01:33 AM
Joe Tippet
New User
Originally Posted by '02strokerpilot
Suggestion, put a 444CI 7.3 in instead of the little 302
I burn up the tires as is, and I don't haul a lot of weight around, I just don't need anything that big. It is an option though

Old 02-12-2016, 04:50 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I have to pull the oil filter to send to Spokane for analysis, and this is when it decides to rain. Oh well... thank gawd for creepers and asphalt.

One time I had to get the water/rust out of the cylinders in a 302 boat motor (before Merc switched to 307s), and one time I needed a valve job on a 289. When I saw the valves on that 289, I totally got why it was a superior motor over the 302 - that thing can breath. Those were two of my three experiences with heads off an engine, and all of them could tuck under my arm. The heads alone on this project are not arm-tuckers. I would be so far out of my depth on this rebuild - I'm glad there are shops that do this.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:12 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
One time I had to get the water/rust out of the cylinders in a 302 boat motor
I have one of these waiting for my overburdened garage space to be pulled and rebuilt in the Crownline. Mercruiser...that will be fun

Quick Reply: Mulling. I need absolutely everybody's input.