1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

california licence plate info?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 08:16 PM
Gary E
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
california licence plate info?

I want to use some original YOM plates. (year of manufacture) they just look right.

the stamped 56 is awesome but those stampings were used for a number of years and that 62 sticker means it was meant for a 1962 car. California considers pickups commercial vehicles.

how can I run these plates, should I scrape the 62 sticker off?

I can get new black plates and maybe yellow plates but they are not nice and sweaty like my set.

the DMV will always be a lot of fun and games I would just like to know how to guide them through it.....

Old 11-16-2015, 08:31 PM
avf100
Fleet Mechanic
Received 400 Likes on 188 Posts
This is my experience trying to use a set of old plates. Black w/yellow. I took them to AAA when I registered my truck. They did a search on the number and it came back that they were originally on a 68 mercury and the car was sent to a salvage yard and junked. So I couldn't use them because there was a record of them on file with the DMV.

So you need to see if they are "cleared", no record at the DMV.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:04 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary E
I want to use some original YOM plates. (year of manufacture) they just look right.

the stamped 56 is awesome but those stampings were used for a number of years and that 62 sticker means it was meant for a 1962 car. California considers pickups commercial vehicles.

how can I run these plates, should I scrape the 62 sticker off?

I can get new black plates and maybe yellow plates but they are not nice and sweaty like my set.

the DMV will always be a lot of fun and games I would just like to know how to guide them through it.....
The 62 sticker means that's the last year these plates were registered in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia. It does not mean they were on a 1962 vehicle. The plates could very well have been on a 1956 truck also. Only the DMV (or AAA as was mentioned) can tell you what they were on. I don't think you can use them on a truck in CA since it has to be registered as a commercial vehicle. But you should have fun checking with the DMV.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:52 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
The issue is not the "62" sticker, the issue is the number on the plate. If it is 3 letters followed by 3 numbers then it is a car plate...good luck trying to get that issued to a truck. The commercial plates have 1 letter followed by 2 numbers followed by 3 numbers...this is the plate you need for your truck.

I have YOM plates on my 56, I went through the process of determining if the plates were clear and then the reissue process for my truck. It is not a pleasant process but if you do your homework and prepare all the paperwork before you walk up to the DMV counter then it will happen. Do some internet searches and you will find that others have documented the process very well...get the forms and follow their instructions.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:40 PM
1950FordF1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have used a passenger YOM plate on a commercial pickup. Unless the plate is still in the system. A YOM plate can be held in suspense and not put on a vehicle. I have seen a few sold this way but must be put on a vehicle of the year it was registered for. YOM plates must be used on a vehicle of a year when the particular plate was issued with the correct year sticker. I.e. For my 1950 pickup I need a 47 plate with a 1950 tag. My 1930 model a was bought with 56 plates and I had the title to match. I could not use them bec. the year range for the plates were different than the year of the car. Some DMV clerks don't see these that often and may interject mis information. You may confuse them with a commercial plate question. You will still pay the commercial fees plus the YOM fees no matter what plate you have.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:14 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Back in the day you could specify whether you wanted to register your truck as commercial or private. Should you choose non-commercial, you got car plates and lost your parking privileges in "loading zones". You could also be ticketed if you were caught hauling anything in the bed. Fees were lower but you had the use the vehicle as a car and not a truck. I am not sure if this is still the case but I do know that many folks have attempted to put YOM car plates on their trucks without success. I have YOM plates on my 56 but I searched out commercial plates when I bought them just to be sure that I didn't run into anymore headaches than I knew that I was in store for at the DMV. Since my truck is a 56 and the year of issue of the plates is also 56 I did not run into any issues with stickers. Since the sticker is in no way associated with the plate or the vehicle it seems unreasonable to mandate that a sticker is in place...but then again it is the DMV.

EDIT: I just looked at the online form from the DMV for YOM plates...instructions state that any vehicle 1963 or later must have plates that conform to the model of the vehicle...car plates for cars, commercial plates for trucks. That implies that any truck prior to 1963 can have YOM car plates.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:50 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
EDIT: I just looked at the online form from the DMV for YOM plates...instructions state that any vehicle 1963 or later must have plates that conform to the model of the vehicle...car plates for cars, commercial plates for trucks. That implies that any truck prior to 1963 can have YOM car plates.
I read that today also. And it was a long time ago, but I thought my dad's 65 F100 had to be registered commercial, and him commenting on it being a new law. I remember his license number. Wish I had his truck...

Old 11-23-2015, 11:20 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Here is the link to the People's Republic of Kalifornia DMV website page regarding YOM plate regulations:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcmath:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/reg_hdbk/ch21/ch21_36

Old 11-23-2015, 11:34 AM
Gary E
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Yes I think I will be able to run these looking at the forms. I also think 56 is a no sticker year so I can just take the stickers off if needed. I will probably just run one plate until the police hassle me anyway.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:55 AM
1950FordF1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I were going to use the plates pictured I would remove the sticker before going into our DMV. Don't go in with the stickers on the plate!
There is no reason why they should not accept these for your 1956 vehicle. They do not need to be restored but must be in good original condition as yours are.
Should not be a problem.......... Download your forms and have them done before you go in.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:28 PM
mrcman58
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
you have a good chance that the plate is clear, the only other plate that has the same number configuration is the early 1963 base (prefix Letter) plates.
i have a ph number you can call the DMV in Sac, but i think you can do it on line now, you need to go through the yom lic plate application, they will check to see if the same number you have is taken, if it's not your in business, but you will need to have a pair of plates, you need form (REG 352) revised 6/2015, yom license plate application, and take off the sticker that you have on the plate. i have found that a hair dryer works great for that.

Last edited by mrcman58; 11-27-2015 at 11:30 PM. Reason: add something