6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Solar battery tender

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 08:00 AM
Mark_in_co
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Solar battery tender

Any one use a solar battery tender, like those that sit on the dash and plug into the cigarette lighter? There's a ton of 'em out there to choose from. I was just wondering if any one was using them on these trucks and would recommend one? There's also a lot of different wattage's on these too, I think I'd need/like one that outputs at least 5W. I haven't run across any yet, but one that desulfates would be a nice plus!

I don't drive the truck much more than a day or two a week, some weeks not at all, and would like to keep the batteries charged up good for long life.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:09 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
What good could that really do thru a power port?

Josh

Old 02-02-2016, 09:37 AM
Mark_in_co
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
What good could that really do thru a power port?

Josh
I thought the same thing initially, but there's enough companies making them to include Deltran(Battery Tender), Schumaker, etc. that it must work to some extent. Most of them have decent reviews as well. That's why I was asking if anybody on here has used them in these trucks and can speak from experience. Being a dual battery system and all I didn't know if these things really had any effect at all.

The "old fashion" ones that plug into the wall work better I'm sure, but I have to park in the street and drag a cord down the driveway and across the sidewalk. I'd rather not have the liability of some moron tripping on the cord across the sidewalk.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:49 AM
dscabra
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought a DelTran solar maintainer and it was pathetic. I bought it to maintain a battery on my 17kw generator that does a self-test once per week. I'm in Colorado and get a lot of sun and the maintainer failed to keep my generator's battery charged. It could have been a defective unit, but I'll stick with A/C maintainers from now on.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:06 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark_in_co
I thought the same thing initially, but there's enough companies making them to include Deltran(Battery Tender), Schumaker, etc. that it must work to some extent. Most of them have decent reviews as well. That's why I was asking if anybody on here has used them in these trucks and can speak from experience. Being a dual battery system and all I didn't know if these things really had any effect at all.

The "old fashion" ones that plug into the wall work better I'm sure, but I have to park in the street and drag a cord down the driveway and across the sidewalk. I'd rather not have the liability of some moron tripping on the cord across the sidewalk.
I can only imagine it really only offsets normal parasitic drain from computers, security etc. might not be a bad idea for camping, hunting or leaving the truck for a bit.

As for actual topping up and charging I highly doubt it is that effective, especially if you're looking for an extra boost during cold start.

Josh

Old 02-02-2016, 12:21 PM
Mark_in_co
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
I can only imagine it really only offsets normal parasitic drain from computers, security etc. might not be a bad idea for camping, hunting or leaving the truck for a bit.

As for actual topping up and charging I highly doubt it is that effective, especially if you're looking for an extra boost during cold start.

Josh
No, definitely not looking for it to replace a real battery charger! I was only looking at it to maintain them in between driving, basically to offset the parasitic drains you mention.

Originally Posted by dscabra
I bought a DelTran solar maintainer and it was pathetic. I bought it to maintain a battery on my 17kw generator that does a self-test once per week. I'm in Colorado and get a lot of sun and the maintainer failed to keep my generator's battery charged. It could have been a defective unit, but I'll stick with A/C maintainers from now on.

I'm in CO as well and with the sun we get here, that's why I thought it might be a good route. Perhaps the tech needs to get better still.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:30 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
It all depends on the size of the unit. The little harbor freight ones are almost worthless but might keep a battery up if its not drawing anything. They sell a larger one as does the rest of the folks which are to keep the battery up. I run one but hook it up direct to the battery on the motorhome. It came with a plug in for either the cig lighter or clips, I put a plug in for it on extended wires and run it thru the fender to the dash. seeps to help keep the battery up. I think its a 5 amp or something like that. oriellys had one for around $50, guess if ya wanted you could buy the bigger one they had for around $125 (I did but never used). I keep a 3amp plugged into the truck and it keeps both batteries up, but requires a elec source. It also is wired to a plug for easy connect/removal.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:03 PM
jlillie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking about a setup like i have in my sailboat. I use a ProSport Dual bank charger conditioner. I leave it plugged in whenever the boat is not is use.
I've been pondering buying one for my truck but since the batteries are in parallel i'd have to hook up a battery switch like i have on my boat (i guess) - The Charger is designed to maintain 1 battery per bank.
It'd be cool to just plug it in whenever i know i wont be using the truck for a few days.

"ProSport’s exclusive Sequential Multi-Stage Charging process delivers three sequenced modes of operation: Charging, Conditioning and Maintenance that fully charges your batteries while maximizing their service life."
PROFESSIONAL MARINER ProSport 12 Heavy-Duty Marine Battery Charger, 12A, 12/24V, 2 Bank Charger | West Marine

Old 02-03-2016, 01:52 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
I just picked up a 7 watt self regulating panel from Northern Supply on sale for $29. I wasn't expecting much but I read the reviews and all seamed happy with it. I use it on one of my flatbed trailers that I have with a deep cycle battery for the winch. The first day using it, it brought the battery from 12.2 volts to 14.6 in the sunlight. It keeps the battery charged so I'm happy with its performance. Now I wish I bought 2 more.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:08 AM
Mark_in_co
Senior User
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
I just picked up a 7 watt self regulating panel from Northern Supply on sale for $29. I wasn't expecting much but I read the reviews and all seamed happy with it. I use it on one of my flatbed trailers that I have with a deep cycle battery for the winch. The first day using it, it brought the battery from 12.2 volts to 14.6 in the sunlight. It keeps the battery charged so I'm happy with its performance. Now I wish I bought 2 more.
They have an NPower 7 watt one on sale for $29. Is that the one you got? It looks like a nice unit! I was also thinking about picking up a second one for the camper to keep those batteries charged up too.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:34 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
They have an NPower 7 watt one on sale for $29. Is that the one you got? It looks like a nice unit! I was also thinking about picking up a second one for the camper to keep those batteries charged up too.
Item 28650. It's cloudy today but is maintaining.

I'd like to get 2 more, the boat and 5er.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:07 AM
Tideman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just ordered 2. Now on sale for $19.99 hope they are ok. #28650
Northern Tool

Old 02-03-2016, 09:33 AM
Mark_in_co
Senior User
I think I'll be picking up 1 for my 5er and 1 for the truck. Just need to find an accessory port plug to wire it to to make it "plug and play".

Old 02-03-2016, 10:16 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
I think I'll be picking up 1 for my 5er and 1 for the truck. Just need to find an accessory port plug to wire it to to make it "plug and play".
You could mount it on the roof of the 5er and run the wires down the fridge vent on the roof, unless you have a side vent. Then tap the wires into the 12v leads to the fridge.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:34 AM
Mark_in_co
Senior User
That's a good idea for the 5er, I was thinking of how to mount it on there and get the wires down cleanly. Not sure what type of vent I have, need to get up there and look.

Quick Reply: Solar battery tender