2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How high mileage is too high when buying?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 10:12 AM
Montana_Rig
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
How high mileage is too high when buying?

Still on the hunt for a decent condition F150 that hasn't doubled as an ashtray (I've passed on 2 now for that very reason!).

I found one a few hours away that looks incredibly sharp... 2007 SuperCab, 5.4L V8, newer tires and rims, FX4 package, and (finally!) a smoke-free interior. It's priced under book, and it fits very nicely within my budget... But, it's got 111k on the clock .

The guy assured me there are no mechanical issues, including the infamous cam phaser issue. He said the engine is very smooth sounding and the transmission shifts perfectly.

I'm going to look at it on Friday, but I've never purchased a vehicle with over 100k on the clock. Before I make a 6 hour round-trip drive, I guess I want to be sure that I'm still going to be able to get a lot of use out of this truck. I want to get at least a good 5-10 years out of it, and it's going to be doing everything from driving around town to hauling materials, hunting, and even the occasional bout of off-road driving. (casual off road driving... I'm not planning any trips to Moab!)

Anything I should be aware of for the 2007 models, or anything else I forgot to mention? Any input on buying a higher mileage F150 is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 11-24-2015, 11:13 AM
Derrick Perez
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would not hesitate to buy an f150 with 111k as long as you have it checked out by a mechanic..even if they say they have had it checked out its still a great idea to get your own trusted mechanic, or even just a different mechanic since your driving far away and guessing you dont know one out there... and get a carfax if available. i just bought my 04 f150 4x4 lariat supercrew with 145k not too long ago, and it took me a while to find the right one, and along the way i looked at one where the dealership said there were not problems but the transmission seemed to lag a bit and when i got it checked it was no good... There are obviously bad trucks out there but one with 100-150k miles shouldnt be near the end of its life in any means, a carfax with a regular maint record is always good to show how well the previous owner took care of it. and i know you said they said there were no issues but do you know if the spark plugs have been changed yet?

Old 11-24-2015, 04:29 PM
F150Torqued
Posting Guru
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
The answer to that question has almost unlimited variables. Highway/Urban miles, good/sloppy/bad maintenance and on and on. But as the owner of a 2004 F150 w/ 5.4L triton with 210,000 generally trouble free miles - I can say with a degree of certainty that it should still have serviceable life left. (The list of original parts on mine is extensive, including water pump, alternator, A/C comp, idler pulleys, trans, drive line, rear end - even the serpentine belt!)

I would caution though, to make SURE your test drive is long enough to get the engine up to FULL operating temperature. Do more than one warm-up trip / cool down if you can. This can produce a check engine light if there are pending codes. Many code readers will show/identify "grey" or "pending" codes. If you have, or have access to, a code reader or scanner that can read custom OBDII ports (PIDs), there is a wealth of info in the onboard computer that a seller CANNOT effectively hide. I got _burned_ by an well known local, long time favorite Buick dealership 'clearing codes' on my wife's car three times - just before we came in and drove it. (I am absolutely certain) He always proudly went and brought it up to the front for us like a valet. The CEL came on the very next day after we bought - and every next day after I reset it till I fixed it. I will never buy another vehicle without reading at least THREE (3) OBDII PIDs before the purchase. They are:

TRIP CNT ___ Number of Completed OBDII Trips. PID# 0100 __ This count is reset when codes are cleared and many codes require multiple "OBD trips" to set the CEL. A "trip" involves cold soak, engine warm up to operating temp, attaining freeway speeds and slow downs a couple of times, etc. A healthy vehicle should NOT have a low number in this count unless recent fairly significant service had been done.
CLRWRMUP __ Number Warm-ups since DTC’s Cleared. PID# 16DC __ This count is reset when DTC are cleared and counts warmups, not drive cycles. Any healthy vehicle would be driven MANY cycles without a "clear DTC" command being issued to it.
MFTOT __ Total number of misfires __ PID# 1616 __ This count is cleared at each "startup" and gives total misfires detected in the current run cycle or OBD trip. In a healthy engine - there should be basically NONE. I've made 100-150 mile trips over 2 to 3 hours without a single misfire. Test drive the vehicle several times in the 45-55 mph range in over drive. Put it under light load accelerating to enter a freeway, passing, or up an incline. Misfires in this range is BY FAR one of the most common complaints on this engine. And misfires are a good indicator of a variety of pending problems with the 5.4L.

AND - In spite of everything, since you are buying a 5.4L triton, don't be surprised if you hear what sounds like a lifter "TICK", and/or a diesel engine sound at idle when the oil gets up to full EOT. If not, don't be surprised if it appears after a few weeks. Especially if he has fresh oil in it, or a little heaver weight oil in it. [Not the end of the world. Mine has done this ALL its life. But it is definitely annoying and worrisome for some].

Your seller probably won't like me very much. But I hope this helps you.