1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'55 panel build

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 09:40 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 556 Likes on 360 Posts
When I get that far I'll probably have to pay someone to finalize the bodywork and paint mine. The Paint (Tri color) alone is $2,000.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:53 PM
sstephanuik
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah it's not cheap. I'm doing my own body work and paint. Still will be $800 in material I'm sure. and I'm doing a solid white top and original solid sea sprite green body color with a flat clear.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:11 PM
sstephanuik
Senior User
Some weekend work I was able to get to. I got the insides of the rear section of frame boxed in and the axle notches outlined. I still have to make the rest of the frame fit that shape but wanted to weld the axle to the existing frame for the 4 link mock up.

I got the lower 4 link bars tacked in. The triangulated bars were another story. Since I have the offset center explorer axle, the mounts with the kit don't really work all that well. So instead of going from the pig outward to the frame I am going to go from the axle inward to a center bar. I have to go purchase that this week so I can create new front mounts and get all that tacked in. Other than that I feel good about the progress in the handful of hours I actually worked on it.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:38 PM
sstephanuik
Senior User
Finally got some time and energy to get back into the truck. Got the frame all done and in paint but haven't gotten any good solid pics of it. I did media blast the body today though. It'll get epoxy primer tomorrow morning. Trying to stay motivated but the heat is brutal now.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:41 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,200 Likes on 2,691 Posts
It has been awhile since you posted, thanks for the update..

Old 07-08-2016, 09:46 PM
sstephanuik
Senior User
I've been swamped with work which is good and just haven't had time to get on it. But now I can take a section at a time and massage it all and hope to have body work done in 4-5 months realistically. Lots to do. Found more holes than I expected but I've got steel and a welder so no worries there.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:28 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 556 Likes on 360 Posts
Wish I was doing body work. Looks good to see you're making some forward movement.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:48 PM
sstephanuik
Senior User
So I was getting way ahead of myself thinking while driving home from work today and was curious to see what you guys would think. I'm going with a faux patina paint job back to original color for the main color but I don't want to do much if any chrome. My thoughts were to reuse the original pitted outer door handles basically as is maybe sand them a little smoother and flat clear coat to seal them in.
Also I have the original grill in solid shape that's already got a natural patina. Don't want to chrome it so maybe just leave it or paint and faux patina to better match the truck?
I'm miles and miles of work away but figured having a good plan will help stream line all the little details that get in the way later on. Thanks

Old 07-14-2016, 12:01 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by sstephanuik
So I was getting way ahead of myself thinking while driving home from work today and was curious to see what you guys would think. I'm going with a faux patina paint job back to original color for the main color but I don't want to do much if any chrome. My thoughts were to reuse the original pitted outer door handles basically as is maybe sand them a little smoother and flat clear coat to seal them in.
Also I have the original grill in solid shape that's already got a natural patina. Don't want to chrome it so maybe just leave it or paint and faux patina to better match the truck?
I'm miles and miles of work away but figured having a good plan will help stream line all the little details that get in the way later on. Thanks
On my truck anything that was originally chrome or stainless, I'm going to paint white. With your patina paint job maybe painting the trim pieces white or gray and distressing them would work. I don't know what you think about that idea. But it's another option for you.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:23 AM
sstephanuik
Senior User
Yeah I will definitely keep that in mind. I'm looking to keep the old chrome for now but like anything I'm sure I'll revise my ideas as I go.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:03 AM
sstephanuik
Senior User
I got a little time today to do a bit of metal work I've been wanting to get at for some time. Had the idea to remove the drip rails all the way around the truck. Figure it will make a nice smooth transition. Then see a post yesterday from kindigit designs of a 55 truck they did just that on. They also removed the turn signal lights in front like I'm going to do as well. Haha. Guess I had a good idea that I'd never seen until now and at least I know it looks good that way now. Here is a few pics of the small part I got welded in.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:18 PM
sstephanuik
Senior User
Got most of the rest of the front welded in today. I'm about at the point now that I have to get a shrinker/stretcher and figure out how to use it and carry on.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:05 PM
sstephanuik
Senior User
Took my original hood emblems off and sanded them smooth as I could to remove loose chrome and rust then cleaned them up and shot them with some flat clear. They turned out pretty sweet I think. Probably will do the same with my door handles and any other original chrome or stainless. Not sure for the door window trim since it's pretty much useless. Luckily I've got time to think about it.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:16 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
That kindigit guy looks like like one of the little rascals

Old 08-26-2016, 12:32 PM
Daniels54
Senior User
I saw your Fauxtina idea! My truck had originally been resprayed some decades ago and then covered with a brown then black primers after. I had to buy another hood that was capable of repair. I sprayed the pieces I had to fix with my new coat of red. It didn't exactly match the original or the respray, but it was close enough for me. I then copied the previous owner and sprayed a brown then black primer. I used an orbital sander to take off the paints a little before the primers were able to dry. I also used a scotchbrite pad to take down any glossy areas I didn't like. Here's the result

The doors cab and fenders are original paint underneath the two coats of primer. I wet sanded everything down by hand! The hood, gravel pan, and panels behind the grille have been given the fauxtina treatment. I may do the top of the cab and some other areas as well.

As far as chrome, I painted some parts silver, but have since whited out the grille emblems and the headlight rings.

Great progress! I look forward to seeing more as well.

Quick Reply: '55 panel build