Sponsored by: DP Tuner

HOLY SMOKES THE BRAKES HIT THE FLOOR!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 01:33 PM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HOLY SMOKES THE BRAKES HIT THE FLOOR!!

Good grief was taking the truck into town for a plate inspection and when I got to the bottom of the hill where I live the brake pedal hit the floor!! I opened the hood but could not see any leaks either on top or under the truck. The reservoir was still full. Went back to the house and let it run and I pumped the pedal but saw no leaks! Pedal would get hard and then fall to the floor!I took a SLOW trip to town and left it at the dealer here in Bryson City. They are a small dealership and have treated me fair in other dealings with them. Not sure whats wrong at this time and the hydro boost is over my head. Leaning toward that! any other ideas what might be wrong? Just hope the Buckzooka does not have to fire a large salvo!

Smokie

Old 08-24-2015, 01:44 PM
kbarbee95
Senior User
Mine was doing that same thing, I triggered the abs on a dirt road and it firmed right up and been fine for 3 months now.

Find a dirt road and try to trigger the abs SAFELY! Probably only need 5mph then stomp on the brakes.

I read that if thats not the problem then its either the master cylinder slipping or the RABS module/system. Not sure what that is because I never had to go that far sorry.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:33 PM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
that'll tighten up the bung hole for sure. let us know what the outcome is. good thing you were not towing that 5er

love bryson city and the train..

Originally Posted by Smokiesman
Good grief was taking the truck into town for a plate inspection and when I got to the bottom of the hill where I live the brake pedal hit the floor!! I opened the hood but could not see any leaks either on top or under the truck. The reservoir was still full. Went back to the house and let it run and I pumped the pedal but saw no leaks! Pedal would get hard and then fall to the floor!I took a SLOW trip to town and left it at the dealer here in Bryson City. They are a small dealership and have treated me fair in other dealings with them. Not sure whats wrong at this time and the hydro boost is over my head. Leaning toward that! any other ideas what might be wrong? Just hope the Buckzooka does not have to fire a large salvo!

Smokie

Old 08-24-2015, 03:09 PM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Hey thanks Carl! The wife and I were both thinking the same thing!That would def pucker up them seat cushions !!

Smokie

Old 08-24-2015, 05:19 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Had that happen to me in a Chevy years back, was the rear brake line. But that is easy to see. Not sure on the ABS but sounds like master cylinder. Hydro boost isn't bad to change. Mine leaked so I had to change it out. Looks harder then it is.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:32 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Mine did that out of the blue 3 years ago. Replacing the master cylinder cured it.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:40 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well to start it sounds like (most likely) the hydro boost/master cyl is either leaking or failed, possibly a slave cyl failure, as for the RABS, it's possible but I don't think that's the case as the RABS shouldn't cause your brake pedal to just drop to the floor.

RABS = Rear Anti Lock Braking (Brake) System

Old 08-24-2015, 06:20 PM
kbarbee95
Senior User
I would still try triggering the abs a couple of times before replacing anything. If there is a bit or metal shaving stuck in an abs valve it could allow the pressure to bleed out.

But wait do they completely hit the floor quickly, or slowly descend to the floor?

If it quickly hits the floor, probably master cylinder.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:01 PM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Well when I double pump the brakes I have brakes but when I stop and hold foot on pedal she goes right down till I pump again ! But no fluid loss!!

Smokie

Old 08-24-2015, 07:09 PM
Thomas White
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokiesman
Well when I double pump the brakes I have brakes but when I stop and hold foot on pedal she goes right down till I pump again ! But no fluid loss!!

Smokie
Rebuild the Master Cylinder. It's leaking by a bad O-Ring.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:47 PM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
If I was about 5 years younger I might have done the job ! but now I will leave it up to the younger guys!

Smokie

Old 08-26-2015, 02:16 PM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
UPDATE: Well got the old girl back today and looks like I dodged a bullet !Turned out to be a rusted brake line in the rear on a hanger or clamp! Strange I did not see any fluid on my slab at the house? The damages came to a $126.00 which I did not feel like I was gouged ! Nice to be able to stop again!! Which is good!!Guess I can unload the Buckzooka !! Whew !!!!

Smokie

Old 08-26-2015, 02:31 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Good deal. They treated you right.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:43 PM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Good deal. They treated you right.
There is something to be said about small town dealerships! When you think about it there base of customers is going to be small and they need repeats and if they shaft ya to many times yer not going back! and they will not be in business to long!! In small towns the word gets around fast! They are sort of like "Cheers" where everybody know yer name !

Smokie

Old 08-26-2015, 04:06 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by carl2591
that'll tighten up the bung hole for sure. let us know what the outcome is. good thing you were not towing that 5er

love bryson city and the train..

He could stop using the trailer brakes. When my rear brake line failed behind the tank, I had just picked up my camper from the dealer. Drove the truck home using the trailer brakes.

Carefully!

Quick Reply: HOLY SMOKES THE BRAKES HIT THE FLOOR!!