Sponsored by:

Problem door locks!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 01:12 PM
dcchadwick
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Problem door locks!

So, this 2000 X-Limited that recently bought has another issue that I need help with.

Power door locks. The drivers door is the only door that works, using either the remote fob or the rocket switch on the door. None of the other doors, or the rear lift glass work.

I have a hard time believing that ALL of the individual actuators in each door don't work.

Does the actuator in the drivers door act as a primary? Are all of the other actuators slaved through the drivers door? Is there a relay between the drivers door and the other doors that could be bad?

Thanks in advance-

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-17-2015, 02:52 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by dcchadwick
I have a hard time believing that ALL of the individual actuators in each door don't work.
Believe it, it's a common problem.

There's a fix (a thread that was started years ago) in the SuperDuty forum using tin foil. Some guys opt to fix, some to replace.

Stewart

Old 10-17-2015, 10:31 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Does the actuator in the drivers door act as a primary? Are all of the other actuators slaved through the drivers door? Is there a relay between the drivers door and the other doors that could be bad?

Thanks in advance-
Yes, I believe that driver's door module is the "slave master" for all the other doors. It is that way for the windows, and I am pretty sure it is the same for the locks. I am at work, but I can look at a wiring diagram for you tomorrow.

See here for part #: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ont-go-up.html

Edit: that looks like it does not include the door lock switch. I will look at the diagrams tomorrow afternoon and verify routing for power to those for you.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:13 AM
crazytwo
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So, this 2000 X-Limited that recently bought has another issue that I need help with.

Power door locks. The drivers door is the only door that works, using either the remote fob or the rocket switch on the door. None of the other doors, or the rear lift glass work.

Thanks in advance-
You have one more working than me.

Old 10-19-2015, 04:11 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I bought my X, all the actuators had been replaced, except the one in the rear hatch. Guess which one I had to buy?
You can get 'em 4 or 5 at a time on fleabay...

Old 10-19-2015, 05:30 PM
devovino
Senior User
Originally Posted by holeshotwalt
When I bought my X, all the actuators had been replaced, except the one in the rear hatch. Guess which one I had to buy?
You can get 'em 4 or 5 at a time on fleabay...
I was in the same boat, however, just yesterday I found an old thread about the rear lock/mechanism on the rear doors, I went and checked it and sure enough my rear window was NOT locking. So I removed the interior handle on the hatch,removed the plastic panel got in there with WD-40 and sprayed it well, and after several lock/unlocks with the key Fab the rear lock now works, simple task accomplished! Still trying to get the key tumbler to unfreeze, maybe in good time!

Old 10-19-2015, 09:36 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Sorry for the late checkback...

Here are the wiring diagrams for the 2001. The 2000 should not be much different... if at all.

Hope these help, and it looks like there are two relays in the system you should check out. One deals with lock, and the other unlock. They are located in the "relay box". That box is located in the center of the instrument panel behind the dash and under the radio. Your turn signal relay is there as well. To get access to it, you need to remove the trash hangar and the ash tray/cup holder. Then you can just reach in there and pull the relays and check them.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:10 AM
dcchadwick
New User
Originally Posted by Nicmike
Sorry for the late checkback...

Here are the wiring diagrams for the 2001. The 2000 should not be much different... if at all.
Thanks, I'll have to print these out and start poking around.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:37 AM
cj777
New User

Thanks in advance-
For what it's worth, I just picked up an '01 Excursion with the same issue. Only the driver's side lock worked. After replacing the other 4 lock actuators, they all work fine, so it is possible. Cheap parts and really easy to replace, so it's worth at least pulling yours and testing them.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:59 AM
RBerry9511
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cj777
For what it's worth, I just picked up an '01 Excursion with the same issue. Only the driver's side lock worked. After replacing the other 4 lock actuators, they all work fine, so it is possible. Cheap parts and really easy to replace, so it's worth at least pulling yours and testing them.
Hey cj777 where did you get the door actuators? Do you have the part number? My drivers side rear isn't working so if it a cheap and easy fix I am all for it.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:48 AM
cj777
New User
Originally Posted by RBerry9511
Hey cj777 where did you get the door actuators? Do you have the part number? My drivers side rear isn't working so if it a cheap and easy fix I am all for it.
I did not go with an OEM replacement. Time will tell if that comes back to bite me or not. I picked up a set of 4 from PerformacElectronics on Amazon for $55 shipped. Individual actuators are $19. The price was right and they have a lifetime warranty, so I figured I'd give it a try. So far so good. The actual replacing of the actuators took me less than 10 min per door.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:12 AM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RBerry9511
Be aware that there are 2 different part numbers- the passenger side doors are one and the driver side doors and rear hatch are the other.
4 Set Power Door Lock Actuator Driver Side Left LH New for Ford Lincoln Mercury | eBay

Old 10-21-2015, 06:00 PM
dcchadwick
New User
Originally Posted by cj777
I'm assuming that means that you also had to replace the actuator in the rear liftglass, correct? How much of a PITA was that?

Old 10-21-2015, 06:27 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
That one's not bad either; just a few more obstacles to work around. It helps to open the hatch, open the barn doors, then sit down, close the hatch down and work on it that way.
Be careful to not break off the clip holding the actuator- it's a little tricky to release and pull the actuator off at the same time.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:57 PM
cj777
New User
I'm assuming that means that you also had to replace the actuator in the rear liftglass, correct? How much of a PITA was that?
Yeah I did the front passenger, both rear doors, and the lift gate. The liftgate isn't bad at all. It's a little bit more difficult to get to the clip that releases the actuator, but not hard.

Quick Reply: Problem door locks!