Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Early99 K&N to AIS

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 05:44 PM
Thomas White
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Figures, I leave for a weekend. Wow!

The AIS "The new Motorcraft 7.3L AIS (Air Induction System) Severe Duty Kit" was a Joint Venture between both Ford-Donaldson-Equipment. But NOT specifically for the 7.3, or any other motor.

However, FOMOCO and Donaldson recognized the profitability of these systems in the private sector. So, they retrofit all F-250-F550 Super Duty trucks and Excursions built after Jan. 1, 1998 (some 1998 and Early 99's require a different air intake hose).

"Ford is the first to bring this off-highway technology to the diesel pickup truck market". Well, not really. This Media was developed for our troops in the Middle East because all our equipment was being strafed by sand.

In fact, the 7.3L AIS Severe Duty Kit has the same "filter technology" used in the M1 Abrams tank? That is probably true. R&D Found the Blue DRY Filter Material to be far superior and last two-three times longer before maintenance intervals in the field. In fact, several High-End Race Car Companies as well as other manufacturers have been using it since its development at the turn of the century (that was neat to write).

The Blue Filter Material and the way it is assembled is the most superior, breathable filtration for harsh environments today.... Bar None.

Shake them out a few times a year. I just changed mine in July after 4 years! Just under 20% restriction.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:23 PM
kbarbee95
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carguy3j
Also, I've read the 6637 is very loud. My truck is loud enough as it is.
I don't really think its loud, I can't hear it with the ac on max/high. It's more of a sshhhhhhh I don't hear any whistle, but maybe since you have the WW2 you will be able to I'm not sure on that part.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:36 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Here's the oiled S&B: [LINK]

The only thing I'm wondering on the new design is how the neck is removed to access the valve covers.

The 38R might have stomped on the camel's back, but I was on the verge with the AIS when I just had tuning, stock sticks, and stock turbo. I had to use a stock filter minder to install in the AIS housing, the AIS version filter minder didn't let me get very far without nagging me.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:08 AM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe I could buy just the filter ($55), and make my own CAI/housing/ducts? I think I could do it for far less then the $245 price difference for the full kit. In addition, I could customize it to make filter removal and valve cover access easier.

I am concerned about something though. According to the website, S&B rates the filter at 99.47% effeciency ( with the dry slightly better, with silghtly less flow). HOWEVER, this is with ISO COARSE test dust, instead of the "proper" industry standard mix of fine and coarse dust. The well known filter test, that everybody refers to, warns about this; as a dirty trick some filter companies use to inflate their filter effeciency numbers.
I wonder how well these filters would do in a proper test? Are the S&B filters really any better then K&N, AFE, Spectre, etc.... ( speaking about the filter itself, without considering any housing/duct)?

Old 08-05-2015, 10:35 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Now that I have actually towed with the AIS I would say it is a alittle less noise than the stock air box with K&N. Now comparing the AIS and K&N as far as flow by my boost #'s are about the same when comparing new AIS to a clean K&N. So I can see where once you go with 38R and bigger sticks that you would need more air.

So I see many of you guys like the S&B but from what I have seen and heard the S&B is NOT as quite as a AIS even on a truck with stock turbo / sticks. Now I have only once seen first hand the new Bank's air box and it is a very nice unit and I would say it is as quite as a AIS. And from what I have read the S&B and the new Banks are at the top of list on flow #'s. How true that is I can't say since I read it on the interweb.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:26 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
The S&B is not as quiet as the AIS, and you might have to open up a fresh Buck$Zooka clip to find a unit that matches/exceeds the AIS noise level and performance. If the Banks unit is as quiet as the AIS, I'm curious about the longevity of the filter media and the flow numbers.

As for flow numbers on the S&B, I consulted with Clay (whom I trust) - and the boost/backpressure gauges after I bought it. My turbo lets me know when I've exceeded the life of the filter - about 10,000 miles each time. The AIS lasted 20,000 miles when I had that on a chipped/stock Stinky.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:35 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Tugly
The S&B is not as quiet as the AIS, and you might have to open up a fresh Buck$Zooka clip to find a unit that matches/exceeds the AIS noise level and performance. If the Banks unit is as quiet as the AIS, I'm curious about the longevity of the filter media and the flow numbers.

As for flow numbers on the S&B, I consulted with Clay (whom I trust) - and the boost/backpressure gauges after I bought it. My turbo lets me know when I've exceeded the life of the filter - about 10,000 miles each time. The AIS lasted 20,000 miles when I had that on a chipped/stock Stinky.
Now I have made the statement that the Banks was as quiet as the AIS but that was based on recall from driving in the truck a couple of times within the last year. But what I really need to do to back up that statement now that I actually have the AIS installed is next time I see this local buddy is do a side by side test for noise levels. It will still be a little uneven since he is running a different wheel and has tunes where I am currently running stock WW and stock tunes.

