New Member Introductions New to FTE? Introduce yourself here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lack of torque and power? Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 06:22 PM
Nathanml182
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lack of torque and power? Transmission?

Hi, I have a 1996 4x4 f-150 351 5.8 V8. E40d transmission.
truck starts fine, idles fine, sounds fine, but when going on to On ramps or areas I need to step on it, it down gears but doesn't pull hard, Rpms increase by a thousand and slowly make their way up and doesn't up shift until I let off the throttle a little bit, once I get to speed on the freeway no problems runs great until I need to step on it again, no pull, and when it does shift it's a little hard. No check engine light no codes, good compression/spark it doesn't misfire at all, I checked ATF fluid, looks good doesn't smell burnt or anything, it's just almost like the gears are slipping when I need the torque, if I'm driving slow it shifts by itself and everything's fine, but when I step on it or climb a hill theirs no power, doesn't shift until I let off the throttle. No whirling sounds clunks or shakes. My guess's are either the torque converter, or the shift modulator, any advice or help would be much appreciated!!

Old 07-31-2015, 07:48 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
What's a shift modulator? I've never heard of that.

I think your problem is the engine is down on power. Get that fixed and you'll find the transmission, torque converter, and shift modulator are fine.