Sponsored by: Moser

Who has a plow on their F150?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 08:28 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who has a plow on their F150?

I'm not interested on the why I shouldn't so let me save you some time. I had a plow on my old F250 diesel and it's much nicer to plow my 800' of driveway while sitting in a heated cab sipping coffee. So I'm thinking about a Fisher Homesteader or Sno Way 26 based on what I've read. Last resort is to find a used Super Duty with a plow or put one on it. I only do my driveway and moms 250' but she is moving. I would also probably have to do my sisters, dads and whoever else is in dire need when we get a bigger storm. Having a son who will be starting college in the fall might be an issue, but first things first I'm getting too old for this crap

I spent a total of maybe 10 hours on and off over the weekend and only did my driveway. I'd much rather be sitting with the dogs and rest of my family by the wood stove on days like this weekend had. CFO wouldn't let me get one this past year but I think she realizes after this storm I need one, and has agreed to it. I'll wait until after the winter is over for this purchase, just gathering info at this point. Thanks in advance

Old 01-26-2016, 04:39 AM
svt2205
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my opinion, Fisher is the way to go, but not a homesteader. I would look at the HT. I've known a few who had homesteaders and one coworker with a Snoway. None were happy with these plows.

The homesteader blade is way too short and my friends snoway had serious breakage issues. He spent more time shoveling as a result.

I ran Fisher standard duty 7.5 foot plows on my 03 and my 07 F150's with only a single problem on the 07. Smoked a fan clutch with lead to an early transmission failure. But from a plowing perspective the standard duty plow was just ok. Between an insufficient attack angle and being too light, it would push over snow too much. The HT appears to address both of these issues with a more aggressive attack angle and downforce. Here in NH there a lots of folks with plow with half tons but folks on these sites frown at the concept. I would have plowed with my 11 and now with my 13, if not for that EPAS and the excessively compromised choices for plows that could be fitted.

Hope this helps. Post what you choose.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:03 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Thanks for the response. When I was googling F150 plows the one thread I read was the one on another truck forum where you were very helpful. IIRC you recommended the HT but the guy bought the Homesteader, and never came back in that one to say how it worked. I will heed your advice as you have much more experience than I plowing snow.

I was on Fishers website but they don't show pricing, might have to search around unless you have an idea what that cost? I was looking at the Meyer home plow but that was around $3300 and receiver mounted. If I'm going to spend that kind of coin I'll buy a real mounted plow

Old 01-26-2016, 09:02 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
We run a Western 7.5 metal plow for back up on our lot on an '04. It sags in the front, but it clears the narrow ways fine and I wouldn't have a problem with it for a single location use. We were advised against the composite blades as they were getting high failure rates. So long as your not traveling with the plow, I'd take the sacrifice and run a heavier durable plow. You want it to last as long as the truck.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:29 AM
svt2205
Posting Guru
I forgot to post that you can find helpful info on http://www.plowsite.com/ also.

There was a guy there running a monster V plow on a F150. Probably not what you're looking to do, but worth a look if you can find it. Shows things that our trucks can handle that folks say NO WAY to.

You'll need to contact your local Fisher dealer for pricing and they are expensive. Talk with them and see what sort of guidance they can offer too. They'll know what to avoid.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:43 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Thanks, not looking for a monster v plow but I have time. I figured this thread would get better replies now than in June or July haha. I agree the composite blade is not what I'm looking for anyway, I'd rather spend a few extra $ and get metal.

I was actually out last night plowing, got a 911 call from Septa they needed one of their Train stations opened up around Manayunk. We sent 2 wheel loaders in there and cleared out all the piles. I ran a Cat 938H, nice little loader. I'm waiting to hear if we are going to do more tonight at another location. I could use that loader at my house for an hour or 2

Also I have been on plowsite.com before I just didn't really think to check there. I'll pay it a visit thanks

Old 01-27-2016, 04:57 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,231 Likes on 808 Posts
Ford endorses BOSS, why no mention of their products? And in contrast, my dealer down here in Va has two F-250's mounted with Western plows. He's owns a ton of retail space and keeps them plowed.

