6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Delta variance

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 12:39 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
your numbers are high because the bypass is open... slow down, but you already know that.
How is the water pump? Try back washing the radiator?
244 is pretty high.
Running tow/haul?
Pull it down one gear to get RPM up forcing the fan speed increase.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:36 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Bryan
Trying to maintain 80 mph pulling a grade with a load behind is most of the problem I think. Have you ever hit the CAT scales to weight the trailer? 244 is too hot repeatidly.
Side note: if you're still running ST tires be careful of a blow out. @ 80 mph it's more likely and you'll have carnage by the time you stop.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:40 PM
Thor'sHammer
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BryanStein
Thor, that looks my rig minus the rear slide. The reason I ask is I've been fighting high EOTs when towing. I average 238 or so and hit 244 last time I towed pulling a 3 mile, ?? grade hill at 80 mph. My deltas are 6 to 7 when tested, and I replaced the oil cooler bypass valve when doing my oil cooler last winter. So, I'm curious why my deltas are so much higher than others .... other than towing at 80 mph--which keeps my engine load up, and oil cooler bypass valve open.

I was originally thinking low on power because of low boost, but I'm not throwing any boost codes. HPO gets over 2500 and not much blowby. So I"m wondering if I'm low on power for some other reason. So I Any ideas, regardless of how silly, are welcome.

I'm looking to upgrade to a 5th wheel and increase my towing weight by about 2500 lbs and I'm a little concerned about the EOTs with my 8500 TT.
Your signature says you have an EGR delete. Do you have a tuner to turn off the EGR programming in the ECM? If not, You'll need to reinstall the EGR valve itself (or leave it sitting in the valley) for proper operation of the cooling fan.

Other than that, an 80 mph pull up a hill will likely yield high EOT.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:28 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
Bryan
Trying to maintain 80 mph pulling a grade with a load behind is most of the problem I think. Have you ever hit the CAT scales to weight the trailer? 244 is too hot repeatidly.
Side note: if you're still running ST tires be careful of a blow out. @ 80 mph it's more likely and you'll have carnage by the time you stop.
Ya think?
Towing at 80 mph is just crazy, not to mention, up hill. Wonder what speeds get reached going back down the other side?
Probably has the family in the trailer too?

Old 09-16-2015, 10:41 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by r2millers
Ya think?
Towing at 80 mph is just crazy, not to mention, up hill. Wonder what speeds get reached going back down the other side?
Somebody has to make lunch... stopping would kill the drive time to reach your destination!

You will get a CEL for low flow if you just lay the EGR in the valley, the tuner doesn't tuner the EGR off, just the light for the CEL to come on... I still have a P0401 for low flow every time I read codes, just no CEL light in the dash.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:47 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by WatsonR
Somebody has to make lunch... stopping would kill the drive time to reach your destination!

You will get a CEL for low flow if you just lay the EGR in the valley, the tuner doesn't tuner the EGR off, just the light for the CEL to come on... I still have a P0401 for low flow every time I read codes, just no CEL light in the dash.
Tuner should turn the EGR "off" by reporting -100% EGR valve position.

I have never had a pending EGR code with any tune, SCT Canned or Custom.

Josh

Old 09-16-2015, 11:04 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
Tuner should turn the EGR "off" by reporting -100% EGR valve position.

I have never had a pending EGR code with any tune, SCT Canned or Custom.

Josh
I stand corrected... then I've got a problem with mine, it's giving me P0401 always AND i use an SCT tuner.

thanks

Old 09-16-2015, 11:17 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
I stand corrected... then I've got a problem with mine, it's giving me P0401 always AND i use an SCT tuner.

thanks
Possibly being an early 6.0 versus 2005+?

On the trucks I'm familiar with (all 05+) none have shown a pending code for EGR delete and SCT Tuner.

Josh

Old 09-16-2015, 11:22 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
Possibly being an early 6.0 versus 2005+?

