6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

No throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 04:39 PM
Bite N Hold
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No throttle response

So while driving just now the truck went down to idle and no matter what I did to the gas pedal the throttle would not change. The truck didn't die but would just sit at idle. It was like the gas pedal wasn't connected. About a minute later it surged a little and then I was able to drive like normal. Any ideas?
History- last week while at a red light the engine surged and then almost died. Light changed and I hit the gas....and stayed at idle...then died. Restarted and died two more times and then just drove like normal. Changed fuel filters and and checked fuel pressure. Under boost it was 38-40 psi. Idle it was 45. Cac tube replaced due to cracks.
Help please!

Old 08-17-2015, 05:33 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
That could be a lot of things but I'd try unplugging the EBP sensor. 2005 truck?

Old 08-17-2015, 08:24 PM
Bite N Hold
Senior User
Rusty- Yes 2005. Where is the ebp sensor and what does it do"

Old 08-17-2015, 08:42 PM
Bite N Hold
Senior User
So I just read another post where someone had a shudder. Is it possible its the egr that is causing this? This is my daily driver and I'm stuck. Don't know what to do!

Old 08-17-2015, 08:55 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
EBP is one of many sensors on the engine that can cause an issue like you described. Just suggested you unplug it and see if the throttle begins working next time it fails.

It's on the end of a metal tube coming out of the driver side exhaust manifold. EBP is an acronym for Exhaust Back Pressure. as its name suggests, it tells the computer how much pressure is in the exhaust system (at the manifold). That info is used primarily for turbo charger adjustments. It's not the loss of that function that causes the problem, rather it's an internal short that causes a low power condition at the others sensors powered by the same circuit. The accelerator pedal being another.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:00 PM
Bite N Hold
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
EBP is one of many sensors on the engine that can cause an issue like you described. Just suggested you unplug it and see if the throttle begins working next time it fails.

It's on the end of a metal tube coming out of the driver side exhaust manifold. EBP is an acronym for Exhaust Back Pressure. as its name suggests, it tells the computer how much pressure is in the exhaust system (at the manifold). That info is used primarily for turbo charger adjustments. It's not the loss of that function that causes the problem, rather it's an internal short that causes a low power condition at the others sensors powered by the same circuit. The accelerator pedal being another.
Awesome info! Going to just clean it and replace the sensor in the morning. Thanks again!

Old 08-17-2015, 09:13 PM
evan1242
Elder User
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Like rusty said just unplug it.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:27 PM
Bite N Hold
Senior User
So just unplug it? What if it is shorted? So it is an unnecessary sensor?

Old 08-17-2015, 10:42 PM
evan1242
Elder User
Just unplug to see if it is the problem.
Not saying to unplug it forever.
If the sensor is shorting out, unplugging it will not allow it to short out other sensors.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:36 AM
Mike189677
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bite N Hold
So while driving just now the truck went down to idle and no matter what I did to the gas pedal the throttle would not change. The truck didn't die but would just sit at idle. It was like the gas pedal wasn't connected. About a minute later it surged a little and then I was able to drive like normal. Any ideas?
History- last week while at a red light the engine surged and then almost died. Light changed and I hit the gas....and stayed at idle...then died. Restarted and died two more times and then just drove like normal. Changed fuel filters and and checked fuel pressure. Under boost it was 38-40 psi. Idle it was 45. Cac tube replaced due to cracks.
Help please!
Might want to do something about your fuel pressure. You don't want to go below 45 psi ever. It can damage injectors. Sounds like you could use a blue spring kit at minimum and if that doesn't get you where you need to be could be fuel pump time. Hopefully when you changed the fuel filters you used motorcraft filters.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:57 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
On the throttle failing to respond. Watch the Vref and see if it goes to
less that 5 volts. The truck will run but the throttle needs the Vref power
to tell the PCM how much throttle your giving it. This is all because the
engine is drive by wire. You don't have any cable to a throttle plate.

You will find something like the SGII (Scanguage 2) is a very handy tool to have.
You can get them at Autozone for around $160 or it you can wait and want it pre-programed
there are some that have them for less and programed for the 6.0L
ScanGaugeII : Linear Logic - Home of the ScanGauge
If you don't go with a programmed unit then you will have to enter some info for the Xguages
not really hard. If your not good with that type of thing just find some kid to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0aY...=DieselTechRon

Well that is odd it should of left a window for the Youtube video. The link still works.

There are other options for watching live sensor data. Just ask and someone will fill
you in on what they use. They more or less are based on the ELM module that also
pluggs into the OBD2 port.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 08-18-2015, 06:19 AM
Bite N Hold
Senior User
Sean mike and evan- I have the torque pro. Not sure if I can measure the vref value in this. Does the blue spring raise fuel pressure? Does Ford carry the blue srping?

Old 08-18-2015, 09:43 AM
Bite N Hold
Senior User
Is there a way to test the EBP to see if it is shorted out? Is it possible to clean the pipe out with out taking it off with brake cleaner and a compressor?

Old 08-18-2015, 10:16 AM
evan1242
Elder User
You should be able to put vreff in torque pro.
The blue spring update does raise fuel pressure.
Like said above 45 psi or less will kill injectors fast.
You want to completely remove the pipe.
If not, what ever you get loose and blow up in there is going to go through the turbo next time you start the truck.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:23 AM
Bite N Hold
Senior User
Can't find vref in torque pro.

Quick Reply: No throttle response