6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Warm No Start, Low ICP

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 09:04 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Warm No Start, Low ICP

Well, my truck left me stranded for the first time tonight, in the rain, After working a 12 hour shift. Truck ran alittle rough for the outside temperature for the first couple of minutes on the way home but cleared up quickly. I stopped for 5min at the local BBQ place, came back out and no start. 3-30 second cranks ICP never went over 205, IPR was at 77.8 (thought that was kinda odd). I've had a couple long cranks when warm lately but ICP was coming up ok when it happened, maybe a little slow but it would be over 500 well before it fired up. I have been suspicious of the FICM lately (FMP low) and had thought that might be the issue. Unplugged the ICP and read 658, still no start. "TBC fault" weirdly fades in on the message center after 25 sec or so cranking.

It has FICM and cam/crank sync. 160 rpm cranking. All PM is up to date. Was making good ICP when warm last time I watched it a couple weeks ago, well over 3k at fairly hard acceleration, over 4K pinned to the floor for a bit.

I guess I'm looking at an air test, but I haven't built up the fittings to hook up the air (I've got the fitting for the engine end). I've got updated standpipes and dummy plugs in the garage for it, guess I could throw those in and see how it acts. Am I missing anything? Work has got my head a little frazzled. I'm gonna go back and see if it will crank in another hour or so. Hate to leave it uptown overnight.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:35 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pull the IPR Eric, double check your ICPV too, man good luck bud hate to hear this especially in the rain and tired.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:45 PM
Shaneb75
Strokin Okie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
If you need to borrow them PM me your address and I will get them shipped out in the morning... But, if you haven't touched the SPs and dummy plugs that might be a quick fix...

Ford Truck Picture by Shaneb75 | 887868 | Ford-Trucks.com

Old 12-29-2015, 09:47 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Thanx man, just went back up and gave it a try -no go. ICP built to 380, just not enough to get r done. ECT had dropped from 201 to 174 (it's warm here still). I think it will crank after sittin overnight. It's fairly safe where it's at but still hate to leave it overnight. Brought the FICM relay home with me for just a little extra insurance.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:53 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Sounds like your dummy plugs have gone south for the winter. Almost willing to bet it's the passenger side plug too.

Had a similar thing happen on a buddy's 2007 F350. He called me earlier saying it was taking too long to fire. This was when he took his daughter to soccer practice. He takes his daughter home, goes to the gun range and from there it wouldn't restart. I hooked up the AE and found that ICP was building and the engine would come ever so close to starting, but the pressure would fall preventing that. On the advice of m-chan68, I put in the updated dummy plugs and standpipes. After some cranking to build pressure, it fired and ran like it's old self again.

It's not that hard of a job to do, it just takes time and a little finaglin'

Old 12-30-2015, 08:34 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Good luck, I'm sure you'll get er done. We all hate that when it comes juuuuuuust up to the magic 500 but won't quiet get there.
Keep us posted on the progress.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:19 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Well, got it home, it fired up after 10 seconds of cranking. ICP jumped to 2200 and IPR at 66 for a few seconds after it fired-? Settled down into a raggedy idle. I left it there for 5min or so and then drove it about 3 miles home. Something is clearly off as it was a terrible slug and with the AP% at 35 it was making 3,500psi of ICP and IPR was commanding 65%. It never acted like that before, what would cause it to command so much high side oil pressure at that low af a throttle? Once I got home ECT was up to 163°, ICP was 583 and IPR was 22.1 at idle, pretty normal. I let it sit 5min and cranked it back up. It was a long fast sounding crank (didn't get rpm) but it reluctantly started after 15 seconds or so with the ICP only reading 380. I suspect if it had warmed up a little more it wouldn't have started.

