1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Fat fender body on newer frame - what donor vehile would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 07:09 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Fat fender body on newer frame - what donor vehile would you choose?

I've read a couple of the threads about this, and I'd like to take poll. If you were planning to put the body of a fat fender 1956 truck on a newer frame and drivetrail. what would you get the frame from?
End result should be a 2wd with payload of at least 1000 lbs.
Ideas I've seen so far are Crown Vic, 1980's F150, keep the '56 frame and swap in newer engine and IFS.
thoughts?

Old 09-30-2007, 07:30 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Well a frame swap isn't easy. Your choices:

1. Crown Vic frame will only work on 57+ trucks due to it being like 40" wide
2. 80+ F-150 frame, again too wide due to it's 37.5" frame rails plus the raised rear section of the frame.
3. The stock frame is your best bet and cheapest.

While I have finished a frame swap and liked how it fits. To do it again I would do a custom frame with the donor suspension for a cleaner look and fit. For more info on my swap click the link in my signature.

If your looking for a low rider a frame swap most likely won't get you there without channeling the body.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:43 PM
jareddill
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ditto, but i am pleased with my 91 gmc 3/4 ton frame

Old 09-30-2007, 08:41 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

A mid to late Dodge Dakota frame is the right track width, the wheelbase is wrong, but it is by the far the best frame sway choice out there. I've done several frame swaps and they all came out great, but I do this stuff for a living. The worst thing about a Dakota frame is the rear end is JUNK. You'd need to change to a Ford rear end. I usually use a Crown vic cop car rear end it's an 8.8 rear, and is tough. The only thing you'd have to do is buy spring perches and set the correct pinion angle. The front ends on a Dakota are pretty good, and several companys are now making a weldon crossmember that uses Dakota suspension componets. The Dakota is a 5lug small Ford pattern on the wheels which is good for this application also. You will have to fab cab mounts and bed mounts, but if you're pretty handy that's no problem. It's not just a bolt on application, but it's well worth it in my opinion! The later models of Dakota's had 6lug bolt pattern, so stay away from them cause of that. A Dakota will haul a thousand pounds easily, unless you mess with the springs? If this aint enough, email me directly, and I'll try to help and send some pictures?? If I can find some?? trucks1956@yahoo.com

GOD bless

Old 10-01-2007, 04:38 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've done it kinda , i put my 55 on a 74 frame that was cut and put back together using ideas and the info from dueller and while not easy it is fun if you like building / making stuff . unfortuneately , as these guys can tell you mine got towed by an impatient spouse before any of the crossmembers were reinstalled and the finish welding was done , and it pretty much got destroyed , so if you like a challenge go for it with the frame of your choice . if not a custom chassis or a stock one with a clip { which is what mines on now and still under construction } or a suspension kit . it's your truck so do what makes you happy . i will say on my 53 driver i've left ford's original work intact other than eventually getting around to adding disc's and a two pot master cylinder . it's worked together in harmony for 54 years why mess it up now .

Old 10-01-2007, 09:31 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I swapped my F-800 frame with a frame from a 74 Ford LT-8000. Was able to keep the L's CAT motor, and 5x4 trans set up. Frame width was the same (34"-34").

Old 10-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Eric Miller
New User
Im swapping an 02 ranger frame in to a 49 and its going well. I want to keep all the ranger electronics, emissions, climate controls, accesories and driveline so some packaging diffuculty is ahead.
But I already can tell you that if I was just going with ranger suspension and chassis its a great fit if you want to make mounts for a V8 swap and engine setback.
Looking at the torsion bar 02 front end it would make a great 'clipped front frame.
I would use a ranger again and again on other hot rod projects. I'm lovin it.
Perhaps the slightly narrow track of a ranger will leave some room for nice rims in the fat wheel wells.
Eric.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:55 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
look up houghda , i beleive is what he goes by here and check out the 56 on an explorer swap he did . dain nice job and cool to boot .

Old 10-02-2007, 09:58 PM
jareddill
Senior User
Originally Posted by Eric Miller
Im swapping an 02 ranger frame in to a 49 and its going well. I want to keep all the ranger electronics, emissions, climate controls, accesories and driveline so some packaging diffuculty is ahead.
But I already can tell you that if I was just going with ranger suspension and chassis its a great fit if you want to make mounts for a V8 swap and engine setback.
Looking at the torsion bar 02 front end it would make a great 'clipped front frame.
Perhaps the slightly narrow track of a ranger will leave some room for nice rims in the fat wheel wells.
Eric.
sounds cool man, i have the same plans with my 91 gmc donor, the fun is in the details

got any pics yet?

Old 01-04-2008, 01:57 AM
royleexx
New User
hi guys i am getting ready to put my 1955 f 100 on a 2005 dodge frame with the hemi and the auto tranny my brotherinlaw just fliped his truck i am going to use all the running gears i just need to shorten the frame 10 inches and get the driveshaft shortened i keep u posted has anyone tried this

Old 01-04-2008, 09:15 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Dodge Dakota or full size?

Old 01-04-2008, 12:26 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Let me play DA here a bit:
First why do you want to do a frame swap? What gains do you expect, and what other methods are there for achieving similar gains? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each method: cost, skill required, collateral modifications required, sucess rate, etc.
There is nothing to gain IMHO by a frame swap that can't be accomplished by other easier methods.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:26 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
First why do you want to do a frame swap? What gains do you expect, and what other methods are there for achieving similar gains? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each method: cost, skill required, collateral modifications required, sucess rate, etc.
There is nothing to gain IMHO by a frame swap that can't be accomplished by other easier methods.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Talking

Originally Posted by AXracer
I disagree, I think there is MUCH do gain from a frame swap. I forget sometime about the talent and tools required to do this, but I think anyone can use a Dodge Dakota frame, and just shorten the wheelbase. When you consider the costs of a good MII kit, and all the componets, then you consider the costs of a salvage yard dakota frame for around $400 or so pretty much all you have to do is alter the wheel base and make cab mounts and bed mounts. You gain the R/D of millions of dollars of factory suspension experts.

My favorite is the Crown Vic with the center frame rails narrowed, but I dont' tell that much as it's takes a lot of time and patience to do, but the end result is AWESOME. Thats' what I love about the custom end of these things, the sky is the limit! I guess the main thing I love about frame swaps is they are cheaper IMO, but maybe not for some? AX please, this is in no way meant to offend you, your expertise in suspension is always appreciated, but there are good arguments on both sides, and since I've done several swaps, I'd like to point out the pro's vs the cons of this subject.

GOD bless

Old 01-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Talking

Originally Posted by Eric Miller
Eric.

Hey Eric, I'm so glad you're still doin that, and I'm glad your'e still around here. PICTURES, we need pictures!!! The only thing I have against the Ranger frames is they costs so much more and most in the salvage yards are 4WD frames, but you're very right a 2WD frame from a 98 up would work great, other than they are a tad too narrow, but with the proper backspaced wheels, that could be taken care of easily.

Quick Reply: Fat fender body on newer frame - what donor vehile would you choose?