Oil & Lubrication  

Benefits of Synthetic Motor Oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 09:00 AM
redvet
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An interesting read for some on the board.

http://classicbroncos.com/syntheticoils.shtml

Old 07-31-2003, 07:39 PM
Flash
Posting Guru

Hey Joe, you have stayed away too long my friend. The link you provided is the biggest crock of crap I've read in a while. Amzoil was not the first synthetic oil produced and the rest is absolute nonsense. Some of their claims are just bald faced lies. But did you notice that 2 of the board sponsors are Redline dealers? Anyway, don't stay away so long and by the way, where is that analysis you were going to post after the last Amzoil analysis?

Old 07-31-2003, 10:08 PM
redvet
Senior User

Originally posted by Flash
Hey Joe, you have stayed away too long my friend. The link you provided is the biggest crock of crap I've read in a while. Amzoil was not the first synthetic oil produced and the rest is absolute nonsense. Some of their claims are just bald faced lies. But did you notice that 2 of the board sponsors are Redline dealers? Anyway, don't stay away so long and by the way, where is that analysis you were going to post after the last Amzoil analysis?

I thought you'd love that site,Flash!
BTW
I posted my oil analysis from BlackStone Labs.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...hreadid=112221

You even broke it down for me.

I switching from Amsoil to Mobil 1.No real reason other than availabilty.Even though I can get it at a speed shop 9 miles away from me.
Just don't think there's any difference between the two.

Old 08-01-2003, 01:07 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read the info......
Uh....I guess you could say I'm not overly impressed with the objectivity (or lack thereof).
I'd say "propoganda" is the word that comes to mind, but perhaps that is too strong. How about "unimpressive"?

Old 08-01-2003, 05:47 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, that URL was full of BS!!!!

Old 08-01-2003, 06:07 AM
DOHC
Senior User

Originally posted by redvet
I thought you'd love that site,Flash!
BTW
I posted my oil analysis from BlackStone Labs.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...hreadid=112221

You even broke it down for me.

I looked at your report. The Moly was either residual from the previous oil or ring wear no if and or butts because the Amsoil does not use it as a barrier additive in formulation.

I think there is some major differences between the two oils. The Mobil is readily available and priced right .It is a API oil if under warranty should a problem arise. Also some have forgotten the lost art if you will of changing grades for the seasons. The Mobil 0/40 would be an excellent choice for summer driving with the 5.4 motor and a good all season oil in all but the coldest of climates. It has a high HTHS rating,has a A3 rating and has recently aquired the ILSAC GF-3 EC rating > a dang good motor oil from Mobil there imo of course

Now away !

Old 08-01-2003, 11:07 AM
redvet
Senior User

Originally posted by DOHC
I looked at your report. The Moly was either residual from the previous oil or ring wear no if and or butts because the Amsoil does not use it as a barrier additive in formulation.

I think there is some major differences between the two oils. The Mobil is readily available and priced right .It is a API oil if under warranty should a problem arise. Also some have forgotten the lost art if you will of changing grades for the seasons. The Mobil 0/40 would be an excellent choice for summer driving with the 5.4 motor and a good all season oil in all but the coldest of climates. It has a high HTHS rating,has a A3 rating and has recently aquired the ILSAC GF-3 EC rating > a dang good motor oil from Mobil there imo of course

Now away !

0/40?
I haven't seen that weight around though I haven't been in the market for oil.
I won 6 qts case of 5w30 Mobil 1 door prize at a car show I entered with my classic car.
You have me thinking about that 0w40 Mobil 1.
How I got on Amsoil products.
I had a problem with the rebuild of my '69 vette's rear.The posi clutches were going dry with regular GM fluid and additive.Long story on the 4th generation GM posi clutches.
Someone suggested using Amsoil rear fluid and my chatter problem was gone immediately and has been fine for a couple of years.Mobil 1 synthetic diff fluid probably would have done the same.
So with this I was so happy I used Amsoil products from then on.

Old 08-09-2003, 12:53 AM
PRIME 1
New User

in the 70's Mobile1 and Amsoil bought synthetics from drew chemical

also amsoil has a 5-20,5-30,10-30'10-40 that are api certified 3.55 a quart

Last edited by PRIME 1; 08-09-2003 at 01:05 AM.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:52 AM
DOHC
Senior User

Originally posted by PRIME 1

also amsoil has a 5-20,5-30,10-30'10-40 that are api certified 3.55 a quart
FWIW those are all Group III motor oils .

Old 08-10-2003, 01:17 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by PRIME 1
in the 70's Mobile1 and Amsoil bought synthetics from drew chemiical.
Mobil has always made thier own PAO base stocks and sell them to others. Where did you hear that they bought them? Amsoil is a blender-packager so of course they do.

Jim

Old 08-11-2003, 03:16 AM
PRIME 1
New User

sorry guys I should have edited what I wrote right away but I wrote it while at work and could not change it afterwards. you are right jimandmandy M1 have allways made their own oil. I think what I was trying to say was, I thought amsoil and M1 were based on the same technology from Drew chemical in the 50's not 70's and DOCH your right they are groupIII's, some call them synthetic and some call them semi-synthetic and if your like me they should not be called synthetic at all, but its not our call. Here's some history for you guys I may have some of it mixed up but its all I could think of at the time.

1877, the first synthesized hydrocarbons were created by Friedel and Crafts using aluminum trichloride as the catalyst. The process wasn't commercialized until 1929 when Standard oil of Indiana produced a synthesized hydrocarbon oil
Then in 1937, PAO was manufactured. That was the first manufacture of synthetic products by olef in polymerization. It was also this year that Zurich Aviation congress took interest in ester based lubricant technology. Thousands of esters were evaluated in Germany between 1938 and 1944 yielding positive results. These ester based stocks were developed by the United States Naval Research Laboratory in the early 1940s.

At this point in history, synthetic lubricants were strictly used in military and industrial applications. Before synthetics were created, "Engines were lubricated with whatever was handy that might work. Among the concoctions tried were vegetable oils made from castor beans and rape-seed, and what is now called mineral oil" (Flying, January 1992).

By 1947, the British were using diesters, a compound using two ester groupings, in turboprop engines because of its extreme temperature performance. From then until the mid-1070s, various synthetic formulations were developed to meet the high demands of the increasingly sophisticated engines in planes and other industrial machines.

Chemist Lefty Ward of Drew Chemical Corporation in Boonton, New Jersey, where the first polyol esters had been developed and patented in conjunction with Mobil Chemical in 1958. Mobil Oil's Jet Engine Oil II was based on the fluids produced at Drew Chemical
(Amatuzio-oil) was created and became the first 100% synthetic diester based engine oil to pass the API sequence tests and receive API qualification in 1972.

The following year Mobil Oil began marketing the first PAO based engine oil overseas and in 1975 they began test marketing a synthetic PAO based synthetic in the U.S. called Mobil 1.