1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

new to the club! '52 F3

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 09:58 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Welcome to the FTE...nice score on the truck! It's amazing how much better they look when they are free of weeds and mouse habitats. As you can see by the posts already, there are many experts on this forum for your particular truck, good luck.

BTW - I did a quick search on Archie Cochrane Motors and found that there is a dealership in Billings, MT...http://www.billingsford.com/

Old 11-09-2015, 10:25 AM
mrcman58
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi and welcome to FTE, you have chosen a great site to be on, say by your name gold co are you is the gold country in cali? the background looks like it anyway, anyway with that said in California the easiest way around the reg issue is to do a lost title on it. they "the dmv" dosen't know where the truck was or anything about it except what you tell them, vehicles stay in the system for 5 to 7 years, unless they were Stolen then it could be 15 years to Indefinatly, OR - your friend could help you with this starting with a bill sale and what they call a "statement of facts form" in which basicly you explain all the details such as it was on his property when he bought it and would like to put it back on the road, it will have to have a vin varification. so you need 2 vin numbers in this case the frame # and in the glove box there should be another one, there's your 2 numbers. then the highway patrol inspection will consist of #1 it runs #2 the lights work #3 the brakes work #4 its safe for the road. you can make your own case on the seat belt issue, i have found that just depends on the officer. & you need to have it weighed, so you need to have a weight certificate. and to get that it has to have a bed on it, also it needs to be trailered to this appointment, its not that hard to get an old vehicle back on the road here just dont change horses in the middle of the river once you start the paper work!i noticed in the photos those old 17.5 truck rims these will have some trade value to someone. you might ought to grab them if you can

Old 11-09-2015, 11:51 AM
GoldCo
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
wow, thanks for the info! good to know...

my plan is to drop either a 351 or 302 in it -- if this 215 turns freely, are there folks that might be interested in rebuilding those, or are they a dime a dozen?

Originally Posted by truckdog62563
Add my welcome. Great to see another F-3 rescued. And a 52 at that. Your truck has the 5 Star Extra high end trim package described in the below factory picture. The Magic Air heater was also a high end option, sold separate from the 5 Star Extra package.

Your truck, like my project truck, came originally with the OHV 215 cubic inch inline six cylinder engine. The nose badge tells us that. The engine was new for 1952.

The truck began life as an Express bed 8' pickup body based on the full length running boards.

The rear axle is not original to the truck. The 8 lug x 6.5" pattern was correct for the F-2/F-3 models beginning in 1948, but the axle is an Eaton. The truck would have come with a split case Timken model 51524 axle. From your description it is clear the rear hubs have 9/16" studs versus 5/8" studs and nuts on the donor van. That suggests to me that the axle might have come from an IHC early 3/4 ton that I know had that combination of features.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:55 AM
GoldCo
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by raytasch
Looks like a good start to an interesting project. In some places, a vehicle that has been abandoned can be claimed by the property owner for unpaid storage.
thanks... nice looking truck in your avatar! what is a "script bed"?

Old 11-09-2015, 12:04 PM
GoldCo
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by mrcman58
Hi and welcome to FTE, you have chosen a great site to be on, say by your name gold co are you is the gold country in cali?
nope: GOLDen, COlorado.

i noticed in the photos those old 17.5 truck rims these will have some trade value to someone. you might ought to grab them if you can
good to know, thanks. there were a bunch of wheels laying around, including some really old ones used with wooden spokes.

i'll see if i can go through them and find the 17.5s. that reminds me though, how do i identify split rims or "widowmakers"? i only know as much as to stay away from them. were they used in this era by ford?

Old 11-09-2015, 12:05 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldCo
wow, thanks for the info! good to know...

my plan is to drop either a 351 or 302 in it -- if this 215 turns freely, are there folks that might be interested in rebuilding those, or are they a dime a dozen?
The Holley 1904 glass bowl carb should be saved, and the exhaust/intake manifold set saved if no cracks are found. Stu

Old 11-09-2015, 12:23 PM
mrcman58
Posting Guru

good to know, thanks. there were a bunch of wheels laying around, including some really old ones used with wooden spokes.

i'll see if i can go through them and find the 17.5s. that reminds me though, how do i identify split rims or "widowmakers"? i only know as much as to stay away from them. were they used in this era by ford?
opps sorry about that, the background looks a lot like the hills in the gold country and it fooled me, thats what i thought your name was,
needless to say disregard the dmv info. i've been to golden colorado, & thats beautiful country over there, went through the coors plant and then up the hill to look out mountain to buffalo bills grave site,

Old 11-09-2015, 12:30 PM
mrcman58
Posting Guru

opps sorry about that, the background looks a lot like the hills in the gold country and it fooled me, thats what i thought your name was,
needless to say disregard the dmv info. i've been to golden colorado, & thats beautiful country over there, went through the coors plant and then up the hill to look out mountain to buffalo bills grave site,

Old 11-09-2015, 12:41 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Widow makers - all F-3s, 48-52, came with 17" two part wheels. You probably have them on the front since the rears have been changed. The wheels have outer rims that are known as Firestone RH-5°. The below picture shows the center disc riveted to a raised section of the rim. That is the joint.

Since you said the front tires were scrubbed to shreds you probably don't have one holding air. Your donor van wheels should mount on the front just fine, really better than the rear as you described. Stu

Old 11-09-2015, 03:51 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
A script bed is a factory flat bed having the Ford logo in the center of the rear cross member. Below is a good old thread about them. Stu

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...s-that-is.html

Old 11-09-2015, 04:03 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome to FTE, looks a good great start to your project. the emblem on your magic air heater looks to be in really good shape. don't lose it, they are hard to find and seems like 99% of them are missing, (or smashed)

Old 11-09-2015, 04:09 PM
rzns60
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to FTE, excellent find there. Looking forward to see where it goes from here.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:04 PM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome to the forum! Nothing but friendly people and loads of information here. Good luck with the truck, and as others have said, keep us posted.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:11 PM
GoldCo
Laughing Gas
thanks... looking forward to spending some time searching around these forum.

one question some of you might know: best candidate donor for a dually rear-end? are late-model duallys only offered in F350s?

Old 11-09-2015, 06:45 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
thanks... looking forward to spending some time searching around these forum.

one question some of you might know: best candidate donor for a dually rear-end? are late-model duallys only offered in F350s?
A later Sterling from a box truck works well. I used a Dana 70 from a '69 F350 under the blue truck shown here.
The script bed is the stake script bed as shown in this picture.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: new to the club! '52 F3