Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Thoughts. K&N FIPK Air Intake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 12:26 AM
AmericanIron460
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Thoughts. K&N FIPK Air Intake Kit

Hello everyone. Alright, today I am going to be providing some insight on the infamous K&N FIPK filter kit(s) linked below.

K&N 57-2503 Air Intake, 57 Series FIPK

K&N 63-1014 Air Intake, 63 Series Aircharger Kits

Here is what the kit looks like installed on the truck. (Borrowed picture from online. Not my truck)

Before I begin I will address why I have made this post. The reason I am doing this is, because like me, many of you are probably very into your truck, and if you are really into your truck sooner or later you will probably consider some form of CAI in the never ending quest for more power.
The K&N here is one of the few out there, and if I'm not mistaken is the kit not only for the 460, but a good chunk of the other engines found in F-Series trucks/broncos. When I was shopping around I never really did find a solid review of the thing, so I had to just try it for myself. Now that I have experienced it, I will share my experience in case you or someone you know are the fence about this kit specifically or one similar to it. I'll break it down into some basic categories, and then some. Here we go.

- IMPORTANT NOTE: In advance I am not against K&N (I actually have the K&N drop in filter in my truck right now), and this review is not intended to slander K&N in anyway. It is simply a review.

My Truck (For reference): 1992 Ford F350 w/7.5L 460. Hedman Headers. MSD Coil. Ford Racing Wires.

-Price: Hands down this biggest negative of the kits is that they are over priced. From K&N right now (10/16/15) kit 57-2503 is $244.99. The other kit 63-1014 is at $189.99. You'll notice immediately that there is no difference between them, because there isn't. Kit 57-2503 is the "California version" which includes a CARB sticker and is $55.00 more than kit 63-1014. Admittedly K&N had to pay for testing so the kit will be legal for CA, but even then it is still way over priced. It doesn't help that both are exactly the same, and the components are really nothing special to boot.

-Quality: The quality of the kit is good. The filter is strong, as is the bracket. The instructions (like most instructions) are not very good, but the install is simple so it should not be a problem. However, there is one outstanding issue which is that the kit features no heat shield, ducts, or special air box. So the filter is sucking hot air from the engine bay, but I'll cover that in the performance section. Lastly the location of the filter makes it hard to get in, and out quickly for service, but after a while it becomes rather simple.

-Performance: There is light at the end of the tunnel. I can say I felt a small difference in power towards the top end. According to K&N it is around 5-6 HP. It also, adds air induction noise! Which sounds very cool, especially when your in the cab driving around. However, the biggest draw back (the reason why I no longer use mine) is that the filter is under the hood. There is no heat shield, special ducts or anything; the filter is sucking in hot air from the engine bay.
On the freeway this isn't much of a problem, but when it's a 100+ degrees, and your in traffic or going slow; it's pulling in some HOT air, and me personally I just couldn't handle the idea of it. You could build a heat shield, or some other barrier but with the high cost of the kit already it breaks the bank.

Final thoughts: I like the kit. I wish it hadn't been so expensive. It did add a little power which is nice, but the idea that it sucks in hot air from under the hood is a major turn off. Maybe if I lived somewhere colder I could see running it. For now though. I hope you guys enjoyed my review, and hopefully it helped you make a decision as far as the kit is concerned.

TL;DR (Too long Didn't Read); The kit is over-priced, Makes a cool noise, and adds a little power, Sucks in hot air from under the hood.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:43 AM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by AmericanIron460
...Sucks in hot air from under the hood.
Yeah, I've never figured out what "CAI" is short for. You'd think "cold air intake", but that can't be right since they replace a factory system that takes in cold air and replace it with a system that takes in hot air.

Maybe it means "cold air intake removal kit"?

Old 10-17-2015, 09:05 AM
NativeDescent
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
Yeah, I've never figured out what "CAI" is short for. You'd think "cold air intake", but that can't be right since they replace a factory system that takes in cold air and replace it with a system that takes in hot air.

Maybe it means "cold air intake removal kit"?
Well, it's not that fact that it ISNT a cold air intake, it's that without the proper heat shield/air box to go with the conical filter, the intake isn't a PROPER cold air intake. I personally plan to purchase the Trick Flow intake for my 4.9, it's made by K&N, but with the Trick Flow sticker, so it's cheaper . In conjunction with the purchase, I plan to custom make an air box with a larger duct than the factory air box has, out of either aluminum or abs plastic, which I haven't decided between yet, and then also use Lizard Skin spray on heat shield on both the inside and outside of the custom made air box to make it a true cold air intake.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:04 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Yes, dead overpriced for a filter and simple metal bracket.

You would think for that kind of $$$ you would of also gotten a heat shield

Old 10-17-2015, 10:42 AM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Ford already made the BEST CAI. Its widely available on the 300's and 460's. The snorkel runs right up front, between the radiator and grill.

Why spend $200+ dollars on a CAI, with oiled filter, that doesn't trap near the amount of trash, has to be washed, oiled again, and again, again, etc, and sucks in HOT air, at a gain of only 5-6 hp? Where in logic and physics does it prove that HOT air makes MORE H.P.? A quality OEM air filter is good up 12,000 miles, under normal driving conditions. For the amount spent on a K&N CAI, you could have bought 16 filters @12$, that equates to around 200,000 miles. Or 12 years of filters. Don't forget to buy the SPECIAL oil needed to oil their filter again. That's another $10 or so.

