Best shock option.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 08:12 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Got mine on order from rock auto. They should look sharp with the new bfgs I'll be putting on soon!

Old 11-03-2015, 07:21 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Wooowhee my rs9000s arrived today! Man they are heavy!

Pics when I install then this weekend.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:49 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
I installed mine last weekend. The rears were no problem. I removed the spare beforehand to have more room. I don't know if it made any difference on the driver's side since I didn't even look up there with the spare in place. It didn't make any difference on the passenger side though, since the shock is in front of the axle.
The front shocks - the new nuts on the top are 5/8", the old ones are something else, bigger than 19mm though. I ended up using two crescent wrenches to remove the old top nut. This was really hurting my hand, so I eventually smartened up and got out the saws-all. Cut the tops right off, removed the bottom bolts, and was done in no time flat.
There are no instructions included with these shocks. I guess you're just supposed to be born knowing everything to look out for. Personally, I go by installation instructions every time, no matter how well I think I know what I am doing. Reminder - there is a right side up and an upside down to the top bushings on the front shocks.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:04 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
I got mine installed just in time for hunting. Sorry no time for pics as I was in a hurry.

I left them set at 5 and towed this about 400 mi on the way back from my hunting trip.

What a difference! I was impressed in the difference the rs9000 shocks made! Even the wife was happy!

Old 11-24-2015, 07:42 PM
dusty trail
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed the Rancho's, have them set on 5, what a difference.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:30 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Just thought I'd share my recent experience with the ranchos I just bought a few months ago.

I just went to get my 5ver from storage. I decided to set my air bags like I always do. But this time I adjusted the shocks to the 9 setting. I wasn't sure if it was necesary to adjust all 4 the same but I decided that was probably the best thing to do.

The road from the storage area is a whole bunch of heaved concrete highway. It's rough to say the least.

I was very impressed with the ride while towing. The suspension was firm but not rough, and did not hunt at all like the stockers would.

Very happy with the ranchos! Can't wait to get out camping!!!

Old 04-19-2016, 07:21 PM
Tom N OH
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Had the Ranchos on my 2012, the piston rods rusted & caused the seals to start leaking & the adjustment mechanisms seized up & would no longer work. Switched to the Bilsteins. I'll never buy the Ranchos again.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:56 PM
Rancho Suspension
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY (limited to qualifying Rancho® products only)*
Tenneco warrants qualifying Rancho® products against defects in materials or workmanship (except finish) when used under normal operating conditions for as long as the products are installed on, and the original purchaser owns, the original vehicle on which they were installed.

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY QUALIFYING PRODUCTS:

Rancho® quickLIFT™
Rancho® RS9000XL™ Shock Absorbers
Rancho® RS7000MT™ Monotube Shock Absorbers
Rancho® RS5000™ Shock Absorbers
Rancho® RS5000X™ Shock Absorbers
Rancho® Light Truck Suspension Components

Originally Posted by Tom N OH
Had the Ranchos on my 2012, the piston rods rusted & caused the seals to start leaking & the adjustment mechanisms seized up & would no longer work. Switched to the Bilsteins. I'll never buy the Ranchos again.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:56 AM
Tom N OH
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Rancho Suspension

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY (limited to qualifying Rancho® products only)*
Tenneco warrants qualifying Rancho® products against defects in materials or workmanship (except finish) when used under normal operating conditions for as long as the products are installed on, and the original purchaser owns, the original vehicle on which they were installed.

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY QUALIFYING PRODUCTS:

Rancho® quickLIFT™
Rancho® RS9000XL™ Shock Absorbers
Rancho® RS7000MT™ Monotube Shock Absorbers
Rancho® RS5000™ Shock Absorbers
Rancho® RS5000X™ Shock Absorbers
Rancho® Light Truck Suspension Components
Peachy. You'll give me more of the same junk that I just threw in the scrap metal bin. That is, if you don't deny the warranty claim for some obscure reason. I've learned that warranties aren't worth the paper that they are written on. I try to buy the best quality product I can find & never intend to TRY to use the warranty.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:20 AM
Rancho Suspension
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

You don't have to throw them away, you can sell them.

The warranty info is all there, just trying to help the next person.

Peachy. You'll give me more of the same junk that I just threw in the scrap metal bin. That is, if you don't deny the warranty claim for some obscure reason. I've learned that warranties aren't worth the paper that they are written on. I try to buy the best quality product I can find & never intend to TRY to use the warranty.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:43 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master

What makes you think the Bilstein's won't do the same thing? Did you not use the boots supplied with the shocks? I don't see any way for liquid to get to the piston rod when properly assembled and installed.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:17 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
If he is talking about the Ford supplied FX4 'Ranchos' , he then may have had a problem. If they are the aftermarket pieces, about the only way the piston rod would rust is if it were to be submerged as that rod is supposed to be chrome plated to resist most road chemicals and usual humidity. There may have been a process problem, but why haven't others chimed in over the past couple years?

Old 04-20-2016, 12:51 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Irelands child
If he is talking about the Ford supplied FX4 'Ranchos' , he then may have had a problem. If they are the aftermarket pieces, about the only way the piston rod would rust is if it were to be submerged as that rod is supposed to be chrome plated to resist most road chemicals and usual humidity. There may have been a process problem, but why haven't others chimed in over the past couple years?

Speaking of those shocks, lately I've noticed Chevy trucks with white shocks that say Rancho on them. Look identical to the factory ones I took off my truck...

Old 04-20-2016, 02:58 PM
Tom N OH
More Turbo
Yes, I did use the boots. They are in no way, shape or form watertight. At best, they only provide marginal impact protection. The biggest problem is the "black chrome" coating on the rods. It isn't much better than a plain mild steel with no coating. The Bilsteins use a REAL chrome plating. The Ranchos might be ok if you never drove in salt environments like we have up here in the snow belt.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:02 PM
Good listener
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried out the RS9000XL's towing our fifth wheel last weekend, and the difference was amazing. Very smooth and well dampened with the rears set at 7. We didn't experience the chucking we had on some of the roads. My wife was very pleased and you know that's all that really matters!

Quick Reply: Best shock option.