1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

49 ford f1 crown vic full frame swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 05:54 PM
Trussonistephen
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
49 ford f1 crown vic full frame swap

I know many guys swap the front end of the crown vics and install on a ford f1.

Can a guy use the full frame of a crown vic instead of just the front clip?
I heard you can but has anyone done it and what mods need to be done?

Thanks for all the help!

Stephen

Old 09-20-2015, 06:20 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Guess I'm too dumb, as I thought CVs had unibody construction.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:31 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Crown Vics are a full frame platform. But they have a perimeter frame which goes out to the rocker panels of the body, not a ladder style frame up the middle like our trucks use. The Vic frame is also not strong at all like a truck frame. It's really more of a point for attaching the suspension that bolts to the underside of the body. The strength of the assembly is actually more in the body than the frame.

Consider how much wider a late model, full size car body is vs. our antique trucks that 2 people can barely sit side by side comfortably. The frame would be under the outside edge of the running boards. The next issue is the truck "body" essentially being two pieces, the cab and box, there will be no structural strength anywhere. The whole thing will be all kinds of floppy. You would be asking it to perform duties never designed or intended to do.

Too large and no strength is not a good combination for a solid truck build. My 2c.

Old 05-13-2022, 02:53 PM
RobErnst
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In theory you would be somewhat correct as the Truck frame is built for an over loaded truck to use it but, you're comparing 1940's metallurgy and technology (not too far removed from buggy days (as in horse and buggy) with solid axles and leaf springs.

The Crown Vic frame is wider and worlds better in design. You'll also have to come up with a way for the bed of the F-1 and the gas tank to live above the floor of the stock bed of an F-1. Most likely you'll be welding hangers of some sort onto the CV frame to mount the F-1 components but if you're worried about strength, you can always fully box the C-Channel of the CV frame.

Most people no longer use their 40's era truck to haul much weight so not only will it handle better, it will be lower and even be able to be diagnosed with a modern OBD-II code reader! I'm picturing a red round light on the dashboard to light up when your CEL comes on.

Old 05-13-2022, 03:35 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,107 Likes on 1,795 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Crown Vics are a full frame platform. But they have a perimeter frame which goes out to the rocker panels of the body, not a ladder style frame up the middle like our trucks use. The Vic frame is also not strong at all like a truck frame. It's really more of a point for attaching the suspension that bolts to the underside of the body. The strength of the assembly is actually more in the body than the frame.

Consider how much wider a late model, full size car body is vs. our antique trucks that 2 people can barely sit side by side comfortably. The frame would be under the outside edge of the running boards. The next issue is the truck "body" essentially being two pieces, the cab and box, there will be no structural strength anywhere. The whole thing will be all kinds of floppy. You would be asking it to perform duties never designed or intended to do.

Too large and no strength is not a good combination for a solid truck build. My 2c.
I guess you have not checked out YouTube as it has been done to use a full CV frame in place of the PU frame all be it on the later bump & dent trucks.
Also if you do a search in the later truck ares for full frame swap you will come up with a few post.
Think its member Moneky1 that has done 2 of them and both are show room trucks built to drive.

Some use just the frame and mount the cab & box on the CV frame and others also use the floor & firewall of the CV graphing the PU cab, less firewall & floor, onto the CV firewall & floor and mounting the box to the CV frame. Using the floor & firewall replaces rusted floors & rockers but they get to use all the CV dash & HVAC in the PU. Some also use the full drive train of the CV.

Now as pointed out the CV frame is wider so I cant see using the full CV frame under the early trucks.
The other thing is the rear frame goes up pretty far to give the rear axle travel and that puts the bed floor up pretty high and not usable.
Dave ----

The following users liked this post: