1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sway when driving on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 01:48 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by GregA
In general, I've found the Ex quite susceptible to wind and trucks with that big 28' sail back there on a tag hitch. Add in how the Exs have a history of a less-centered front end feel (both of mine are/were that way) and things can get interesting at times. I tried a rear swaybar on the prior Ex and it did nothing to resolve this.

I towed this same trailer one time with a buddy's same-year, same-7.3PSD F-250 (we were both 4WD) and it towed completely differently; much more stable and rock solid than my Ex. I credit this to a big-sailed tag trailer coupled to a front end that has suspension and alignment settings more suited to comfort, turning radius, and soccer moms than working. After I get the shock situation worked out I'm planning on buying some eccentrics and seeing about re-aligning the front end of the current ride to where the F-250s are (always threatened to do that with the prior ride, never did).
When I first got my Ex, I didn't really care for the way it handled. I didn't feel very comfortable going much over 65 with it, even empty. It just didn't feel stable on the road. It wandered and wallowed a lot, and this was without any crosswind.

Then I put V/B springs in it, a Hellwig rear sway bar, and a set of bilsteins all around. Now it handles like a truck. It's firm and responsive and handles my 30', 8500# travel trailer without any problem at all. Unloaded, I'm comfortable driving at any reasonable speed and I no longer feel like it's wallowing all over the road. The suspension changes alone made a huge difference and I'm sure it's why you noticed a big difference between the two.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:39 PM
GregA
Tuned
Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by andym
Then I put V/B springs in it, a Hellwig rear sway bar, and a set of bilsteins all around. Now it handles like a truck.
What about on a 2WD?

Old 09-28-2015, 06:13 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Are you sure the PO over adjusted the steering box? Because if he did it causes that "sway" feel.Something to consider

Old 10-05-2018, 09:47 PM
Justin Lindekugel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GregA
Thanks, biz. I used Bilsteins on my prior 4WD Ex and they worked well. I've heard good things on the Rancho 5000, but not familiar with the 9000; are they harsh? We do use this truck for occasional family/dog travel, so I'd like to avoid something that will beat up the passengers.

Advance sell the 9000Xl for the 2WD Ex at $115 each (-20% coupon); Shockwarehouse sells the Bilstein 4600 Heavy Duty for $365/set. Don't mind spending a little extra for a better product.

And toward the discussion on "sway"...I have a bit of an issue when towing. My first tow with this truck, before I put on the rear airbags, was quite interesting: I had some serious tail-wagging to the point it was making my racer-buddy nervous. We kept stopping and moving the load forward and that seemed to help a little bit, but it never went away. Several hours into the trip I began to realize that it wasn't the ***-end that was moving around, it was the front end: the truck just wasn't "coring" the on-center straight-line and was nosing left and right. Since that first time I had all brandy-new ball joints installed and all other steering components were inspected to be in good shape; no play in the steering box yet.

In general, I've found the Ex quite susceptible to wind and trucks with that big 28' sail back there on a tag hitch. Add in how the Exs have a history of a less-centered front end feel (both of mine are/were that way) and things can get interesting at times. I tried a rear swaybar on the prior Ex and it did nothing to resolve this.

I towed this same trailer one time with a buddy's same-year, same-7.3PSD F-250 (we were both 4WD) and it towed completely differently; much more stable and rock solid than my Ex. I credit this to a big-sailed tag trailer coupled to a front end that has suspension and alignment settings more suited to comfort, turning radius, and soccer moms than working. After I get the shock situation worked out I'm planning on buying some eccentrics and seeing about re-aligning the front end of the current ride to where the F-250s are (always threatened to do that with the prior ride, never did).

- GA
idler &/or pitman arm

Old 10-06-2018, 06:54 PM
GregA
Tuned
Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts