Engine Rebuild Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 01:09 PM
AbandonedBronco
Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts
Mine did say that. All we did was weigh each one and find which 6 were the "closest" to each other. I don't recall having to do anything more to weight match them.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:58 PM
The Frenchtown Flyer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
I worded it incorrectly. The pin offset should be on the passenger side. Sorry

Old 02-16-2017, 03:20 PM
AbandonedBronco
Originally Posted by The Frenchtown Flyer
I worded it incorrectly. The pin offset should be on the passenger side. Sorry
No worries.
It pushed me to research and learn the actual physics behind it, so definitely a good thing.

Thanks for clarifying though! Definitely helps me feel at ease.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:06 AM
AbandonedBronco
So, had an interesting issue yesterday. My second package of install goodies showed up from Summit, along with my Mr. Gasket 260.

However, even though the gasket had a label on it for a Ford 300, it had a Chevy 292 manifold gasket in it.

Chatted with their customer support and they said that Mr. Gasket is no longer in business! That, and after they went out, they've had severe issues with all their stuff being mislabeled and was concerned about sending me a direct replacement since there's no telling what I'd get. Had any of you heard about this with Mr. Gasket?

We weren't able to find a suitable alternative, so he said he'd have the shipping guys physically compare what they pull off the shelf to the picture on their website before shipping it. It'll be here tomorrow, so I'll find out. Either way, if that's the case, I might have to get another one to just store on the shelf for the future.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:41 PM
Tarheel Blue
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey AB,
In case you don't get the right one from Rock, take a look at this one FORD Header/Exhaust Manifold Gasket
It's what I'm going with when I install my EFI manifolds and my Offy C.

I've heard lots of good things about them.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:19 PM
AbandonedBronco
I took a look at that gasket just last night.
I think I would have sent for it if it wasn't some special order they'd have to do, and that it's a good $15 more than the Mr. Gasket (which works great).

But, if they can't get me the gasket I'm looking for due to the labeling issues, that Remflex is the next on my list.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:21 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by F-250 restorer
AB, I'm curious. My set of the same pistons says 'balanced set' on the label. Did yours need much balancing? I was going to install mine as is ... now I have to ck them. Always best to ck.
Yep it's always a good idea to double check everything. Check the component weights, bearing clearances, ring end gaps, etc. Even if they are suppose to be a matched set. You don't know for sure unless you check.

Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco
I took a look at that gasket just last night.
I think I would have sent for it if it wasn't some special order they'd have to do, and that it's a good $15 more than the Mr. Gasket (which works great).

But, if they can't get me the gasket I'm looking for due to the labeling issues, that Remflex is the next on my list.
The Remflex is a great gasket. It's the one I'm going with on both my 240 & 300. I'm also going with the their gasket material for my header too. I'm making a two piece long tube header. With a bolt together flange in the bellhousing area. When I need to service the clutch or transmission I can unbolt the lower half and leave the rest of the header/intake on the engine.

The Remflex is a great gasket that will seal up any minor defects/flange warpage. And it will never burn out, unlike the paper style gaskets. Just don't bend it. If you do it will crack. Yes it cost more, but it's a gasket you'll never have to worry about a leak with it.

At least with Remflex if you order the 300 gasket you should receive a gasket for a 300! Sorry man I couldn't resist. I know it sucks getting the wrong parts. I've been there more then once. Hopefully Summit can get you the correct ones.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:23 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
So, had an interesting issue yesterday. My second package of install goodies showed up from Summit, along with my Mr. Gasket 260.

However, even though the gasket had a label on it for a Ford 300, it had a Chevy 292 manifold gasket in it.
Dang, that means I may have gotten the wrong one as well. It's been so long since I got it I can't remember what I ordered. Time to review. Thx for the heads up.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:38 AM
Brian_153624
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian_153624
Abandoned, I'm in Boise, I have a set of oil pan rails that I wasn't able to use. I would be happy to donate to the cause. Let me know if you would be interested.
Justin this is Brian. I don't have enough post to instant message. Can you just call? 914-88two six

Old 02-18-2017, 11:46 AM
AbandonedBronco
Originally Posted by Brian_153624
Justin this is Brian. I don't have enough post to instant message. Can you just call? 914-88two six
Hi Brian,
I got your instant message from, it looked like, Facebook? I wrote you back on it. Either way, I'll try and give you a ring this weekend. Hope all's well!

Old 02-18-2017, 12:43 PM
AbandonedBronco
Originally Posted by fordman75
At least with Remflex if you order the 300 gasket you should receive a gasket for a 300! Sorry man I couldn't resist. I know it sucks getting the wrong parts. I've been there more then once. Hopefully Summit can get you the correct ones.
Yeah, that's definitely a perk!

The replacement came today and now I have two Chevy 292 gaskets...

Old 02-18-2017, 02:28 PM
AbandonedBronco
So, I'm looking into the Remflex gasket, but can't tell what it's made out of. If I need to trim it slightly to open it up to fit the ports (since the head has been P&P), will that be doable? Or is that something that'd ruin it? Granted, it might already be plenty opened up.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:55 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
So, I'm looking into the Remflex gasket, but can't tell what it's made out of. If I need to trim it slightly to open it up to fit the ports (since the head has been P&P), will that be doable? Or is that something that'd ruin it? Granted, it might already be plenty opened up.
They sell sheets of this material so you can also make your own gaskets ( like I mentioned for the split flange in my headers ) . They say you can cut it with a sharp utility knife or razor blade. It's made of a soft graphite. I hogged out my 240 ports pretty good on my head. I plan to use a X-acto knife to trim/open up the ports on my gasket.

Here's a link to their website that give more info on it.

COLLECTOR/CONNECTOR Flange Exhaust Gasket

Old 02-18-2017, 05:17 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
Have you tried to buy Mr. G 260 locally? I was poking around on the O'reilley's site the other day, and noticed they had it. Other stores might have left over stock as well.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:27 AM
AbandonedBronco
Originally Posted by fordman75
They sell sheets of this material so you can also make your own gaskets ( like I mentioned for the split flange in my headers ) . They say you can cut it with a sharp utility knife or razor blade. It's made of a soft graphite. I hogged out my 240 ports pretty good on my head. I plan to use a X-acto knife to trim/open up the ports on my gasket.
Good to know.

Originally Posted by F-250 restorer
Have you tried to buy Mr. G 260 locally? I was poking around on the O'reilley's site the other day, and noticed they had it. Other stores might have left over stock as well.
I was thinking about that too, since I've seen it on O'Reilly's site as well. However, I think last time I got one from them, they didn't have them in-house stock, so they'd have to have it shipped in as well. Dunno if they'd run into the same issue.

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild Part 2