1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Sagging rear springs on 95 conversion van

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 01:47 AM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
Sagging rear springs on 95 conversion van

Here's my problem. I will be selling this van in the future but for now I am using it and I need to fix the sagging rear end. The leaf springs are weak and it sags noticeably. It also needs shocks all the way around..,
i am looking at monroe max air shocks or monroe Load Adjusting with the outer spring..,

Which would you go with?

I also have a set of helper springs that came off of a 78 e100 i could add...

Old 07-24-2015, 02:05 AM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
let me clarify this is not my ford van, its a 95 gmc vandura

Old 07-24-2015, 02:24 AM
voodoolord
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you thought about air bags? That might be a cheap alternative.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:27 AM
richter roxs
Senior User
install new springs or dont bother as the next owner will be installing new springs. I know you don't want to dump money into a vehicle that you are selling but most conversion vans were undersprung from the start.

If the van is in decent shape you should recoup the money for the springs back , if not sell as is. just my two cents

Old 07-24-2015, 03:18 PM
tabijan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 163 Likes on 153 Posts
Sensa-Trac coil over shocks did little to help the tired springs in our '93 E150. If you don't have a reputation or conscience, lifting blocks and longer u-bolts might mask the problem from a prospective buyer.

Sixto
93 E150 E150 Chateau 5.8 191K miles

Old 07-24-2015, 08:02 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by richter roxs
install new springs or dont bother as the next owner will be installing new springs. I know you don't want to dump money into a vehicle that you are selling but most conversion vans were undersprung from the start.

If the van is in decent shape you should recoup the money for the springs back , if not sell as is. just my two cents
I'll agree with that statement ^

Any "upgrades" that you do, will help with the re-sale.

As another option........Check out Timbren's .......Home - Timbren Industries Inc. Suspension Products

I installed these on my E350 cube van nearly 2 years ago, and have no problems with rear sag (that was there) and carrying that extra 2500# on occasion......

Old 07-25-2015, 02:50 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
When I say going to sell it, I am not talking about trying to recup money, I couldn’t have done that the day after I bought it! I have learned allot about vans since then (thanks to you guys here)! I was thinking about selling it for scrap or maybe someone would give $1000 for it that knew how to work on it..
I am just trying to do what needs to be done to safely drive it till I get my e150 on the road. Right now if you go over a speed bump in a parking lot, you better go slow or it will bottom out, front end or rear end, so I know it needs shocks. That is why I was thinking about the ones with the Sensa-Trac coil over shocks or air shocks.

On the bright side the transmission seems to be in great shape and the AC works! I do like the wood work on the interior and the seats are in pretty good shape. I thought about stripping out some of the interior, like the lighting to put in the E150. I am not sure what to do with it actually... If I need to spend a grand on it I would rather put that money into the e150

Not to many people want old 10mpg conversion van so maybe it would sell better stripped out and sold as a work van?

BTW the Timbren's look interesting and easy to install and cheaper then air bags.. BUT if I understand correctly you can adjust thew height with the air bags..

Old 07-25-2015, 06:38 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
[QUOTE=annaleigh;15526426

BTW the Timbren's look interesting and easy to install and cheaper then air bags.. BUT if I understand correctly you can adjust thew height with the air bags..[/QUOTE]

Correct, you can adjust the height with air bags.

I did the "Add 2 leafs" on my old cube van, it picked up the rear end, kept the front end on the road, stopped the body roll, but gave me a very stiff ride.

With this cube van, I oped out to go with the Timbren's, and it did the same thing as the "add a leaf", plus it was $250 less, and NO stiff ride.
Plus, I don't have to worry about adding air, letting air pressure out, or whatever.

The worst problem I had with installing the Timbren's was getting the old bump stops off, I ended up torching the stud/nut off because of the rust.

I also see you point on not spending too much on the van, as you have a replacement in the works, guest the point is, what van do you want to invest the time and $$ in to for a daily drive??

Old 07-25-2015, 08:28 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
well there are good and bad points to both vans. The GMC Vandura is a Cobra conversion with all wood trim and those lights on the sides and center along with the power windows, door locks, drivers seat, mirrors, 4 plush captain chairs, and queen size power rear seat.
350 engine with 144,000 and gets 10mpg

The E150 is more nostalgic you might say with manual windows, locks, mirrors, and seats. Has aluminum mini blinds with sliding curtains, lighted valances over the windows, and those chrome swivel lights with a black grill over the front of them spread throughout the van. Oh then the stock CB radio... Low back cloth seats with arm rests and that little cabinet behind the back seat for the TV and most of all the beer cooler~! And If you are sitting outside at the back doors, that built in beer cooler has a little flip up shelf with 2 beer holders built in. That way you can back up to the lake, sit in a chair, fish, and not spill your beer when you tumble over catching that big one that gets away!
Besides all that it is 30 years old and doesn’t need emissions. And the 302 AOD gets about 18mpg on the highway....
And then I am partial to Fords anyway...
The 302 is a bit slow but the 350 in the heavier van is about the same...
I have back and hip problems and one day I might need to convert one to a handy cap van so which ever one I fix up I want it to do it right so it wont need much more then maintenance in the future. Thats another plus for the e150 I converted to a DSII ignition...

SO with the Timbren's , they would raise the van back up to a point and stop it from bottoming out without adding a leaf or changing the springs?

Old 07-26-2015, 08:04 PM
wirelessengineer
More Turbo
Shock absorbers do not carry weight. That's not what they're for. They dampen oscillation. Unless, of course, you fall for the "adjustable air shock" garbage. Look at where your shocks are mounted - that area is NOT intended to support the weight of the vehicle.

If you have sagging springs, you need something to carry the weight. That means new springs, air bags, or spring helpers such as coil or leaf type.

If it's a temporary thing, you can get by with leaf helpers like these. They might take you all of 20 minutes to install, and they will do quite a bit for you. I would not consider them a long-term solution.