Work Camping in National Parks

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 09:12 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Work Camping in National Parks

Wife and I are discussing work camping at one of the National Parks next year. Has anyone done this?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 11-14-2015, 08:26 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,752 Posts
I haven't personally done it, but have a couple of friends who did. Or had. One passed away. But not from working in the parks!

It's a great life. It is a job of humans dealing with humans though. Most positions are customer/camper/park user oriented, so dealing with people all day is part and parcel to the job of working the entrance gates or the gift shops.

I've stopped and talked with many workcamper couples I've seen at National and state parks I've visited. Earlier this year I drove up the eastern Florida coast, and spent about an hour talking with a fairly high ranking career army officer who was working the gate at a park somewhere along the way between the Cape and Jacksonville. His sons were army officers as well, getting ready to retire. His wife was across the road, working the information desk while he managed the gate.

They get to park their RV on site, which in this case had hookups. There is sometimes a little politicking between other workcampers for stints at popular destinations etc, but park management is very good at keeping the natural elder regression into childish ways at a very dull and affectionate roar.

Some of the best workcamping assignments go to the people who really study the natural history, indigenous human history, or ecology and geology of the area of interest. Those folks have evolved their positions into being curators and docents of the parks, so to speak, giving tour guides... which takes away a lot of the boredom out of collecting entrance fees in a kiosk.

Since you have a skill set related to fixing RVs, you would be especially handy to have around a campground, but that isn't a service that I think the Parks support. However, there are many private campgrounds, in some amazing places, that are run by business minded folks who wanted to run away from it all, but couldn't help but bring their business brains with them.

I've seen some of these guys set up one stop shops on their property... campsites, full hook ups, a food store, a mini camping world rv supply store, a repair facility... along with a beautiful lake, hiking, and underground caves to explore. Pretty much a self contained destination. With your RV skill set, you could probably trade full hookup camp time for a couple of hours of service a day during a time of your choosing, rather than a 6 hour shift as scheduled by a park.

That being said, the National Parks are very good about allowing work campers plenty of time to "retire" between shifts, so that they get a chance to actually do the second half of the word "workcamping".

Old 11-15-2015, 04:16 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Thanks, it is just an idea I am tossing around. I really have no interest in "retiring", just looking for something different and am at a point in life where I have that option.

Steve

Old 11-15-2015, 06:03 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
over on the good sam Camping forum.(Woodall). they have several post on work at state/national parts... and links. and work for camping fees on campgrounds.

the Best... on your investigations.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:16 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Thanks. As I said, this is just an idea as of now. I know I can work just about any place as there are hundreds of opening for techs. Just not sure what we want to do. My wife wants to wander in our RV and I can't say I am against it.

We started wintering in Florida last year to try staying out longer and it was nice not to be fixing furnaces in freezing temps, not that Tennessee gets cold like the North.

Steve

Old 11-15-2015, 10:19 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
I will soon find out.. I retired a few years ago.

Wife retires in 10 days... we will start a "FIRST".... 3 month trip around South Carolina... Never been there. starting December 01... till March/April ????

the reason I purchase this setup in July/August of this year.

I understand... I never want to be under a car/truck with dirty SNOW dripping on my face again.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:47 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
We like South Carolina and have beach camped Myrtle Beach in many different campgrounds and the state park. It is not warm enough for us to winter there, about the same as here in Tennessee, until you get way South.

We will be down around Fort Meyers, FL.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:07 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
I will find out.. I spent the month of February 2013 in south Florida.. did not like it.. weather was real warm *Hot*... but the land/scenery not so much.

hoping for 50's or better most days... State Park Snow Bird Special... 1/2 off...
do not care about night time temperatures.. We shall See...

I have made lots of big mistakes ... I hope this is NOT one of them..

but NO Snow would be real nice... 3 feet and 10 below.. should not be..

Old 11-15-2015, 01:34 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
The state park winter rate is great and the one in Myrtle is an easy ride over to the upscale restaurants by bike, which we have done often. Full hook-ups only at a very few spots, otherwise electric and water only. Site are level, not hard to get into for nearly all. Not much privacy between sites. The beach there is nice and you should have 50s most days. We didn't have hot last year in Florida. Topped out in low 70s at most. We are passing through S.C. right after Christmas, maybe sooner. Who knows? We came back too early last year and caught record lows for the month here in March. Not going to happen this year.

Steve

Old 11-15-2015, 02:04 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Yes, Myrtle Beach State Park for December..

then Huntington Beach for January.

I figure,, the Crowds will be less.. then Wife and I can sight see..

Old 11-15-2015, 02:07 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
if money permits.. I might try South Arizona next year... but that is a long way ... both TIME and Miles.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:17 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Based on our experience the crowds drop way off after the second week of October.

Steve

Old 11-15-2015, 03:56 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Based on our experience the crowds drop way off after the second week of October.

Steve

That is really good to hear... Thanks,,,

I dislike crowds, so more things the wife and I to see/do...

that was another thing in Florida... lots of people.. and even more cars... traffic...

Did you work with the public... like me..... I try to avoid many.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:15 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
I retire from the USAF in about 18 months which will be 22 years and 4 months of service. My wife and I are seriously looking at full timing in a 5th wheel trailer and work camping if/when we needed.

Check out the following sites for information.

https://www.workamper.com/

Summer Jobs and Seasonal Jobs in Great Places | CoolWorks.com

https://www.volunteer.gov/

During our travels across the country we have had the opportunity to speak with many, many work campers and think this is a lifestyle suited for us. The only problem we see is selling the home of our dreams and not regretting it.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:24 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,752 Posts
Also join the Escapees. That group has a culture of work camping. And, they have a job board for nomadic escapees. Create a profile here:

https://www.escapees.com/job-board

Quick Reply: Work Camping in National Parks