1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Changed the oil in the top of the engine.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 12:51 PM
SC_Dave
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Changed the oil in the top of the engine.

I found and followed this today. POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners

I made the jar and used my shop vac in place of a vac pump. As I understand it this oil should recirculate with the crankcase oil, maybe so, maybe it doesn't I don't know. But I do know the oil that came out was thick and black! I followed what the video showed including adding the Prolong oil additive.

Prior to this set of videos from power stroke help I had never heard of this. At this point I can with out a doubt tell you I have never heard my injectors run this quietly. I don't know nearly as much as some of you do but IMHO noise is friction and friction is heat and heat kills....... Quiet is good!
David

Old 08-15-2015, 01:42 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
I did the same thing when I bought my new to me 2000 7.3 about a year and a half ago. I felt good with the results and knew the oil in the pump was fresh and clean and was not waiting to be recycled through the system.

Of course, if I had owned the truck from the start of its life, I probably would not have ever done this. Although, not really knowing truly what the history of the truck was, I didn't mind taking an extra 15 minutes to help the truck along at its new home.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:49 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do this about every 4 oil changes. Its a peace of mind thing for me weather it really helps or not.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:32 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SC_Dave
As I understand it this oil should recalculate with the crankcase oil, maybe so, maybe it doesn't I don't know.
There's no maybe about it. It is definitely circulated through there every second the engine is running.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:41 PM
SC_Dave
Tuned
Originally Posted by Pikachu
There's no maybe about it. It is definitely circulated through there every second the engine is running.
If this is so, is what I did even necessary? Am I just wasting my time to do this?
David

Old 08-15-2015, 02:45 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Not necessary at all, but optional if it makes one feel good .

Old 08-15-2015, 02:50 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes it's a total waste of time.
I did it when I switched my truck over to synthetic oil just to get that extra quart or so of conventional oil out.
The flow chart for this engine has been posted a few times in the past.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:52 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
The internet is Full of useless how to's . Same oil as the engine uses .....

Old 08-15-2015, 02:57 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
It's not a real common procedure, that Powerstrokehelp guy is one of the few proponents. The HPOP oil circulates; out as it is used to fire the injectors and in from the LPOP as needed to refill the reservoir. I don't bother but hey, that's coming from a guy who barely washes his truck twice a year.

Here's that oil flow diagram.

Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2015, 03:17 PM
SC_Dave
Tuned
Well thanks guys, now I know. I really thought I was doing something. I guess the reason it quieted the injectors was the addition of the Prolong oil additive...... Guess it made them slick, but it absolutely got quieter.
David

Old 08-15-2015, 03:44 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by SC_Dave
Just be careful how much stock you put into the vids. While the guy gets some stuff correct, he's almost universally ridiculed on all the diesel forums for his supposed "tech help"

Stewart

Old 08-15-2015, 03:48 PM
SC_Dave
Tuned
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Just be careful how much stock you put into the vids. While the guy gets some stuff correct, he's almost universally ridiculed on all the diesel forums for his supposed "tech help"

Stewart
Ahhh, ok thanks Stewart. I was unaware.
David

Old 08-15-2015, 03:53 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Oh hell, What's life without getting ridiculed once in awhile?

Old 08-15-2015, 05:47 PM
Gatordog
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I changed it also, but I already had a Motive Oil extractor http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/301664843131?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82since my VW has a canister oil filter and you really need to vac the old oil out of the filter housing and oil cooler. I have had this Motive extractor for years and it works great, I did have to replace part of the original suction hose years ago. For some reason they used a hose that did not withstand Oil????

What I will do next time is drain the oil remove the oil filter and then suck whatever oil is left in the HPOP upper housing. That way you are not wasting oil by adding and removing three times. I just changed my oil with Mobil 1 turbo diesel truck, so It will be some time before I change it again. Of course refill the HPOP just like you need to fill the new filter, basic mechanic stuff.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:07 PM
snknby123
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This topic comes up quite a bit over the time I have joined FTE (>2yrs). Is it possible some of these rigs have a clogged delivery to the HPOP reservoir? That could explain the reports of black thick oil and the difference in injector sound post flush. I have seen too many posts like this to blow it off as BS.

I have taken samples from my HPOP reservoir and the oil does not looked trashed (change every 3K), which tells me my oil is getting circulated so I haven't bothered with the procedure.

Just my .02

Quick Reply: Changed the oil in the top of the engine.