Now as far as filters in the Banks you have different choices which you can see in the ad. Also from seeing for myself the Banks also fits the truck like a factory piece. But I don't see any flow #'s just intake density % and what were temps...so on Personally all of these companies only show or give you 1/2 the facts one needs to see which one actually out preforms the other. One sells you on flow #'s the other on intake density ??? I guess it is all about marketing and selling units.
Banks Power | 99-03 Ford - 7.3L Power Stroke>>Banks Ram-Air® Intake System

But now that I have the AIS I am glad you and other FTE brothers did alot of leg work on the AIS you guy sold me! And I am very pleased with it.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:57 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I loved my AIS, I hated to part with it.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:57 AM
Thomas White
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
03' Turbo, 9k mi with K&N air filter

Old 09-18-2015, 02:16 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well figured I may be out of luck as the AIS seems to be for trucks after Jan 1 of 98, mine says 06/98 so just to make sure I am not reading the decal incorrectly does this mean (see signature for Born date) Im SOL or ok to go a head with the AIS kit?? for $300 im about to drop I want to get this right the first time through...

Thanks!!!

Old 09-18-2015, 02:24 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
Jan comes before June...just sayin' lol

or put it another way 6/98 comes after 1/98

Old 09-18-2015, 02:32 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ok just was checking as I don't usually read these build dates LOL...

these are the two im looking at, but don't see any difference between the two???? They look identical to me....

(This says built after 12/07/98)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcraft-FA1759-Ford-7-3-Power-Stroke-AIS-Severe-Duty-Air-Filter-Kit-/351497154794?hash=item51d6dcf0ea&vxp=mtr

(This one says after Jan, 1 98)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SEVERE-DUTY-AIR-CLEANER-1999-2003-FORD-F-SERIES-EXCURSION-2U2Z-9K635-AA-/141690744614?hash=item20fd6d2f26&vxp=mtr

Old 09-18-2015, 05:34 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Those stock AIS ford made suck.
We had a fleet truck with one and that thing starved for air even with new filter on, the gauge thing on the filter housing was always getting triped and the truck was always smoking, it even damaged the exducer wheel from high egts thanks to that stupid excuse of a filter.
Just check the melted fins

It 6637 or nothing all our 7.3 trucks run them now

Old 09-19-2015, 09:37 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Jaime74656
well figured I may be out of luck as the AIS seems to be for trucks after Jan 1 of 98, mine says 06/98 so just to make sure I am not reading the decal incorrectly does this mean (see signature for Born date) Im SOL or ok to go a head with the AIS kit?? for $300 im about to drop I want to get this right the first time through...

Thanks!!!
On a E99 all you need is the standard AIS and a Late99-03 (black) intake tube. The one that goes from the airbox to the CCV intake housing.

That is what I did and I love my AIS.

Originally Posted by z31freakify
Those stock AIS ford made suck.
We had a fleet truck with one and that thing starved for air even with new filter on, the gauge thing on the filter housing was always getting triped and the truck was always smoking, it even damaged the exducer wheel from high egts thanks to that stupid excuse of a filter.
Just check the melted fins

It 6637 or nothing all our 7.3 trucks run them now
I hate to say this but you are "Wrong" on a couple different points. But I do respect the fact that you are entitled to believe what you want.

First of all the AIS system has a proven track record and installed correctly and have a good filter they will work great on a stock truck.

Now you are correct about the filter reminder but if you use the OEM one instead there is no issue.

Now by the photo you posted I can NOT see how you are blaming the AIS for that?????
The photo of the turbine wheel tells me you had a EGT issue and that maybe something got eaten on the exhaust side.
The turbine wheel has nothing to do with the intake side.

I just want to go on the record of what I think to hopefully not mislead someone. But then again I could be wrong?

Old 09-19-2015, 10:25 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
These trucks get worked hard, and in fact it was the AIS with oem air filter in it, as mention on my other post, it sure was root cause was high egts and the distruction of the wheel, in sever conditions like pulling at the illegal limits on the truck. There was no way something got past the exhaust side if so that engine would of granaded. The blades are actualy MELTED! Not damaged by a foreign object
Ps I rebuild the turbo and installed the ais for a day of pulling, driver said it was better but still smoking like crap, replaced the AIS with 6637 no comparison, driver said no smoke and more powa .truck is completely stock including the kitty.

Quick Reply: Early99 K&N to AIS