Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Help in deciding if 6.9 is right for me

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 12:45 PM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Received 214 Likes on 161 Posts
Help in deciding if 6.9 is right for me

Disclaimer: I don't know anything about diesels, never owned one.
What I think I understand, I learned from reading online.

I found a nice solid f250 (86) with a 6.9 in it with 350k miles.
I need a new vehicle and I'm debating about getting this truck.
It will be a daily driver with most trips being in the 20+/- mile range.
It's my understanding short trips are not good for a diesel but it's older so it might not matter as much? I don't have issues with it idling longer though if I need to get it up to temp.
Some weeks might not see many miles and other weeks more.
I'm hoping it would balance out on the truck?
I don't think there are any records of the work/maintenance done on the truck. (guy bought it from out of state with plans etc etc etc)
If I do go look at it, I planned on taking my ford-trucks punchlist and getting some SCA test strips to check out that part.
I also understand that cavitation isn't as huge of a deal with the 6.9's and with 350k on it, I'd think someone had to put additives into it at one point?

Honestly though for the price they are asking, I don't think there will be any wiggle room anyway.
They claim it starts right up but needs TLC.
I don't need a diesel, don't need another truck but if it is right I can work with it.
The price is right, the condition is right and I need a new primary vehicle.
I just hope the fuel costs don't kill me for the mileage I would get out of the truck. The maintenance costs don't seem too crazy besides the IP.
I looked up the price for one and that was a shocker..
I'm afraid that could be a problem with this engine actually for the price they are selling it at. It's really a steal otherwise I think..

Old 08-06-2015, 04:43 PM
Romel77
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the price is right, condition as well, get it. Check the oil, smell it prior starting. Check the cooling for enough water, any residues of oil as well prior starting.I would not worry much about the IP, just focus on smootheness of the engine running, slowly increase rews and watch for vibrating or hesitation, as it shows bad injectors.But they are common wear item as well. Listen for any abnormal clatter,when started might make a rattle for a minute, that indicates lifters are worn, not a big issue, might be even old dirty thick oil, put the hand right behind the tailpipe and feel if it runs straight at all eight cylinders, listen for misfire and watch for smoke. Let it warm up and go for a ride. Watch the temp, oil pressure. Look beneath the truck at the oil sump, if u see new silicone, I would run away as it indicates someone was doing something under, might be only leak, but everyone says that. Watch for any leaks from the engine, injectors, hoses.If u feel good about all the above get it.. Other stuff is obvious, tranny, shifts good? leaks? axles, brakes, corosion. All the gauges work?
I bought mine and without touching it is capable of 21mpg at 65mph, and it is 4x4.
Maybe somebody suggests something else, this is how I do it. Hope it helps.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:15 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm guessing you're talking 20 mile one-way? I've right now got about an 8-10 mile one-way commute, and mine gets up to temp within 3.
The key here is having a working thermostat. If it's stuck open, you'll just about never get it up to temp. Working right? You'll have heat in the cab after a mile or two.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:27 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,186 Likes on 2,221 Posts
what is their asking price?
what about the trans? a 4 speed manual or C-6 will not get the mileage of a 5 speed or overdrive automatic.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:30 PM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Under 2k and it has the c6 in it. I know the mileage won't be great as a 5 spd by any means.
I may have dragged my feet too long though. Guy has someone coming to look at it and he'll get back to me if it doesn't pan out.
Update: guess the other person didn't come through but I'm off to see it tomorrow and if all goes well drive it home.
Hoping the c6 will give upper teens in mileage.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:08 PM
PlumCrazy7
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
mid-teens should be expected. The IP is drastically cheaper to pumps on any diesel except the 6.2. Should be a good truck for you. Good Luck

Old 08-08-2015, 07:37 PM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Seller completely flaked out.
Beginning to think it's some kind of scam, I tried several times to meet while the BMV office was open so I could get tags and get the truck off the property.
They just kept making excuses and wouldn't set a time to meet.
So the search is on still.
Thanks for the opinions. IDI's seem far and few around here.
I did find a powerstroke with under 100k but not sure if it's a good fit for me.