Sponsored by:

Spring Change... V/B/C/ Icon, so many options

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 10:54 AM
anger65
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spring Change... V/B/C/ Icon, so many options

Been reading and talking with quite a few people... yes, I'm one of those people who over-analyzes everything.

We have an '01 4x4 7.3, with a big bumper up front (subject to change). The Ex is used as a family hauler, and we have a small boat, ~3.5k lbs... so not a lot of heavy towing. We are looking for a better ride than what we have, and a slight lift over stock, ie less than 4". I'd like to fit 35's but 33's will be acceptable if its a must.

Currently, the Ex has a Superlift "softride" lift front and rear, and it's too tall and rides rough. This could be in part to the 20's and short sidewall, but the springs cannot be helping. New tires/wheels are going on with the new springs.

Looking to go to either the V/B mod springs, or now considering the V/C's after a lot of reading on here.

The last options I'm looking at is Icon springs, or any other progressive springs.

I'm trying to get more feedback on the following:

1. V/B's vs the V/C's
2. Anyone with feedback who's tried these mods and also tried progressive springs like those from Icon, Full Traction, etc.
3. ATS vs OEM springs

Thanks for all the help. I've read for weeks, these are the loose ends I'm trying to tie up before pulling the trigger.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:30 PM
00X7.3PSD
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
There are options for suspension. My favorite is the 2005+ Superduty suspension swap. You can fit 35" tire without a lift. After the swap you have more option for suspension upgrade. Such as Carli suspension, Pure performance, Icon, etc. But Carli suspension is my favorite. They have springs for Excursion if you call them.

I did the v/b spring swap then later found out about the 05+ superduty suspension swap. Very happy I did the swap.

05+ suspension, you can upgrade the gearbox with Cardone 27-7621N. Awesome upgrade. Steering effort improves greatly. With 35" tires, I can turn my wheel from lock to lock with the same effort as a stock 2wd Excursion.

My advice,

1st - swap to 05+ superduty suspension. 08-10 if you can find them. Upgrade your gearbox to Cardone 27-7621N. Choose which Carli suspension is right for you.

2nd - Call Carli Suspension, they have springs for our Excursion.

3rd - V/B swap

Old 11-17-2015, 12:35 PM
X-Hibition
Elder User
Many years ago I did the 5" all spring Icon swap, with every option I could get. I like the ride from their multi leaf skinny springs and also appreciate a lift with no blocks.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:19 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
I'm in the same boat as anger65.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:13 PM
anger65
Senior User
How much did the 05 and up coil conversion run? I have a few threads open at home but haven't had time to look at them.

For now, unless that is an easy and cost comparable swap, I'll go with the v/b or v/c. Would love more input on the b vs c.

Cheers

Old 11-17-2015, 10:24 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by anger65
How much did the 05 and up coil conversion run?
A conversion is gonna cost you some serious coin. Some VERY serious coin.

Between the V/B spring upgrade (or any similar spring upgrade) and the '05 conversion, there is zero cost comparison. The conversion costs a ton more.

Stewart

Old 11-17-2015, 10:51 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
While I've ridden in a few C-rear Excursions, I don't have enough time in one to seriously comment on the B vs C setup. I did prefer the ride of the C rears a little more than my B-mods, however I prefer a stiffer ride in general. With my existing V and B-mod, the rig still floats over bumps and is comfortable, but it's still a bit too soft for my liking and big dips and bumps aren't handled as composed as I'd like (shocks aren't the issue either). I'm not looking for a ride like an unloaded DRW 1-ton mind you.

With the bumper up front and your desire to fit some 35's, have you considered the X code springs up front? I have V's (sourced new) with a 2" drop kit, and my 35x12.50's are close to rubbing. I had to trim an inch off the lower bumper corners to clear comfortably when turning on anything other than flat ground. My wheels had something to do with that, 18x10's with -25mm offset. My old 315/75 16's on stock backspacing rubbed a little bit on the rear of the fender liner. I also wish I had gone with X and C codes instead of the V and B-mod. I'm also surprised at the bit of droop I still get towing the Chevelle on a tandem axle... combined weight of maybe, at most, 6800lbs and the rear still squats about 1.5 - 2".

Old 11-18-2015, 09:11 AM
anger65
Senior User
I have thought about W's, but don't want the ride more firm, and I'm thinking the X's have to be a firmer ride than the V's.

The bumper we have will likely be replaced in the near future, and I won't have a winch.

It's interesting in looking at the springs and weights associated, that the C's have a lower weight rating than the B. Is that correct?

Old 11-18-2015, 09:24 AM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
I think you've got that backwards, B's are rated below C's in any chart I've seen.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:41 AM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
I think you've got that backwards, B's are rated below C's in any chart I've seen.
There are two versions of Cs, SRW and DRW. I have SRW and like them very much. Rate wise a SRW C and a B are very close, the difference is that the SRW C has a later engagement of the secondary rate. However, the first rate rolls into the secondary so the perceived benefits might negotiable. I've said it a few times before that if you're replacing worn factory springs with used Super duty springs, then anything is an upgrade. If you're buying new from Ford, then study the rates to your hearts content!

B 320/670, transitions at ~1650 lbs
SRW C 330/650, transitions at ~1800 lbs
DRW C 350/730, transitions at ~1800 lbs

From Ford the cheapest new spring is the B spring, at least when I did my swap.

With my new from Ford SRW C's, I have a slight rake with new V's up front and that's using the stock Excursion block.

HTH

PS If I were to do it again, I'd try W springs for the front. The rate isn't much greater but the ride height should be about an inch.

Last edited by RobRoss; 11-18-2015 at 10:42 AM. Reason: added PS
Old 11-18-2015, 01:25 PM
anger65
Senior User
Red,

Do u have drop shackles or stock?

Krazee,
I had read that SRW C's had a slightly lower weight capacity than B's, but DRW C's were higher. I'll try to find it.

So maybe W/C are the way to go?

Or V/B with 2" shackles up front?

Good info all.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:29 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
That's where I got mixed up was the SRW vs DRW C's, makes total sense now.

If you were closer I'd offer a ride in mine to see how you like the ride

Old 11-18-2015, 01:30 PM
anger65
Senior User
Also how about more info on ATS vs OEM springs?

Old 11-18-2015, 02:02 PM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Red,

Do u have drop shackles or stock?

Krazee,
I had read that SRW C's had a slightly lower weight capacity than B's, but DRW C's were higher. I'll try to find it.

So maybe W/C are the way to go?

Or V/B with 2" shackles up front?

Good info all.

SRW C = 2780
DRW C - 3626
B = 2999

Keep in mind that the stock spring is 2471 lbs, what that means is 2471 lbs per side of sprung mass and most of our trucks should be about 1500 per side with a full tank. Most people would never max out any of the springs...imho.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:03 PM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Also how about more info on ATS vs OEM springs?
There is no way to compare them per specs. However, many people have them and seem to be happy with them (ride/stance etc...).

Quick Reply: Spring Change... V/B/C/ Icon, so many options