1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

New 1960 F100 4x4 Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 04:40 PM
BAD ROD
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
New 1960 F100 4x4 Project

Picked up this 1960 F100 4x4 project. It's an ex-county vehicle, stock color. Hasn't run in quite a while. Looking forward to digging in!

Really straight and little rust. Already have parts on order.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:30 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Cool truck! Y block V8 or sixer? (Ya know ya can login a little more often than every 12 years.)

More pics, pliz.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:18 PM
BAD ROD
Junior User
Tedster, haha! I've been busy!

It's a Y block 4 speed. I have always loved the '57-60's and have been looking for a the right example for a while. The truck is mostly original and not cut up or abused.

I haven't started the engine yet. Owner past away and it has been sitting for a long time. It supposedly was started up every year or so and it's a good runner. I hope so and will find out in a week or two.

Michael

Old 11-24-2015, 08:29 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Looks good from the front, looks good from the rear, how about a peak up her skirt. What are your plans? As much as I like original paint, that shade doesn't do much for me.

You didn't ask, but .. Soak the cylinders with Marvel's, also a quart in the oil, a few ounces in the fuel, it really is just the stuff for anything that has sat for a long time. Keeps rings and valves from sticking and bent pushrods. Old stale fuel will wreak havoc this way.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:51 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow what a great base to start, whats your plans.
Welcome! ahhh back?

Old 11-24-2015, 11:49 PM
kg6tai
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awe man that truck is so cool throw on a set of tires clean it up get her running and drive it , if mine was that nice to start with that's what I would do but I wasn't that lucky lol again awesome truck!

Old 11-25-2015, 10:33 AM
BAD ROD
Junior User
My plans of "stage one" for this truck is to just make it an original runner/driver. I will use it as a truck, run to my cabin in the mountains, and pull my 1960 vintage trailer to events.

I have always wanted an orange vehicle. I really like the color. The paint is super oxidized, so it looks a little chalky especially in photos. Here's a pic with it wet which shows the real color a bit more. Who doesn't love Creamsicles!?

Here is a shot of the interior. Just curious, was a radio an option?

Last edited by BAD ROD; 11-25-2015 at 10:34 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-25-2015, 10:42 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
What Ford shade is that? "Circus Peanut Orange"? lol

"I've always wanted an orange truck". Guess what buddy? Somebody up there likes you, cuz you got it!

Sorry.. that truck is awesome though. Try some rubbing compound like Meguires and then carnauba wax and I bet it would look fantastic. I mean,. if you like that sort of thing.

edit: Yes, radios were an extra cost option. In those days, government procurement vehicles were usually pretty spartan and people paid attention to where taxpayer dollars went. Cloward & Piven hadn't yet met the steroids etc.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:59 AM
BAD ROD
Junior User
Haha!! Hmmmm, circus peanut, I like that. **mental note: check DMV for personalized plate "CRSPNUT"**

I'm going to rub out the paint and see where it goes. Wondering if I could clear coat it to protect that gorgeous shade of splendor!

The lack of driver door key hole is interesting too. Quite charming.

Michael

Old 11-25-2015, 11:08 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
If you want to lock the truck, hafta exit from the passenger side?

For color matching/touch up purposes:

Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2015, 11:43 AM
hardlyrider
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great starter. I have faith in that 292. I just started my '58 after sitting idle 25 yrs. Amazing how little I had to do to get it going. Looking forward to more pics!

Old 11-25-2015, 12:14 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I do like Creamsicles! (CRMSYCL) Circus peanuts notsomuch! LOL
One way or another that is a solid fridge to start with, I like your phase one idea. If you want to clear coat it be careful of any compounds or waxes, that will give you major headaches. I think a pre-paint prep cleaner then a light sanding then another prep cleaning and couple coats of clear coat would look great. You could even add a satin to the clear coat to hold the gloss down. Or just buff and wax the hell out of it. Lucky for you the paint looks to be in good shape.
Good luck in your quest!

Old 11-25-2015, 12:17 PM
BAD ROD
Junior User
Hardlyrider, great to know! I also have high expectations for the little Y-Block. I have the week off from work between Christmas and New Years and plan to fire it up then.

Tedster, hilarious! I love those peanuts! I don't see this color as a stock color, maybe being a county vehicle new, it was ordered as "safety orange" color.

Yeah, need to lock the driver door with the handle and slide across the seat to the passenger door to get out and then lock the passenger door.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:22 PM
BAD ROD
Junior User
theodore, I'll probably try polish/wax first. And hold off on paint/clear coat primarily to focus on mechanicals. I would shoot the clear coat and I think its a little cold this time of year. Might want to wait till spring.

The truck has been repainted on the outside of the body. It is decent shape and pretty sure I can save it. I happen to be a fan of old paint. Here' one of my other toys....

Old 11-25-2015, 04:15 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Vaguely recall our local school system when I was a wee lad, they had some "official" truck of some kind at our grade school, can't remember exactly, but it was bright canary yellow, maybe they stole it from the railroad or something.

Government wasn't spendthrift in those days, not with H.R. Gross in the House, no sir. Official government vehicles didn't have AC or radios or any of that foo-foo sh#t. Even spending a gazillion dollars going to the Moon - there's this picture of Pres. Nixon at some welcome reception for our Astronauts. All there is, some red white and blue bunting strewn around, and all the guests of honor have standard issue government folding metal chairs, and Nixon in a cheap suit looking like he just popped out of some closet, a little rumpled but ready to go.

Today they probably have massage chairs with happy ending, but we can't smoke in a bar, can't leave earth orbit, and have to hitch a ride with the Russkies.

Jeeze Louise. Hey! you kids get off my lawn!

Quick Reply: New 1960 F100 4x4 Project