1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Removing later paint and cleear from original paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 01:46 PM
swolh
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Removing later paint and cleear from original paint

I have a 1955 F100. PO sprayed cheap silver paint right over the original turquoise paint and a clear coat over the silver. I want to remove the clear coat and silver to expose the original paint. Where the clear coat is already gone from UV, I can remove the silver with lacquer thinner and fine steel wool and some elbow grease - and the original paint underneath isn't harmed. But where the clear coat is intact over the silver, the lacquer thinner doesn't do anything.

I've thought about sanding with a super fine grit but I am worried I'll quickly eat through the thin silver layer that's between the clear coat and the original, and cut into the original paint.

Does anyone have any ideas how to remove the clear coat without damaging the original paint?

Last edited by swolh; 09-11-2015 at 01:48 PM. Reason: typo and clarity
Old 09-11-2015, 02:28 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by swolh
I have a 1955 F100. PO sprayed cheap silver paint right over the original turquoise paint and a clear coat over the silver. I want to remove the clear coat and silver to expose the original paint. Where the clear coat is already gone from UV, I can remove the silver with lacquer thinner and fine steel wool and some elbow grease - and the original paint underneath isn't harmed. But where the clear coat is intact over the silver, the lacquer thinner doesn't do anything.

I've thought about sanding with a super fine grit but I am worried I'll quickly eat through the thin silver layer that's between the clear coat and the original, and cut into the original paint.

Does anyone have any ideas how to remove the clear coat without damaging the original paint?
If the paint and clear is enamel, try oven cleaner. Spray it on and let it set for just a few minutes, then wipe off. This method will remove layers of enamel, just don't leave it on too long or it will go all the way to the metal.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:33 AM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 970 Likes on 864 Posts
You can try 2000 grit wet paper. Even if you do go all the way, you should be able to stop before doing any real damage to the original. Don't use a machine, and watch each stroke carefully. It's not the easiest way, but it may be the safest.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:22 AM
Ibuildmyown
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had good luck with a pressure washer on old paint removal. Chemicals could damage the paint you're trying to save. We use oven cleaner to strip baked on engine paint and grease on blocks and oil pans . Used brake fluid works to strip paint to bare metal.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:52 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Since car manufacturers first began using clear coat, car owners have debated on how to remove it when it fails. There is a simple answer, sand it off. I am not sure why you would want to remove a top coat while attempting to preserve the paint underneath it but have you considered how much work the painter put into preparing the original paint for the current paint job? You have a lot of faith in the assumption that the original paint is in good condition...why not prep the truck and paint it the original color?