Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Whats the purpose of the ccv being ran into the intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 12:46 AM
Brucemiller18
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the purpose of the ccv being ran into the intake

I have a 7.3 and my buddy has a moded 6.0 what the point of the ccv vent being ran straight into the intake

Old 01-13-2016, 01:00 AM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So it doesn't vent raw crankcase fumes into the atmosphere. Burn it instead.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:34 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Emissions.

You can change where it vents.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:35 AM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
There is a substantial amount of vacuum applied to the CCV being routed to the intake and this vacuum prevents oil burning, leaks, and emissions. It's unnecessary to route differently and will cause more issues than benefits. In HP terms, you may even lose power re-routing. Vacuum pumps are used extensively in racing engines.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:59 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Aside from all the other stuff the CCV routing does, I like the internals of the air system lubed with that oil fog. Because of humidity and condensation, water is the alternative - and I'd like a little oil coating my parts before the moisture gets a turn.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:36 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by SRBF150
There is a substantial amount of vacuum applied to the CCV being routed to the intake and this vacuum prevents oil burning, leaks, and emissions. It's unnecessary to route differently and will cause more issues than benefits. In HP terms, you may even lose power re-routing. Vacuum pumps are used extensively in racing engines.
This right here ^^^

Lower crankcase pressure is always better. Routing to the atmosphere is one of the worst "mods" ever, IMHO.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:44 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 415 Likes on 237 Posts
Have mine on a closed return (down to the catch can and back) and don't have any issues.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:00 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Tugly
I like the internals of the air system lubed with that oil fog. Because of humidity and condensation, water it the alternative - and I'd like a little oil coating my parts before the moisture gets a turn.
I believe the same thing, which is why I decided to leave it as it came from the factory. Whether it's right or wrong, I still like the idea of having a small amount of oil vapor coating the inside of the intake and turbo. It's never been excessive or accumulated anywhere, and I keep my engine bay clean anyway so any that seeps through the stock boots is minimal.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:05 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,348 Likes on 1,755 Posts
Quite a lot of soot is suspended in the oil fog of crankcase vapors. Here is what the CCV filter captured in about 5K miles...

(Sorry for the pic rotation... I tried for 20 minutes to get them rotated the way I shot them (with a camera, not a phone), and to look the way they appear on in my camera and computer, but the FTE album software absolutely insists on presenting these sideways, while providing no means of correction. Even if I rotate them "wrong" in my computer on purpose, the FTE software STILL presents them the same way: sideways.)

Old 01-13-2016, 06:38 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
I don't want all that vapor and stuff being ran through the turbo/intake system. If there's always oil going into the intercooler, how long before you have to pull the it off and clean it out?? Way I look at it, a big rig is vented into the air with just a hose hanging down by the oil pan... If it works for them engines for a million miles, why won't it work for these for 500,000 or so....

I've thought about a evac type deal for this app, but not sure how it would work. I've ran them on gassers with success, but it's a bit diff there....

Old 01-13-2016, 06:57 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
I don't want all that vapor and stuff being ran through the turbo/intake system. If there's always oil going into the intercooler, how long before you have to pull the it off and clean it out?? Way I look at it, a big rig is vented into the air with just a hose hanging down by the oil pan... If it works for them engines for a million miles, why won't it work for these for 500,000 or so....

I've thought about a evac type deal for this app, but not sure how it would work. I've ran them on gassers with success, but it's a bit diff there....
You realistically should never HAVE to clean it out. Unless you have a ton of blowby and you are pumping a lot of oil into the intake.

I prefer the catch can and reroute to intake method. I hate having an oil mess when I pull my intercooler pipes off.

Here is my setup...

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 01-14-2016, 04:00 AM
Y2KW57
Ah HA! So THAT's where BD Diesel of Canada got their CCV kit from... Mann+Hummel. And BD marketed it like they invented it. And lo and behold, it looks like it is made in China, designed by a German company.

I stuck with Racor... made in USA, designed in USA, by a USA based company, the first company to introduce CCV filtration to market, and the same company that designed several OEM filters for the Super Duty.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:54 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
I don't want all that vapor and stuff being ran through the turbo/intake system. If there's always oil going into the intercooler, how long before you have to pull the it off and clean it out??
This is a common question, as well as a common misconception. My last post had a picture, it shows inside the passenger side (downwind side) of my intercooler, looking toward the bottom, at 250K miles.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:51 AM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Ah HA! So THAT's where BD Diesel of Canada got their CCV kit from... Mann+Hummel. And BD marketed it like they invented it. And lo and behold, it looks like it is made in China, designed by a German company.

I stuck with Racor... made in USA, designed in USA, by a USA based company, the first company to introduce CCV filtration to market, and the same company that designed several OEM filters for the Super Duty.

Just want to correct you here... That hose is made in China, not the filter assembly itself. The hose is a separate part I purchased from an auto parts store. The filter assembly comes with no hoses. It is made in Germany.

But yes, BD uses this exact element and sells it for quite a bit more.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 01-14-2016, 11:38 AM
Y2KW57
Originally Posted by Justin@DP-Tuner
Just want to correct you here... That hose is made in China, not the filter assembly itself. The hose is a separate part I purchased from an auto parts store. The filter assembly comes with no hoses. It is made in Germany.

But yes, BD uses this exact element and sells it for quite a bit more.

Thanks for the correction on country of origin. Still not USA.

However, at least the design and engineering ethics where it did come from are known for quality. And it gives the longshoremen on the East coast a little something to do, instead of the West coast receiving all the imports.

Nice end run around BD Diesel's profit mark up on the exact same device.

I've thought about doing something similar... getting a DashDaq XL from Drew Technologies .

Quick Reply: Whats the purpose of the ccv being ran into the intake