Bronco II Ford Bronco II

Best Bronco II to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 06:44 PM
jekyll_hyde
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No worries, we are all here to share experiences and such with the community so by all means. Plus I think everyone did great enlightening me on all the big issues and solutions with the BII so I am good I think.

I like how simple/easy it is to access the inside of the hubs on these! Way easier than the full size trucks/broncos. We are going to be checking out the broncos starting tomorrow and hopefully find one that we can agree on for her, ultimately its her money and she can do as she pleases.

Old 10-16-2015, 01:33 PM
AZFX4
Senior User
The 1990 is the closest to the explorer. The 1990 was actually made to have a 4.0 although one was never offered from the factory, its pretty much a plug and play/bolt in deal.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:49 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I built a 1990 and stuffed a 5.0HO in it and changed it from a stick to an auto with a B&M ripper shifter. Went well but the fuel mileage sucked at 15, stock 2.9L was 19-25mpg. James Duff suspension made that thing handle so well it was unreal compared to stock.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:20 PM
jekyll_hyde
Senior User
We are still on the hunt for one. Her sister is getting married in Florida so we may look to get something to bring back home. Either in Florida or on the way down or up! So if any of you guys are seeing this let me know what you find!

Old 06-22-2016, 09:26 PM
jekyll_hyde
Senior User

dash not in terrible shape

passenger side floor in really good shape surprisingly

decent interior since this picture the seats have been removed and power washed currently drying in the shed, they look much better now

driver's side floor is pretty rough

door panels in good shape and all there

some rust around the window the clips rusted off

quarter panels also in great shape

Well the search is finally over we picked up an '84 Bronco II 2.8L 5-speed transmission 4x4 the color I believe is Bright Bittersweet. 92,000 miles it sat in a barn for a long time and I think the barn must have leaked or something because there is a rust hole on the drivers side floorboard and in the back hatch where they typically rust. It was purchased by the PO to turn into a trail rig but ended up being a DD for a high school kid and they did a lot of things the cheater way.

Distributor shaft O-ring was leaking so instead of pulling it out they tried dripping RTV over the part where they shaft goes into the back of the block and the vacuum canister rusted out and they took out all the vacuum lines and attached what they think needs to be hooked up and capped the rest of it. It idles between 1200 and 1800 RPM we got it to where it idles well for a little then slowly creeps up in the high range.

Anyways enough of me talking, on to the pictures.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:39 PM
fletchb
Freshman User
I first saw your thread about a week or so ago (just bought a Ranger) and last weekend, about 2 miles from my house there goes a BII that looked literally brand new. Looked like a later model and it had a BII cover on the spare tire on the back. It was so clean it looked like it came out of a 80's time machine.

I have not seen a BII in about 15 years till last weekend...nice to know there are still some out there.

Good luck with your restore..

Old 06-26-2016, 11:02 PM
jekyll_hyde
Senior User
Hey thanks this one probably won't look nearly as good as the one you saw but it will be one of the cleaner ones especially where I am from. I am looking forward to getting the new carpet and the interior back in! Next up is lift and tires. Maybe a rear disc swap.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:10 AM
jekyll_hyde
Senior User
Well after having the vehicle for a few weeks there are several projects we were able to tackle and improve upon, we stumbled upon a good deal on some wheel/tires off a 98 Wrangler 31x10.5R15 all terrain tires. They would not fit in stock form so we purchased an add-a-leaf for the rear,and coil spacers in the front. Also did a rear disc brake swap with parts from an 02 Mustang GT was able to pick up everything for that for $60 on craigslist. Had to purchase a new caliper bracket on one side but everything else went smoothly! Fixed the main leak due to bad o-ring on the distributor, I think we have a rear main seal leak though! Changed the diff fluids replaced the carpet patched the floorboards, painted the bumpers, shined up the wheels and are in the process of redoing the headliner to a custom pattern she chose!

The only things left to do now are to adjust the camber, and find that elusive triangle bracket or the emergency brake and it will be on the road full time. We are planning to do some body work around the quarter panels and elsewhere that rust has tackled then go over with some 3M undercoating or rocker panel guard then spray it to match the paint but just along that lip that goes the length of the body. Enough blabbering here are some pictures.

I think we are going to go with a fold down RV carrier that we will attach to the bumper and that way it will not have to mount to the fiberglass hatch at all and put a spring behind the fold down part to keep rattling and movement down to a minimum.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:58 PM
powrstrkr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Glad you found one in fairly good shape and having fun working on it. What happened to the 5L one you were considering when you started this thread?

Not many of them out there anymore. I just louvred the hood on my 86.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:10 PM
jekyll_hyde
Senior User
Thank you we are in the process of fixing some of the paint and doing body work on areas that need to be addressed before winter comes. The 5.0 was a little out of what we were looking to spend and the guy would not budge at all on the price so we let it go. Seemed like a good truck and he seemed to have done the swap correctly. But this is nicer because #1 awesome paint and #2 we are doing the work ourselves which is always better than buying something already done in my opinion.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:09 PM
jekyll_hyde
Senior User

Got some more pictures of the truck after we painted the wheels!

You can see the slight bit of camber that needs to be adjusted still we put in 2.5 degree bushings but they were not enough to completely correct the camber

No windshield in it!

Old 08-23-2016, 04:18 PM
Josh S
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad you're keeping us posted and it's nice to see somebody taking such an interest in the old B2's. Keep up the good work!

Old 08-23-2016, 10:22 PM
jekyll_hyde
Senior User
Yeah there doesn't seem to be much interest at all on any forum I'm on in the B2 but it gives me something to do I guess, it's more of a project for her but I end up doing most of the work on it for now, and she likes taking pictures so here I am. I have noticed a rear main seal leak that gets pretty bad after highway driving. I am going to have to replace it, seems like 1/8 qt of oil out of the truck after we drive it.