6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Coolant question in regards to swapping radiator

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 08:12 AM
BigBlueX
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant question in regards to swapping radiator

Ok so I'm getting ready to swap out my radiator. I'm not sure if the current coolant in the truck is Ford Gold or ELC. I will assume it's Gold. Will I need to do a full flush of the old coolant or just drain out the radiator and add the ELC? I also saw some write ups of flushing the system, which one would be the easiest? I saw some that involve removing the starter which I would like to avoid if possible, and also saw one that flushes through the heater core. Also should I flush with the old radiator installed then put in the new one?

Finally deciding on a radiator. Seems like all aluminum is the consensus around here with Mishimoto being the popular choice. I came across an OEM style radiator for $150 with lifetime warranty from Radiator Classic. Should I go for the OEM and save the money for other things or just go with the all aluminum Mishimoto regardless?

Thanks

Old 08-24-2015, 09:51 AM
Jmoen7
Elder User
I wouldn't assume anything. Is it gold colour? Most likely gold. I've heard some additives in Ford Gold will turn it green (may be wrong) But ELC is always redish.

If you don't know, prep for a full flush anyways, mixing coolant will cause you issues down the road. If you were just refilling i wouldnt pull the block drains but if you are potentially changing to elc (Again, would be good if you knew what was in the truck) i would look into pulling the block drains and then replacing the plug with a fumoto drain valve to make any future drain/issue that much easier

Old 08-24-2015, 10:07 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,496 Likes on 1,733 Posts
The Rotella ELC Ultra is yellow, same as the Ford coolant. Also "some" coolants are red and not the proper diesel ELC.

I wouldn't go by color. If you don't know what you have, then drain, refill, run to temperature, cool, and then repeat multiple times with distilled water. After 4-5 repeats, then fill with 3.5 gallons of your desired concentrated coolant. Top off with distilled water.

The block drains Jmoen7 mentioned are a great idea!

Old 08-24-2015, 10:18 AM
Mark_in_co
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't know, assume the worst and do a full flush. +1 on the Fumoto's, I wish I had! I didn't have time to wait for them, I was in more of an emergency get it back on the road scenario. Pulling the starter is a pain, but you have to to drain the block. Put the Fumoto in on the first time and no more starter pulls. I haven't had to replace my radiator so I can't help you on choosing which one to go with.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:19 AM
BigBlueX
Senior User
I'll look into those drain valves. It sounds like a good idea. Any advise on the radiator itself?

Old 08-24-2015, 10:21 AM
Jmoen7
Elder User
Originally Posted by BigBlueX
I'll look into those drain valves. It sounds like a good idea. Any advise on the radiator itself?
Lifetime warranty is good too, but remember that's parts not labour. IMO i would go with a billet 1 piece radiator that doesnt have crimped plastic end caps

Old 08-24-2015, 01:28 PM
lupuseven
YouTube Certified Mech
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Being that my plastic end capped one cracked and made my truck useless in a matter of mins with no warning (that I saw, I always look for the obvious). If you plan on keeping the truck or passing down I'd say go with the Mishimoto or a similar all aluminum one. I got lucky and was able to get a replacement immediately, but if it had a happened 2 days later I would have been on a lonely road in the desert with no cell service.

Just my 2c

Old 08-24-2015, 01:46 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Bullet Proof Diesel offers a full metal radiator. Depending on where you are, it may be a good choice (shipping isn't free). I got a Mishimoto and have been happy with it. Shop around, prices on the Mishimoto vary from different suppliers. XDP had the best price I could find at the time. There are also eBay sellers listing real Mishimoto radiators. I'd skip the plastic tank models if the budget allows.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:13 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by bismic
The Rotella ELC Ultra is yellow, same as the Ford coolant. Also "some" coolants are red and not the proper diesel ELC.
.??? Rotella ELC is red .......

Old 08-24-2015, 02:30 PM
BigBlueX
Senior User
Well I pulled the trigger on the Mishimoto. I feel better about buying it now. I beat myself up trying to save a buck but peace of mind is priceless. Also as for my coolant, it is a light yellow in color. I'll be flushing it all out and switching to the ELC. Will any brand due or are they pretty much all the same?

Old 08-24-2015, 02:34 PM
evan1242
Elder User
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
.??? Rotella ELC is red .......
Rotella is ELC is red.
Rotella ELC Ultra is yellow

Rotella ELC uses a carboxylate based corrosion inhibitor
Rotella Ultra ELC uses a molybdate based corrosion inhibitor

Old 08-24-2015, 03:20 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,405 Posts
Yes, I know.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:23 PM
BigBlueX
Senior User
Originally Posted by evan1242
Rotella is ELC is red.
Rotella ELC Ultra is yellow

Rotella ELC uses a carboxylate based corrosion inhibitor
Rotella Ultra ELC uses a molybdate based corrosion inhibitor

Can I use either one?

Old 08-24-2015, 06:08 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,496 Likes on 1,733 Posts
yes .

Old 08-24-2015, 06:58 PM
jeremiah77
Junior User
The CAT EC-1 was a pain to get ahold of around here. Some local NAPA's stock the Rotella some don't. I ran the Rotella Ultra ELC for almost a year. Recently, I switched to Amsoil heavy-duty only because it was easier for me to get. The only thing I don't like about it so far is that it only comes in pre-mixed. It's a Red Ethylene Glycol mix that is CAT EC-1 approved.

AMSOIL Heavy-Duty Antifreeze & Coolant

Quick Reply: Coolant question in regards to swapping radiator