1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

def blue in diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 02:05 PM
tlc1245
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
def blue in diesel

OK, made a BIG mistake, in a hurry put "def Blue" into diesel tank. Tried to start the truck...then realized my error. I took out the tank, drained it, but in doing so broke a couple of the fuel line clips, blue and yellow. Then crystal in the system. I had it towed to the dealer, who now says " that I need to purchase a whole new fuel line system, multiple lines, all the way to the engine. Can not just replace clips and ends. I can not believe this. So info appreciated

Old 09-09-2015, 02:16 PM
jpr38057
Elder User
The reason they are saying that is due to you trying to start the engine with the def in the fuel system. It will contaminate every piece of the fuel system.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:07 AM
lawdawg79
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dont feel to bad, a buddy of mine once put motor oil in his radiator.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:35 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jpr38057
The reason they are saying that is due to you trying to start the engine with the def in the fuel system. It will contaminate every piece of the fuel system.
Exactly.

It goes everywhere, and in a hurry too. The instant you turned the key on the fuel pump kicked in. There's no flush that can clean it out, as the DEF will form white crystals everywhere and cause premature corrosion in the fuel system. Unfortunately it's an extremely expensive mistake. It can be fixed, but it's non-warranty and you'll be replacing everything from fuel lines all the way to the injectors and everything in between.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:44 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
<p>Yup, Curtis is correct on this one, that's quite a costly mistake. &nbsp;</p><p>The proper fix is to replace the entire high pressure fuel system, which includes all 8 injectors and your injection pump. &nbsp;This is typically a $10,000+ repair. &nbsp;If you had caught the mistake before trying to start the truck you would have saved the majority of this. &nbsp;Once the engine cranks it sent the DEF through the high pressure pump, and at that point the damage has likely been done.&nbsp;</p><p>Some have gotten fortunate just flushing everything out and driving it, but this could cost more in the long run if a hanging injector destroys the engine. &nbsp;</p>

Old 10-15-2015, 09:21 PM
twistedaxels
New User
2015 Superduty def in fuel tank

My son did the same thing but his started and drove it til it quit. Had it towed to our shop where I siphoned all the fuel and def out that I could. Dropped the tank and there was still about 2 gallons left. Mostly Def. Removed the ring that holds the float valve. Not hard to do . This I found might be the best way to get all the fluid out and easily be washed and dried. So I washed the tank out with water and dried it with towels pulled both filters. Then disconnected all the lines on frame rail. There is a small fuel block I guess that's what it is, between the lower filter and engine that will need to be disconnected. Then the lines that feed the upper filter and to the pump . I used air to blow all of these lines out. Believe me it makes a mess. Washed out the lower fuel filter housing. I put everything back with new filters of course and fresh fuel. I did the 6 cycles priming the fuel system then gave her a whirl. On the third try it started, misfired for about 10 ie, pump iseconds then smoothed out and is running like it should. I do not know if there is any damage to the pump or injectors. I hope this helps somebody downthe road.
Originally Posted by tlc1245
OK, made a BIG mistake, in a hurry put "def Blue" into diesel tank. Tried to start the truck...then realized my error. I took out the tank, drained it, but in doing so broke a couple of the fuel line clips, blue and yellow. Then crystal in the system. I had it towed to the dealer, who now says " that I need to purchase a whole new fuel line system, multiple lines, all the way to the engine. Can not just replace clips and ends. I can not believe this. So info appreciated

Old 10-16-2015, 08:31 AM
DJRAAL
Senior User
Here is my take on Diesel Exhaust Fluid, first it says it is "HIGH GRADE UREA and Distilled water" or commonly know as "PI** and water".
So don't waste your money.
Instead go and buy yourself a good bottle of Scotch drink it then take a good long whizz in your fuel tank.
This way at least you will have the benefit of having enjoyed the Scotch and as a bonus you got some relief. Plus you didn't waste your money, unless of course you're one of those "heathens that think Scotch isn't good for you"
So forget about DEF think "Single Barrel Malt instead"
Just don't drink and drive!

Old 10-16-2015, 03:51 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by DJRAAL
Here is my take on Diesel Exhaust Fluid, first it says it is "HIGH GRADE UREA and Distilled water" or commonly know as "PI** and water".
So don't waste your money.
Instead go and buy yourself a good bottle of Scotch drink it then take a good long whizz in your fuel tank.
This way at least you will have the benefit of having enjoyed the Scotch and as a bonus you got some relief. Plus you didn't waste your money, unless of course you're one of those "heathens that think Scotch isn't good for you"
So forget about DEF think "Single Barrel Malt instead"
Just don't drink and drive!
Hope you're not being serious. Someone reads this and thinks you are may be on the hook for some expen$ive repairs.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:06 PM
DJRAAL
Senior User
"Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is an emissions control liquid required by modern diesel engines. It is injected into the exhaust stream. DEF is never added to diesel fuel. It is a non-hazardous solution of 32.5% urea in 67.5% de-ionized water."
It Is what it is. Pi** and water
As for the rest I'll let you figure out whether I'm serious or not.
I hope that you're not serious.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:28 PM
Tom
Super Moderator

I hope that you're not serious.
I'm always serious. After all, the internet is Serious Business.

Urine is typically over 95% water and 1-3% urea. So if the other dissolved organic and inorganic solids didn't foul the system, there wouldn't be enough urea content to complete the reaction in the exhaust. This would set the CEL, limp mode, and require a system flush at a minimum. Urea is a waste byproduct of metabolism, but it's also made by other means and used in lots of different things.

Urea is produced commercially though a synthetic reaction involving CO2 and ammonia, and is used for lots of consumer products such as hair conditioner, adhesives, and cosmetics. SOURCE.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:44 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not even close to accurate, sorry. It was a common misconception when DEF was first introduced and made the rounds on the internet as if it were fact. But like most rumors, it was quickly disproved.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:33 PM
davester250
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, you've got problems if you are p!ssing anything close to DEF fluid.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:06 PM
NYCruiser
Senior User
I guess it depends what you drank.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:26 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,596 Likes on 1,301 Posts
Pretty sure diesel in the DEF tank is just as bad.

People at work run the trucks out of DEF. That and short drive cycles keep it from going into regen. They get so bad they won't regen, then they go reduced power. Do they write them up? No. Keep driving, then they go 35mph max. Do they write them up? No. Keep driving at 35 mph till they go into shut down. Do they write them up? Not always.

If it was just me driving, I would consider a new diesel with all the emissions stuff. If I was buying for a fleet with different drivers, I'd buy gas and suffer the fuel economy difference while enjoying the lower purchase price and maintenance costs along with the elimination of the above problem.

What? OK....

Old 10-16-2015, 11:28 PM
Pwrgeek
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or you could just do a delete of this crap. Get better fuel mileage and never have to worry about it again.

Quick Reply: def blue in diesel