On the trucks I'm familiar with (all 05+) none have shown a pending code for EGR delete and SCT Tuner.

Josh
Mine is an 04'... I'm going to plug the tuner into it and get to the bottom of it. It may be a setting in the options that I'm missing or not. Either way... we are learning something today!

Edit;
Seems the older 6.0 works a little different than the 05+ as far as EGR goes. My tuner turns the EGR off when I load a custom tune, it's done by the guy building the program. The Touch Screen Extreme tuner (which I have) doesn't come with the options to turn off or turn on the EGR.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:40 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Mine is an 04'... I'm going to plug the tuner into it and get to the bottom of it. It may be a setting in the options that I'm missing or not. Either way... we are learning something today!

Edit;
Seems the older 6.0 works a little different than the 05+ as far as EGR goes. My tuner turns the EGR off when I load a custom tune, it's done by the guy building the program. The Touch Screen Extreme tuner (which I have) doesn't come with the options to turn off or turn on the EGR.

I saw no option neither. I'm assuming the Gearhead tune does it behind the scenes. Mines an '05.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:38 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by r2millers
Ya think?
Probably has the family in the trailer too?[/QUOTE]

Well of course the fam is in the TT. I need to dog out of my way and by keeping the fam in the TT, I don' to listen to them whine about stopping to see the Milledgeville GA Fairy Dust exhibit. I got places to be.

Seriously, both truck and TT have brand new load range E tires. Before I changed the TT tires, I didn't tow over 75mph. However, they would do some damage at that speed regardless of how new they are.

I've got an 04 so the CEL doesn't come on from poor EGR flow. It stores a code that I clear bi-annually. My egr valve is installed and plugged in. It just does nothing. I even pulled be butterfly off my CAC intake.

I guess I do need to slow down. I've tried the higher RPM 3rd gear stuff, but it only seems to increase my EOTs. I guess that because I still maintain 80mph when doing it.

I guess I'll conclude that at 80 MPH, that's an awful lot of load on that engine with the big front end (front of truck) and rear end (TT) wind sail. I think we all we all know we can gain 3 to 4 mpg just by slowing from 75 mph to 65 mph. There's lots of wind being pushed out of the way.

So, in conclusion, are you guys saying these trucks aren't designed for aerodynamics?

Ill report back my EOTs after I make a run or two at more "reasonable" speeds. Again, I'm looking to go to a 5th wheel, but I'd like to know my truck is functioning normally before doing so.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:55 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Bryan, I drag a bit more weight than you and what I do is monitor boost. I keep it around 21 psi and everything else stays in check pulling a grade. On a long 8% grade I am usually around 55-60mph or so cresting the hill.
I usually start out towing 60mph but after hours into it sometimes find myself backing down from 75. It's hard not taking advantage of the torque.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:13 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Since everybody's coming clean..

I tow an 8k trailer, same wind sail as everybody else.. but I tow about 70 and it keeps the temps down. I don't give stack for hills either.

Out west on long stretches, I could see 80mph as long as the equipment was designed to take that kind of abuse and definitely not a 65mph rated tire at 80mph.

Anything at any speed above 60mph is going to tear your stuff up... period!
Unloaded I get my best at 73mph, 2000rmp on the dot.

When I was pretty young, my mom would actually ride and sleep back there, not enough room for 5 in a standard cab truck.

Can I get a sammich?

Old 09-16-2015, 11:03 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Thanks for the info on towing oil temps guys. I just hate doing anything less than 75. If memory serves, last time I towed at 70 for about 20 miles, the eot Sat around 235, but my memory could be wrong. As starred above, I'll verify next time I tow.

Oh, radiator was replaced 2 yrs ago when I added the coolant filter. Water pump was replaced then too. I do use tow/haul when towing. It shifts down when I get down to 62mph. That's when I see my temps go up until three Dan clutch locks up. Then the temps go down quick.

Top the op, appologies for the hyjack.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:47 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
no worries, all good discussions here.

Quick Reply: Delta variance