Blown Turbo Hose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 07:11 PM
gaucoin
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown Turbo Hose?

2012 F250 Lariat 6.7 diesel pulling a 40ft Forest River Sandpiper 5'er 15k.

Was just pulling north on I81 in Mid Virginia coming out of the smokey mountains. Started in Houston earlier in the week and did 500 miles per day. I was 350 miles into this pull on our way to Virginia. I was running 68-70MPH

I told my wife this was the first time I could feel the trailer behind us. It felt heavy today but the truck was not showing any signs of being sluggish.

We heard a pop and the exhaust brake kicked in almost to a fail safe mode and I had no power and crawled to the side of the road. we thought it was a blow out, but we had control of the vehicle.

roadside assistance carried the truck in. In Idle, the truck sounded normal, but once you hit the gas it was jerking and had little power.

Ford Dealership says it is just a blown turbo hose...however, they provided a smart *** comment about well he had to be doing something for this to happen.....

After a recent torque converter failure and a blown pinion seal in the rear and I am starting to have some doubts...

Thoughts? 1. Is there anything else I need to have the check besides just hose and B. is this truck not able to pull a 15K trailer?

Another point of info, wife thought the exhaust brake was driving RPMs to high. is there anything to the exhaust brake running too high in the mountainous terrain.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:51 PM
elmerfudd51
Junior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
did the hose rupture or just become disconnected. in 05 i had a new ram cummins with only a few hundred miles on it. pulled out to pass another vehicle and the bottom hose just slipped off. guess the clamp wasn't tightened at the factory. after i discovered what was wrong, i just loosened clamp, put hose back on and re-tightened the clamp. had it checked at a dealer a few days later and they said all was well. whether yours ruptured or just slipped off doesnt matter. you should be good to go again.

had the same thing to happen a few years ago on a loaded big rig. it would barely pull the load to the next exit where i could get it repaired.

Old 08-29-2015, 11:33 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Blowing a turbo boot is not unheard of across all brands.

Does not happen often.

I tow often in the same amount of weight as you. No problems at all.

Sometimes it is the boot, other time the clamps.

Fix it and move on.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:51 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
Don't forget to spray a little of your wife's hair spray on the inside of the boot after you clean it.... just that little "glue" will keep it from coming off again.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:41 PM
gaucoin
New User
Many thanks

Will update if anything different. How long does this job take?

Old 08-30-2015, 07:44 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Not long. I'd imagine they will get you for 1 hour labor plus parts. Unless it is a warranty..then should be in and out in an hour.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:51 PM
carolinacamper
Junior User
yep, been down that road. Bottom hose on the driver side came off. The hose clamp actually broke right at one of the spot wields. This was on a very steep climb pulling my 5th wheel in the North Carolina mountains around the Linville Falls area. I thought the sucker had blown up. Never could have imagined any motor smoking that much! Mine is tuned but I was running stock power. Anyway 300 bucks later and I was towed the last mile up the mountain and the tow truck driver replaced the clamp for me. Don't know why but the hose that came off was Teflon and the other 3 are regular rubber hoses.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:29 AM
santafedave
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blown turbo boot

This happened to me on my 2004 SD KR. I was climbing a hill and I heard a loud pop and then lots of black smoke. Drove about 5 miles home and the boot had an inch crack in it. Cost about $40.00 bucks to replace.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:05 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucoin
2012 F250 Lariat 6.7 diesel pulling a 40ft Forest River Sandpiper 5'er 15k.
We heard a pop and the exhaust brake kicked in almost to a fail safe mode and I had no power and crawled to the side of the road. we thought it was a blow out, but we had control of the vehicle.
For starters, you don't have an exhaust brake. If it was a hose, then what you felt was the complete lack of boost. An engine designed to run with a turbo does not run very well without the turbo (well it runs ok, just has a lack of power).

Ford Dealership says it is just a blown turbo hose...however, they provided a smart *** comment about well he had to be doing something for this to happen.....

............and B. is this truck not able to pull a 15K trailer?
Dipchit dealer, having a hose pop off or split is not that uncommon on any vehicle, including the Detroit 2000 series ladder truck I drive.

As to your trailer weight, I have over 26,000 miles out of 73,000 miles pulling my toy hauler, which weighs anywhere between 16,000 - 19,000 pounds. And we have pulled it all over from Arkansas to New Hampshire. Pulls it fine, just the lack of an exhaust brake which will mean replacing the truck when the 17's roll out.

wife thought the exhaust brake was driving RPMs to high. is there anything to the exhaust brake running too high in the mountainous terrain.
The RPM's - the RPM the engine management allows does seem high running down the hills, but the electronics are designed to not let the engine hurt itself (aside from a component failure)

Will update if anything different. How long does this job take?

So, the update?