Sponsored by: DP Tuner

drop washer fluid hose in cylinder !

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 08:46 AM
pechroc1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drop washer fluid hose in cylinder !

Like the title says I dropped about a 2 inch piece of small washer fluid hose in my cylinder while evacuating the oil from it .

Will it damage the valves If I ran it?

Any ideas to remove it without removing the head?

Old 11-02-2015, 08:54 AM
Bill Kay
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
That sux. I hate it for you, but you have to get it out. I would say the chances of blowing it completely by the valve and not causing any problems is slim to none. Maybe rotate the engine by hand until the piston is at the top and see if you can see it in there.

Good luck.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:12 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Get it out. You may want to go to the auto parts store, and buy an "inexpensive" stalk camera , rotate the engine by hand and make sure you get it out, or take the head off.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:39 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Ick. Triple ick. When I worked on well pumps long ago, I learned on important fact that sticks with me to this day: If there is something you don't want in the hole - you can drop it 6 feet from the hole and it will land in there anyway.

For the readers (a little late for pechroc1): I use small tubing no shorter than about a foot any time I work around open valve covers. While the injector nozzle and GP holes are quite small, the openings to the lifters are NOT.

If you dropped a steel piece in there, magnets can help. Not so much with the rubber, plastic, and brass stuff. Is the tubing poly or rubber? If you lift the piston, you won't be able to stand the tube up to fit it out from whence it came.

Best to leave the piston where it is, and locate a fine-tip dental pick to play "Operation". You might need both the injector and the GP out in order to come at it "in stereo" - working one tool to push it to the other. You might also use one hole with a borescope to see what you are doing with the tool. The injector nozzle hole will have more maneuverability with a tool than the GP hole.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:11 AM
pechroc1
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
Ick. Triple ick. When I worked on well pumps long ago, I learned on important fact that sticks with me to this day: If there is something you don't want in the hole - you can drop it 6 feet from the hole and it will land in there anyway.

For the readers (a little late for pechroc1): I use small tubing no shorter than about a foot any time I work around open valve covers. While the injector nozzle and GP holes are quite small, the openings to the lifters are NOT.

If you dropped a steel piece in there, magnets can help. Not so much with the rubber, plastic, and brass stuff. Is the tubing poly or rubber? If you lift the piston, you won't be able to stand the tube up to fit it out from whence it came.

Best to leave the piston where it is, and locate a fine-tip dental pick to play "Operation". You might need both the injector and the GP out in order to come at it "in stereo" - working one tool to push it to the other. You might also use one hole with a borescope to see what you are doing with the tool. The injector nozzle hole will have more maneuverability with a tool than the GP hole.
Its black rubber.
I was thinking a borescope with a needle attached to it.
The ones at home depot are too big to get thru. I was looking for something local. all the ones on ebay that attach to your phone (7mm or 5.5mm head) are in China and take 2 weeks to get here

Old 11-02-2015, 10:29 AM
CarterKraft
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Horrible freight has a smallish borescope. O'reillys has a Bosch borescope I noticed recently. I believe there is even a Ryobi branded one at home depot now.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:47 AM
pechroc1
Junior User
Originally Posted by pechroc1
Its black rubber.
I was thinking a borescope with a needle attached to it.
The ones at home depot are too big to get thru. I was looking for something local. all the ones on ebay that attach to your phone (7mm or 5.5mm head) are in China and take 2 weeks to get here
Just ordered one off Amazon for 45 bucks. It will be here tomorrow. Let you guys know how it turns out. Wish me luck.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:04 AM
lordtavo
Freshman User
That sucks! If it was me I would try to use my shop vac with the cone adapter and tape a heater hose or something to try to concentrate the pulling power to a small area. U would need to not let the vac run too long restricted because the motor needs the air to cool itself. Don't know this would work because the windshield hose isn't solid has a hole in it. But good luck hope u figure out how to get it out.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:12 PM
Macmathews
Elder User
Originally Posted by lordtavo
That sucks! If it was me I would try to use my shop vac with the cone adapter and tape a heater hose or something to try to concentrate the pulling power to a small area. U would need to not let the vac run too long restricted because the motor needs the air to cool itself. Don't know this would work because the windshield hose isn't solid has a hole in it. But good luck hope u figure out how to get it out.
This sounds like a good idea !

Kyle

Old 11-02-2015, 03:18 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I would use compressed air to try to blow it out.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:57 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Subscribing. Hoping to see scope pictures to see how helpful those things really are.

If that doesn't work, perhaps it's time for a new injector cup.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:03 PM
tjmike
More Turbo
Here's a crazy idea.

Maybe you can dissolve it?

You would need to find something that dissolves it and some way to suck the solution out of the cyll. without dissolving the hose. If it's volatile then sucking the fumes through a shop vac may not be a good idea either...

Old 11-02-2015, 07:44 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
...If that doesn't work, perhaps it's time for a new injector cup.
Behind the cup, there is steel - not a larger opening to the cylinder.

Originally Posted by tjmike
Here's a crazy idea.

Maybe you can dissolve it?

You would need to find something that dissolves it and some way to suck the solution out of the cyll. without dissolving the hose. If it's volatile then sucking the fumes through a shop vac may not be a good idea either...
The dissolved mess would flow into the cylinder and maybe work it's way into the oil. This is a great idea and may very well work, but an oil change would be in order. As for vacuuming - fuel, oil, and any other chemicals like acetone or MEK would make for a spectacular show somewhere in the area of the vacuum motor. In the immortal words of Adam Savage - "Am I missing an eyebrow?"

Old 11-02-2015, 07:48 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
burn it out?

Maybe a lill lighter fluid down the hole?

It is a cylinder.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:16 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
You'll get it and this experience will make you highly aware of this in the future.. Good luck and post us your fishing method..

Quick Reply: drop washer fluid hose in cylinder !