1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

302 headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 11:50 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by filthy6
Talked to the engine builder. 302w block with 351w heads. He gave me a handful of headers to try. I am trying to add photos for reference but having no luck. Can't find my photo instructions. Add computers to the list of things that "BULLY" me. It's for a '56 F100 with stock front end and steering box. Any directions on the photos will be helpful. Thanks
Looking forward to the pics. It makes no sense that any header that truly fits a fox mustang 302 could possibly have block interference. 351W heads or not, as long as they are factory heads. I'm inclined to think the used headers you picked up are flakey.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:13 PM
filthy6
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Talked to the engine builder. 302w block with 351w heads. He gave me a handful of headers to try. I am trying to add photos for reference but having no luck. Can't find my photo instructions. Add computers to the list of things that "BULLY" me. It's for a '56 F100 with stock front end and steering box. Any directions on the photos will be helpful. Thanks
f100 header clearance 3.JPG If this picture downloads I think it shows the clearance at the front of the engine. Don't know why it is sideways.Didn't take it sideways. Shows up on my computer sideways. It has enough clearance to put a fan belt on even though it looks like it's touching. Don't know how I managed to load this picture when others wouldn't load. Could still use a tutorial on how to download pics......Both FTE member and not......Thanks

Attached Images  

Last edited by filthy6; 12-19-2015 at 10:17 PM. Reason: left something out
Old 12-19-2015, 10:45 PM
filthy6
Elder User
This is the space I am trying to put it in

Old 12-21-2015, 09:47 PM
Flat Ernie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote=fatfenders]It makes no sense that any header that truly fits a fox mustang 302 could possibly have block interference. 351W heads or not, as long as they are factory heads. I'm inclined to think the used headers you picked up are flakey.[/quoqte]
Agreed. Although, sometimes something pushing on the header elsewhere gives the impression there is interference somewhere there really isn't - I ran into this fitting my headers. They weren't sitting flush to the head (engine mount interference I couldn't see initially), so appeared to have interference with the steering box...

Do you have pics of your engine mount setup? That engine looks low and forward, but it's difficult to truly tell from just this one pic. Engine location may compound header clearance issues...still

Old 12-21-2015, 10:30 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
I'd like to see more pics too. If they are truly Fox ford shorties they should clear, but crowd the bellhousing flange on the drivers side. Should miss by inches on the passenger side. Mine clear 90s style car motormounts fine. They miss the firewall by a mile. I have a Volare box so that's not relevant. I just feel bad because I recommended them since the are probably the easiest set of headers I ever installed.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:34 AM
filthy6
Elder User
[QUOTE=Flat Ernie;15883928]
Originally Posted by fatfenders
It makes no sense that any header that truly fits a fox mustang 302 could possibly have block interference. 351W heads or not, as long as they are factory heads. I'm inclined to think the used headers you picked up are flakey.[/quoqte]
Agreed. Although, sometimes something pushing on the header elsewhere gives the impression there is interference somewhere there really isn't - I ran into this fitting my headers. They weren't sitting flush to the head (engine mount interference I couldn't see initially), so appeared to have interference with the steering box...

Do you have pics of your engine mount setup? That engine looks low and forward, but it's difficult to truly tell from just this one pic. Engine location may compound header clearance issues...still
I determined that the fox body mustang headers are aftermarket. Admittedly I am pretty quick to say "they don't fit" since that's what I've come to expect. I will try them again with a little more caution. I am still having problems posting pic but still trying. Front to back the valve covers are about an inch from the firewall. Side to side the engine is offset 1" toward the passenger side.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:41 AM
filthy6
Elder User
Originally Posted by fatfenders
I'd like to see more pics too. If they are truly Fox ford shorties they should clear, but crowd the bellhousing flange on the drivers side. Should miss by inches on the passenger side. Mine clear 90s style car motormounts fine. They miss the firewall by a mile. I have a Volare box so that's not relevant. I just feel bad because I recommended them since the are probably the easiest set of headers I ever installed.
Don't feel bad. The engine builder sent me home with three and a half sets of headers that were hanging on his wall and none of them fit for various reasons. Not all bad news. The original headers I bought months ago new from summit appear to fit the best. I am going to the muffler shop today to see if they can be bent or modified to work.

Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2015, 10:49 AM
filthy6
Elder User
Don't feel bad. The engine builder sent me home with three and a half sets of headers that were hanging on his wall and none of them fit for various reasons. Not all bad news. The original headers I bought months ago new from summit appear to fit the best. I am going to the muffler shop today to see if they can be bent or modified to work.
TRying again to sent pics.

Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2015, 10:58 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
You might have a look at 87-96 Truck SBF headers (shorties) before cutting those up. The exits are turned down sharper (closer to 90*) since the heads sit higher & have to clear the firewall at a sharper angle than mustang headers headers which sit lower & have less sharper angles (closer to 45* or splitting the difference) Look at the shorties on my 5.8 in one of my albums.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:24 PM
Flat Ernie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check carefully that rear outboard corner of your engine mount. This is where I had my interference with this style of mount (Trans-dapt). It is all but impossible to see with the header up against the head. Yet it will hold the header out quite a bit.

I had to use Sanderson headers, trim the heck out of my engine mount here, and still a little "heat and dimple" the header collector in the immediate area. But looking back, some Fox Mustang headers might've worked with the same adjustments...

Old 12-22-2015, 07:34 PM
filthy6
Elder User
Thanks FLAT ERNIE for rotating my photo. And thanks for all of the responses. It's raining today or I would have an update. Tomorrow I'm having two teeth pulled and my dog is getting an ultrasound. Merry Christmas to me! Keep an eye out as my journey continues after CHRISTMAS.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:36 PM
filthy6
Elder User
Progress! The motor builder sent me home with an old exhaust manifold. He told me what he thought it was from but I didn't pay attention because I figured it wouldn't fit. It fit! It might even show up as a picture in this post but I doubt it. I know it's backward but my goal is to use the manifold to finalize the location of the motor and transmission then add on the bits and pieces to get this thing running. No doubt I will make changes later on but at least I can drive the truck to get the advise and help I need. After I get it running I am going to look into the Sanderson FF2 as advised and also explore the '87 to '96 truck SBF headers option mentioned.

Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2016, 01:39 PM
filthy6
Elder User
I wish I knew how to prevent these pics from coming out sideways.

Attached Images