All this sounds a little wacky I know. I think I'm going to throw the stand pipes and dummy plugs at it (hopefully find some bad o-rings somewhere) and pull and inspect the IPR, I think I have a new screen if it's bad. On a good note, I'm off work until Monday. Yea! A little break anyway

Old 12-30-2015, 07:58 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
You Must Own a 6.0 , when you spend your Vacation time working on your 6.0, cussing ,good luck bud hope it's an easy fix

Old 12-30-2015, 08:10 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
Well, got it home, it fired up after 10 seconds of cranking. ICP jumped to 2200 and IPR at 66 for a few seconds after it fired-? Settled down into a raggedy idle. I left it there for 5min or so and then drove it about 3 miles home. Something is clearly off as it was a terrible slug and with the AP% at 35 it was making 3,500psi of ICP and IPR was commanding 65%. It never acted like that before, what would cause it to command so much high side oil pressure at that low af a throttle? Once I got home ECT was up to 163°, ICP was 583 and IPR was 22.1 at idle, pretty normal. I let it sit 5min and cranked it back up. It was a long fast sounding crank (didn't get rpm) but it reluctantly started after 15 seconds or so with the ICP only reading 380. I suspect if it had warmed up a little more it wouldn't have started.

All this sounds a little wacky I know. I think I'm going to throw the stand pipes and dummy plugs at it (hopefully find some bad o-rings somewhere) and pull and inspect the IPR, I think I have a new screen if it's bad. On a good note, I'm off work until Monday. Yea! A little break anyway

Perhaps she was a bit cranky due to air in the HPO system.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:37 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Maybe so, I'm thinking like Toreador_Diesel said, leaking dummy plug with oil rail draining on shut down. I guess that could make for some weird readings and raggedy running until it purged the air.

Scott, lol, this week I worked in a different area from my usual location. My "temp" boss was difficult, what need to be done was unclear, instructions were wrong, I had a couple of professional screw offs on my crew and the rest of them complained, I had two guys doing most of the work, weather was crappy and we were outside. A day or even two in the garage working by myself with some good music playing and a refreshing beverage will be a vacation of sorts .

Old 12-30-2015, 08:51 PM
KES08
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just went thru this identical problem a few weeks ago. Started getting a long crank before start and finally while out picking up firewood I had a hot no start. My stand pipes and dummy plugs were susceptible but after digging in I found the top o-rings to the injectors blown apart bc the ball tube o-rings in the oil rail were leaking. My ball tubes were grooved as well due to the high pressure oil spraying around them from the bad O-rings. I had never heard of this but sounds like it's more common than you'd think. If you are going to open up the valve covers and replace the stand pipes and dummy plugs I would highly recommend replacing the ball tube o-rings in the oil rail as well. You will need a special socket to take them out.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:09 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 04badford
You Must Own a 6.0 , when you spend your Vacation time working on your 6.0, cussing ,good luck bud hope it's an easy fix
I resemble that remark

Old 12-31-2015, 07:28 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
I got some good garage time today. Pulled driver side down, dummy plug o-ring was shot.

Stand pipe o-rings were worn.

Nipple cups were tight, I don't think I'm gonna mess with the right now. This truck has had pretty bad stiction since I bought it and once you get in this far, might as well polish the spool valves and see if that helps. Ford place was open so I managed to snag a set of injector seal kits.

Ready to go back in.

This was the worst one, yikes! That may not do.

Only issue with injectors were they all had wear on the spool valves. Three of four were sticky when I pulled them down and after shining them up they moved easily but I think that wear may cause an issue. The one in the pic above was the worst but they all had some. You could feel it with a fingernail but you couldn't "hang" a nail on it after polishing.

Cotton Bowl just kicked off Roll Tide! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Old 12-31-2015, 07:32 PM
Shaneb75
Strokin Okie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Good deal! Did you get it back together yet? Just curious how polishing the spool valves improved the stiction.

Last edited by Shaneb75; 12-31-2015 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Freakin auto correct!!!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2015, 07:48 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Yea interested in how those bad boys work out for ya, ( but more Interested in ) Whatcha going to do with the 50cal? It was only the first hiccup don't put her out to pasture yet lol

Quick Reply: Warm No Start, Low ICP