1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New ride - this one runs and drives!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 07:06 PM
brit_wheels_fan
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
New ride - this one runs and drives!

Temp sensor here?

Y Block left side 272 or 292?

Y Block front left

Y Block right side

The truck's eBay photo in California before arriving in Morton, WA.

Hello again '48 - '56 forum faithful! While Harleymsn is doing miracles with Dolly, a '51 Five Star w/ a 239 flathead (a.k.a. 'Rusty Red' while in my garage), I have just acquired another 'Effie,' a '56 Custom Cab. - This one runs and drives!! Full photos coming later, it's raining right now in Morton, WA. I am however posting four engine photos with the following questions: 1. Where would the temp sensor go? (First photo shows a pencil pointing to where I think it should go, above the back end of the left cylinder head, just behind the intake manifold.) 2. How can I identify whether it is a 272 or a 292 Y block? The engine is not original to the truck. The VIN shows that it was originally a six cylinder truck. - Made my first visit to the Y Block forum with the same questions. Again, I thank you for any reply you may offer.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:33 PM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
NICE!! Can hardly wait for mine to look that nice.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:19 PM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
Looks gorgeous.
Oil temp, sounds about right?

Old 09-06-2015, 08:36 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Good looking ride there Rob, the casting numbers on the engine should be on the drivers side near or below the oil filter.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:47 PM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
Nice truck.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:56 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Yep, temp sensor goes here:

Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2015, 10:24 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a link to casting numbers that will tell you what engine you have.
TECHNICAL

Old 09-06-2015, 10:29 PM
brit_wheels_fan
Senior User
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Good looking ride there Rob, the casting numbers on the engine should be on the drivers side near or below the oil filter.
Thanks, Joe. I will get underneath and have a look. Somehow, I just knew you would know the answer on this one. THANKS!

Old 09-06-2015, 10:36 PM
brit_wheels_fan
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rimrock F1
Here is a link to casting numbers that will tell you what engine you have.
TECHNICAL
Thanks, Rimrock. I think your photo is the the same place I pointed to with my pencil. I am not sure from your photo, but I think that's a ground cable to the right of the sensor. I just ordered the sensor from Carpenter, but I am also that nice red wire with the white stripe and cap that goes on the sender. Again, thank you for the pic and info.

Oops, it appears to have been Tedster9 that supplied the photo, but I will certainly use your link to casting numbers when I find them on my engine block.

Last edited by brit_wheels_fan; 09-06-2015 at 11:49 PM. Reason: error on crediting reply
Old 09-06-2015, 10:41 PM
brit_wheels_fan
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Yep, temp sensor goes here:
Thanks, Tedster. On first glance I thought the photo was Rimrocks, but then I noticed it was yours. Just ordered a sensor, but I will need to find a wire to plug into it. Thanks again for your photo.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:49 PM
brit_wheels_fan
Senior User
Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Nice truck.
Thanks, Greg. The photo is flattering, but it's still nice for a sixty year old. At least this one isn't rusted out as my previous truck was. Harleymsn is a courageous individual to take on the challenge that Dolly presents, but he is making great progress and he certainly appears to be equal to the challenge. - I need something a little more civil.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:15 AM
brit_wheels_fan
Senior User
Questions answered! Just went to the garage with a mirror and looked at the side of the block just above the oil filter. My engine is a 292 or possibly a 312. The casting number is ECZ 6015 A, with that number appearing above the oil filter it means it was a 1956 engine cast at the Cleveland foundry. Blocks cast at the Dearborn foundry had the numbers near the distributor and above the generator. Nearly all Dearborn blocks after 1954 were 272 engines and there were no Dearborn blocks after 1957. The 6015 part of the number was Ford's number for all engine blocks. The only way to tell 292 from 312 would be to look for EBU on the main caps indicating a 292, or ECZ on the main caps indicating 312. These code letters can be found inside the engine on either the main caps or of the crank flange. - I don't plan to be looking there and I suppose it would only matter if ordering internal engine parts for a rebuild. Now a new question: Would external engine parts (water pumps, fuel pumps, generators, starters, oil filters, fuel filters, spark plugs, etc.) be the same for 292 and 312 engines?

The link you provided, Rimrock, gives a wealth of information. Thanks again!

Old 09-07-2015, 01:33 AM
brit_wheels_fan
Senior User
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Wow, Joe, I just checked your photos of Dollie Belle OnPitRoad, you have been busy! Will you be using anything of the truck as I knew it? I see you have the frame rails painted or treated. It looks like a more modern front suspension is going on. I think I see a 1993 Ford truck automatic transmission labeled 302. Will you use the old flathead or the rear axle on the NEW truck? I could not tell what the new parts were in photo 75, the one taken in the kitchen. When this is done, I have to come to Tennessee to see the result. Looks like it will be a radical transformation. I am amazed at what you have done in just three months!

Old 09-07-2015, 02:32 AM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow that is a truck anyone would be proud to drive, and rightly so, she's pretty. If you ever want to check those main caps without getting dirty. For around $80 with coupon at HF, I bought a scope with a bendable tube that has light and camera on its end. I've used mine for everything from checking pistons thru the spark plug holes, to finding a dropped bolt, to finding an object dropped behind the dresser, to checking for a hearing aid under the stove, to checking and finding how a rat got into our house by sticking it down a heater vent,(Yeah he chewed right into a heater duct), etc, etc, ect. You could slip the scope into the drain plug hole the next time you change oil, its plenty clear enough to read the cap information. Or you could also drop the pan, but then you wouldn't have the cool toy afterwards. The Holidays are coming, so you could ask Santa for one, come to think about it I think that's how I got mine. Anyway you would know what engine you have. Im rambling on so congratulations on your new truck, and take it easy.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:42 AM
ranger pat
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
My 56 F100 had a reman 312 engine in it when I got it from the original owner. The temp sensor was relocated to near the thermostat housing. When I tried to change it back to the original temp sensor location, I discovered that 272 truck engines used a larger diameter sensor and 312 car engines used a smaller diameter sensor. I later updated the entire drive train so I never located a source for the smaller car temp sensor. Or maybe it was from NPD and too pricey at the time.

Quick Reply: New ride - this one runs and drives!