6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

why is my oil so dirty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 10:59 PM
wetbiker
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why is my oil so dirty?

Just changed it maybe 500 miles ago, doing my injectors now and the oil looks pretty darn brown. I usually change the oil and oil/fuel filters at 10k miles, is that too much?

thanks
Shem

Old 08-18-2015, 11:20 PM
evan1242
Elder User
Yes that is way to long.
Every 10k is ok for the fuel filters.
You should be changing your oil and filter every 5k or 200 hours. Whichever comes first.

If I took ownership of a truck that has been getting oil changes every 10k miles I would change it every 2k miles for probably the first 4 or 5 times.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:06 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Have you tested your oil to warrant a 10k oil change? Where did you come up with the interval you are currently using?

Old 08-19-2015, 06:06 AM
Jmoen7
Elder User
Unless you have tested your oil at 5k to prove it is still good, 10k is a risky guess. 5k is the rule of thumb for a reason, and cheaping out wont be cheap for long

Old 08-19-2015, 08:07 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
When I change my oil when drain plug is out I start it and let it run till it dies or coughs once

It gets another 1.5--2 qts out

That might scare some folks but it's only running for 10-15 seconds that way

Google oil cleaning centrifuge
The link is on my computer so I don't have it now but it found one that was small and could be mounted in the engine compartment and would clean the oil while you drove

As long as the pics were not bogus they took black oil and was cleaning it to the point it started turning brown again looked like it worked great it was around 500 for it

Old 08-19-2015, 08:42 AM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Royal Purple and K&Ns

This is not a Royal Purple or K&N sales pitch. What I'm about to say is based on my own 20 year experiences with RP products and 3 year experiences with K&N.

I have used RP synthetic SAE 20W-50 motor oil for 10 years. I have a late build '03 6.0L in an '04 X. Have 128K on the clock and have never had any stiction, turbo or injector problems or replacements. I change my oil in my X every 10K miles and for the last two years have been using a K&N re-useable stainless steel oil filter with internal magnets that I can pull and check for metal debris and clean whenever I feel the need to. I also use RP SAE 0W-40 and a K&N re-useable oil filter in my '08 Dodge Super Bee and RP HPS 5W-30 and re-useable K&N in my '10 ZR1 Corvette. I change the oil in each of them at 10K miles. There is nothing wrong with running synthetic oil 10K miles between oil changes. If you don't, you are wasting a lot of oil and spending a lot of money, needlessly. Just my humble opinion.

I also have RP synthetic ATF in my X and Super Bee tranny. Changed over in the X at 60K miles. Tranny shifts as good as the day I got it ten years ago. RP recommends changing at 100K miles.

As for K&N re-useable oil filters, I don't even remove them off my Super Bee or ZR1 until ever third oil change. I wash them in gasoline and check the magnets for any metallic particles. I also check the oil filter canister for any debris in the bottom. Have not found any yet.

Ed

Old 08-19-2015, 10:16 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by DSMMH
There is nothing wrong with running synthetic oil 10K miles between oil changes.
Unless you have a UOA to back that up, that's pure supposition. It's not just about removing solids, shearing of the viscosity and fuel dilution are two things you can't control with a filter, and impact the service life of the oil.

There is a lot wrong with running any oil 10k miles in a HEUI diesel without supporting data.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:38 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
5,000 miles or 200 hours, whichever comes first.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:44 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
oooh yeaaaa

I change my oil every 5K, maximum. I like how it works out with these intervals, cause I get play with my trucks oil hole more often, and I like using my fingers.... And by the way, like I have said before, my trucks a girl!!

Old 08-19-2015, 03:26 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
I still change my oil at 5K give or take a few miles mostly take.

That being said I would like to see proof of the viscosity shearing
at 5k, 7.5K and 10K. I don't recall any of the reports listing the viscosity
index of the oil they are checking.

That only leaves fuel dilution. That should show in the viscosity index value.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 08-19-2015, 03:26 PM
Don Naslund
Laughing Gas
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
5,000 miles or 6 months. Acids do build up in the oil and the only way of getting rid of the acids is to drain and refill.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:43 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by wetbiker
why is my oil so dirty?
It's not.

Diesel engine oil always has exhaust combustion products suspended in the oil from blowby. It happens in brand new engines.

All "diesel" type oils have additives that will keep soot suspended in the oil so it can be drained when changed. That soot is microscopic and will pass right through a filter (except a "bypass" filter) unimpeded.

Soot will 'turn' oil "black" (dark) almost immediately since you don't remove all of the oil during a change. If you could remove all the oil and flush all the remaining residual soot out, the oil would be "clean" for only a very short period of time.

As long as you change the oil when the manufacturer suggests, you'll NEVER get the soot levels up to the point where the dispersant additives cannot keep them in suspension.

If you want to run your oil longer, you MUST take samples and have them tested for soot and other contaminants. (big trucking companies and others do this to extend oil drain intervals)

For most of us, it's just not worth the hassle and additional expense.

It's just easier to change the oil and filter.

Cheers,

Rick

Old 08-19-2015, 05:06 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Yahiko
I still change my oil at 5K give or take a few miles mostly take.

That only leaves fuel dilution. That should show in the viscosity index value.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder
Bismic has pretty good documentation on his truck. 6.0's are known to be extremely hard on oil. That's why even with a bypass filter it's recommended to change the oil at 5K intervals.

And to the OP: If you're oil isn't getting black it's not doing it's job.

Rick: Very well said.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:01 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Go to BITOG where there are a bunch of threads there with scanned UOAs. We have some:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ts-secret.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...lackstone.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...il-1-5w40.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-and-uoas.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/2...osity-oil.html

I'm not going to sweat a $100 oil change when I spend 10x that on fuel for that 5k interval already already. I've seen enough of other peoples' UOAs showing shear is a real thing, and I don't want to mess with a UOA every interval to get an extra 1-3k on the oil when I can drop it and replace in half an hour. Cost/benefit with the time isn't there for me.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:20 PM
jeremiah77
Junior User
Yep, even with full synthetics. I still personally don't go past 5,000 miles in my 6.0 though a few guys who buy it from me swear by 10k or more intervals. I don't use synthetics with the goal of extending my oci I use them with the intent of using the best I can get. JMO

Quick Reply: why is my oil so dirty?