1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

6.0 Trans Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 08:21 PM
DougJ_1997PSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 Trans Cooler

I picked up a 6.0 trans cooler today thinking it would be a relatively easy swap from the original trans cooler. Now that I am looking into it, it looks pretty involved. I see that the cooler lines themselves are smaller on the e4od, so would I be able to splice them up to a larger size or would I have to put all new lines in? Also, as far as placement goes, is hanging it from the middle in front of the other radiators the best place? or maybe off to the side a bit? Let me know what you have to think, thanks!

Old 09-14-2015, 08:36 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,192 Likes on 818 Posts
should be fine in front of the ac condenser. I addapted a 6.0 and early 99 7.3 trnascooler in between my ac condensor and intercooler. I recomend using an electric fan dirrectly mounted in front of your transcooler. I can attest to the wonders of cooling your tranny, I should know i have 800k on stock tranny.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:12 AM
DougJ_1997PSD
Senior User
Good to hear I can still fit an intercooler as well. I only have 16k on it so far, so hopefully this cooler will help! thanks for the input.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:28 PM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
All of mine fit up there great. Dont get me wrong your gonna have to cram alot in there. But after trimming the front grill support and the backside of the grill itll work. Your gonna have to build the mounts a second time when u put the intercooler in. I have my intercooler an inch in front of the condensor, and then the tranny cooler an inch in front of the intercooler. It all fits. I used 1/8th inch x 1.5 wide steel strap and bent it in an S in a vise. Then drilled 1/4" holes for the bolts.This is what itll look like with ur exact truck expect I ended up putting everything about 5"s higher then in the pick. Great looking truck by the way.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:53 PM
DougJ_1997PSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ezalycasaid
All of mine fit up there great. Dont get me wrong your gonna have to cram alot in there. But after trimming the front grill support and the backside of the grill itll work. Your gonna have to build the mounts a second time when u put the intercooler in. I have my intercooler an inch in front of the condensor, and then the tranny cooler an inch in front of the intercooler. It all fits. I used 1/8th inch x 1.5 wide steel strap and bent it in an S in a vise. Then drilled 1/4" holes for the bolts.This is what itll look like with ur exact truck expect I ended up putting everything about 5"s higher then in the pick. Great looking truck by the way.

I can deal with a little trimming here and there, and this fix isnt looking as major as I originally thought. Im sure your truck looks better than mine when it's all in one piece! Mine is rusting to hell; I just found rust bubbles around my front wheel wells and around the top of my windshield...I didnt even know Fords were prone to rust there! Another question to you, how much more ATF did you end up using when you installed the cooler?

Old 09-15-2015, 06:07 PM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DougJ_1997PSD
I can deal with a little trimming here and there, and this fix isnt looking as major as I originally thought. Im sure your truck looks better than mine when it's all in one piece! Mine is rusting to hell; I just found rust bubbles around my front wheel wells and around the top of my windshield...I didnt even know Fords were prone to rust there! Another question to you, how much more ATF did you end up using when you installed the cooler?
Ouch man sorry to hear about the rust. I put on some coveralls and got under mine and thuroughly looked for rust when I bought it. Luckily mine didnt have any. I just added one quart, itll say its way high when u put it in, but only because it hasnt filled the tranny cooler housing yet. Itll go back to normal level once u run the truck. Heres some more pics. Just do 3/8ths barbed to 1/2" male threaded fitting, to 1/2" barbed to 1/2" threaded female fitting. And then just buy 5ft of 1/2" tranny hose. I also pushed by front bumper about 1.5"s forward. Dont buy it at nappa its super expensive there. Heres some more pics.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:35 PM
DougJ_1997PSD
Senior User
I wish my truck looked as good as yours but being a plow truck in the middle of the rust belt is eating mine alive. I have some barb 3/8" to 1/2" barb fittings on the way, would that work? And only one quart? I thought it would be a lot more. I may have to re-position some things if the bumper sticks out that much with the intercooler too because my plow sits very close to the bumper.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:42 AM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DougJ_1997PSD
I wish my truck looked as good as yours but being a plow truck in the middle of the rust belt is eating mine alive. I have some barb 3/8" to 1/2" barb fittings on the way, would that work? And only one quart? I thought it would be a lot more. I may have to re-position some things if the bumper sticks out that much with the intercooler too because my plow sits very close to the bumper.
Yeah the 3/8ths to 1/2 should be fine. Yep only 1 more quart. My bumper was pushed forward so I could fit 33s with no lift. You may be able to leave ur bumper there. You could always just trim the bumper out to fit the tranny cooler. However u may not even need to trim it or push it forward at all.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:12 PM
sean9049
Senior User
i have 33' on my truck, and i just cut a little triangle out of the corners. i dont know which way is easier..

Old 09-16-2015, 10:59 PM
DougJ_1997PSD
Senior User
I was looking more closely at the truck and im seeing plenty of space in between the two existing radiators. If I can properly mount the cooler there, I might just do it. looking at the pictures, it looks like the cooler with the mounts is the width of the OEM radiators. Just a thought

Old 09-16-2015, 11:06 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 401 Likes on 270 Posts
We bent the trans cooler brackets to 90° and attached the cooler to the rad brackets. Then we bent the lower condenser brackets a bit to swing it out a little but the uppers were untouched
In front of all that a HUGE diesel innovations mondo IC was mounted. absolutely no headligjt support panel trimming was done...AT all!!!

Old 09-17-2015, 02:18 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman67
We bent the trans cooler brackets to 90° and attached the cooler to the rad brackets. Then we bent the lower condenser brackets a bit to swing it out a little but the uppers were untouched
In front of all that a HUGE diesel innovations mondo IC was mounted. absolutely no headligjt support panel trimming was done...AT all!!!
Oh how I wish this was me with the no trimming

Old 09-17-2015, 02:57 PM
DougJ_1997PSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordman67
That may be the way I go then! If it means less trimming and being able to fit massive ICs, it sounds like the way to go.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:49 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
A few pictures on 'babe the blue OX' thread.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:57 AM
DougJ_1997PSD
Senior User
I will definitely look at that thread. Another quick question for you guys, my trans temp gauge has never really worked. the PO installed it, and it used to work occasionally but never consistently. It would just sit at 300 degrees from when I started it. Now that it only works when it rains, I thought it may be a wiring connection because the wiring coming out of the sending unit looks pretty sketchy. I pulled the tape off and there was no problem, so I followed the wires all the way to the gauge and there was no problem. Any idea why it only works in the rain? also sometimes it will jerk around for no reason. Could it be the sending unit its self? I'm stumped with this one.

Quick Reply: 6.0 Trans Cooler