Why isn't he using BOSS since it seems to be Ford's go to?

Old 01-27-2016, 05:06 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
There's a plow shop local to me I used when I had the diesel. I'll see what they have to say. Our company trucks that have plows all have Western I think, F250/350 I'm not biased I will get the best I can afford Sir

Old 01-27-2016, 09:12 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Why isn't he using BOSS since it seems to be Ford's go to?
Perhaps poor local support. In plowing a good plow service station is as valuable as a good truck dealership. I know some of the shops around here run 24 hour business when snow comes to keep the guys on the road. If there isn't a good Boss dealer around then they'd go elsewhere. We're lucky to have many shops where I live, and I drive by about 5 to get to the guys that take care of me right away. Its an extra 30 min drive, but worth it. The snow plow rebate for SD trucks is not brand specific either, so there isn't an inherent value to going with Boss.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:39 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Still kicking around looking for a used SD with a plow already on it after the season. Even thinking of a reg or supercab since my kids are older and one is driving his own car. I will evaluate my options in the Spring.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:08 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
The trucks I see traded in with a plow are usually pretty beat. My personal F550 is just such an example. If I didn't also operate a small farm I could't use the thing without an awful lot of work. IMO you're better finding a used truck and used plow separate even if it cost a little more. No doubt, plowing is tough on transmissions and salt is tough on frames and bodies. The good thing on the Super Duty is many plow mounts work fine over several years since there really haven't been changes.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:10 PM
spotdog14
New User
I've got one on my Expedition for just clearing my 500 foot driveway. Just attaches to a front receiver hitch.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:24 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Originally Posted by Frantz
The trucks I see traded in with a plow are usually pretty beat. My personal F550 is just such an example. If I didn't also operate a small farm I could't use the thing without an awful lot of work. IMO you're better finding a used truck and used plow separate even if it cost a little more. No doubt, plowing is tough on transmissions and salt is tough on frames and bodies. The good thing on the Super Duty is many plow mounts work fine over several years since there really haven't been changes.

I thought about that. I'm not 100% on it, and I'd be open to a SD and plow separately purchased. I think the best thing would be to get a plow for mine but there's other factors involved. CFO wants to get my son a better car and she wants to take that capital out of what I would use towards a newer truck. I say I get what I need then I worry about him. He's going to college in the fall and I doubt he can take it with him so that's where I stand.

Spot dog I thought about one of those but my driveway is ~700' long through the woods, and it's millings not paved. I'm not sure how that would work and honestly I'm not gambling that it will. I'd rather spend more upfront for a heavier steel "real" plow, for lack of a better term. I had a Meyer 7'6" with the E47 pump on the old truck and it worked fine, except the E47 pump. Those familiar know what I mean

I will probably change my mind on SD vs mine 20 times before I make any decision, because I like to torture myself like that Thanks, and keep the opinions coming

Old 01-27-2016, 02:42 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
This is what I have. Pics from the deck during the storm ( pic #3 ), then from the road at the bottom of the driveway. That's a 54" concrete storm pipe under the driveway below my work truck, roughly 9' drop into the creek bed. From the pine tree that's at the point, it's a tear drop where the drive loops around and back down to the pine. I have managed the 6-12" storms with a quad and 4' plow on it but this was too much, coming down at times 2"+ an hour. It's fun for about 15 minutes on the quad in a storm then it just sucks

Old 01-27-2016, 03:05 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Originally Posted by spotdog14
I've got one on my Expedition for just clearing my 500 foot driveway. Just attaches to a front receiver hitch.

I just read yours is 500'. How long have you had the Snowsport? How has it held up and what's the deepest you have plowed? I prefer to have something with hydraulics up/down and power angle from the cab

Quick Reply: Who has a plow on their F150?