Modular V10 (6.8l)  

5 star on a truck with a manual trans- worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 05:05 PM
hodge5
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
5 star on a truck with a manual trans- worth the money?

A simple question- it would appear that the 5 star tuner does a lot to improve the performance of an automatic transmission, in conjunction with some minor improvement to the performance of the engine. Correct me if I am wrong in my assumption.
If I am not, I am assuming that a 5 star on a truck with a 6 speed manual and 4.30's isn't going to realize a lot of improvement; at the least, it seems to me that the cost vs. results needs to be evaluated. I am willing to pay the money for a 5 star, if I will get enough improvement to justify it.
I'm not finding fault with 5 star, making accusations, etc. I am evaluating- it seems to me that a large part of the "bang for the buck" is transmission improvement, which I wouldn't experience. Will a 5 star do much for my truck?

Old 10-09-2015, 12:12 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
That's a tough one. I know that I got much better throttle response, and higher overall power, but then, I was already into headers and y-pipe at the time I think.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:49 PM
hodge5
More Turbo
I have the y pipe, which hasn't offered any improvement, alone. I don't want to go any further, spending money on marginal improvements.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:41 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
I don't know your answer but maybe 5 star can help. @fordmdb

Old 10-10-2015, 06:20 AM
hodge5
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
I don't know your answer but maybe 5 star can help. @fordmdb
I'm sure that 5 star can answer, but what I was looking for, by posting the thread, was experience. Someone who has a tuner on a manual transmission truck, and what their seat of the pants report is. I've read nothing but good things about 5 star, and I have no reservations about the quality of the tuner. I want to decide, based on real world results, whether the investment is worth it.

I would guess that the majority of their customers are running autos.

I am a realist. My truck, in stock form with a V10, 6 speed, 4.30's, and 285 tires does all that I need, and then some. I don't need more power, but we all know how it is- knowing that there might be a little more is enticing. I love my truck, and if any additional power isn't available at a reasonable price, then I will do without. So, I am weighing. The y pipe was a waste of money, alone. I've experienced no power increase, but I did notice the torque curve move up the RPM band a little. Looking back, I would have left the stock pipe on it. I recognize that headers and a y pipe would give some gains, but the price makes it unjustified. From what I've read, changing the exhaust system is a waste, and could change the torque curve. I want as much low end grunt as possible- my truck is more of a draft horse than a thoroughbred. If the tuner, alone, gives noticeable increases in power and economy, then it is probably worth the money. What I haven't deduced, yet, is what increases I can expect. Again, this isn't a major issue. I am very happy with my truck, and it already has satisfactory power, response, and economy (in relation to cost of operating and amount of work that it is capable of doing. It takes fuel to move weight). I know what a tuner, alone, can do to a diesel. I know that a gas engine does not respond the same way, and that the gains are much smaller. My quest is, in regards to the engine, what gains are there? Or, does the tuner shine most by improving the performance of the auto transmission, which in turn increases the overall performance of the truck?

Old 10-10-2015, 07:03 AM
hodge5
More Turbo
I re-read through some of the 5 star stickies, which was helpful.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:46 AM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by hodge5
A simple question- it would appear that the 5 star tuner does a lot to improve the performance of an automatic transmission, in conjunction with some minor improvement to the performance of the engine. Correct me if I am wrong in my assumption.
If I am not, I am assuming that a 5 star on a truck with a 6 speed manual and 4.30's isn't going to realize a lot of improvement; at the least, it seems to me that the cost vs. results needs to be evaluated. I am willing to pay the money for a 5 star, if I will get enough improvement to justify it.
I'm not finding fault with 5 star, making accusations, etc. I am evaluating- it seems to me that a large part of the "bang for the buck" is transmission improvement, which I wouldn't experience. Will a 5 star do much for my truck?
hodge5,

Our tune does improve the performance of the transmission in many ways... but there are many other items we address from the engine side of the spectrum, throttle response and efficiency of the vehicle (air/fuel, correct for new standards of fuel, etc) that make the tune worthwhile on a standard transmission. We tune many with standard transmissions. The majority typically are automatic given the wide range of platforms the 6.8 are in. You always have the option to give the tune a try. If you feel it is worthwhile you're set, if not you can always send the device back. Likewise, if you're ever in our area we can tune it and let you take it for a test drive.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:08 PM
hodge5
More Turbo
Originally Posted by fordmdb
hodge5,

Our tune does improve the performance of the transmission in many ways... but there are many other items we address from the engine side of the spectrum, throttle response and efficiency of the vehicle (air/fuel, correct for new standards of fuel, etc) that make the tune worthwhile on a standard transmission. We tune many with standard transmissions. The majority typically are automatic given the wide range of platforms the 6.8 are in. You always have the option to give the tune a try. If you feel it is worthwhile you're set, if not you can always send the device back. Likewise, if you're ever in our area we can tune it and let you take it for a test drive.
Thank you- I realized some of the engine-side benefits as I read through the stickies.