Old 10-17-2015, 04:00 PM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
I had the KN FIPK kit for MAF. It was huge waste of time and money. My truck didn't run as good with it and it did not seal up well at the throttle body. I'll stick with the 4.9/7.5 tube and a good stock filter.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:10 PM
NativeDescent
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Yes, dead overpriced for a filter and simple metal bracket.

You would think for that kind of $$$ you would of also gotten a heat shield
I think the majority of the reason they don't include one is they don't want to put the time and effort into making a proper one. Because of the mounting on the inner fender well that the air box would sit on probably won't hold very well, I plan to fabricate bracketry and mount in securely in the engine bay.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:15 PM
NativeDescent
Freshman User
Originally Posted by timbersteel
Ford already made the BEST CAI. Its widely available on the 300's and 460's. The snorkel runs right up front, between the radiator and grill.

Why spend $200+ dollars on a CAI, with oiled filter, that doesn't trap near the amount of trash, has to be washed, oiled again, and again, again, etc, and sucks in HOT air, at a gain of only 5-6 hp? Where in logic and physics does it prove that HOT air makes MORE H.P.? A quality OEM air filter is good up 12,000 miles, under normal driving conditions. For the amount spent on a K&N CAI, you could have bought 16 filters @12$, that equates to around 200,000 miles. Or 12 years of filters. Don't forget to buy the SPECIAL oil needed to oil their filter again. That's another $10 or so.
While I do agree the intake on the 300 is solid, (I can't concur with the 460 as I have no experience with such and haven't seen one in person to be the judge) but the downfall of it, would be the intake port of the air box. It's essentially a 1"x5" rectangle. While I understand and consider your statements, where there could be a larger portion of air coming into an air box, into a larger filter, that can be cleaned and works just fine, I don't see a downfall. That is, if it is all properly installed. With the CAI by itself, no you won't see much noticeable gain, but in CONJUNCTION with other modifications, the CAI will increase the increase of the other gains in my opinion, if that makes sense.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:29 PM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
That is the same kit I have on my 93. It wasn't a direct bolt in for me, and I have no idea why.
First I had to drill a hole to mount it to the resivore bracket. I then had to make an L bracket to mount the end of the filter to the fender, because the one that came with kit was too short. I also had to extend the crankcase breather hose a couple of inches because it didn't reach the back of the filter to clamp on the provide nipple.
There's also a negative that wasn't mentioned. When you take the filter off to wash and oil it, You can't drive your truck till it dries from the washing. So either the truck is parked till it's dry, or you buy another filter to replace it while you do the wash and ol, or you drive it without a filter.
I was lucky to find another new filter on Ebay for real cheap, Cheaper than buying one in a store by about half price.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:56 PM
jaagen
Senior User
I did what Timbersteel and bought a 300/460 intake tube. My truck has the drop in K&N filter and the wayits ddesigned you can planly see you can't get any better.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:02 PM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I did the 300/460 intake on my 92, with a Fram Air Hog filter. I didn't feel or notice any appreciable increase in HP. But for 5.00 off a truck being parted out on on Craigslist, I can't complain. I can't remember what I paid for the Fram Air Hog filter.
I did feel a seat of the pants increase when I did the K&N kit on my 93.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:06 PM
nolan94f350
Junior User
my truck came with one.
the whistling noise is cool.
i have no base to compare against. the last guy did a cam and double rollers and port fuel injection(?)(says the build sheet), 4" exhaust with cat delete and just some old muffler. deleted all the other emissions crap.
strong running old 460, but i know nothing about it.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:08 PM
stak
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i bought a so called CAI on ebay ( very cheep ). it came with a cone style re usable filter and basic parts to adapt it to my mas air. i removed my stock box and installed it. i didn't notice much in power gain over all. i did notice deep howling noise from under the hood. and i don't think it did much for fuel mileage. i ran it for about 1 month and have now built a box from sheet metal it sits in the stock location and soon i will build a inlet tube to draw in cold air. i have a mustang hood scoop on the truck and am considering making it functional for the air box.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:47 PM
JRS2
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I pulled one at a pull a part and got the 300 intake for the stock box the same day. Put this snorkel on the truck in place of the over the radiator tubing but haven't tried the K&N yet. One thing that does not seem to be mentioned any where in the thread so far is what K&N is suggesting for the oil breather line which goes into the stock air box. What are folks doing with this ?

Oh I almost forgot I was in Wal Mart the other day and they had the double intake K&N filter just by itself for around $ 40. My part had been adapted to the stock tubing by two aluminum thin wall piping sections and a couple worm drive clamps ...

No seat of the pants difference felt in the first scenario above ...

Old 10-18-2015, 08:06 PM
choate
Elder User
Originally Posted by JRS2
I pulled one at a pull a part and got the 300 intake for the stock box the same day. Put this snorkel on the truck in place of the over the radiator tubing but haven't tried the K&N yet. One thing that does not seem to be mentioned any where in the thread so far is what K&N is suggesting for the oil breather line which goes into the stock air box. What are folks doing with this ?

Oh I almost forgot I was in Wal Mart the other day and they had the double intake K&N filter just by itself for around $ 40. My part had been adapted to the stock tubing by two aluminum thin wall piping sections and a couple worm drive clamps ...

No seat of the pants difference felt in the first scenario above ...

Here is mine. The filter was literally like $55.00. Airade

Quick Reply: My Thoughts. K&N FIPK Air Intake Kit