Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Line Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 04:48 PM
1vannn
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Line Replacement

So I have an interesting problem, I just got my truck running (1996 Ford F-150 XLT Ext. Cab) and I'm running brake lines. So far I've got the line from the master brake cylinder all the way back to the area in which the line should go. I assume the previous owner broke the brake line off rather than taking it off properly. There's still a bit of screw with a nut on it which I cant for the life of me get off. I'm thinking about taking the bed off so I can get better access to it because currently you have to have your head between the axle, muffler, and front fuel tank to get some form of access to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:38 PM
bb65f1004x4
Senior User
I try to give attention to posts with zero or inadequate responses but yours is a little confusing. If you have routing questions and an existing line is there it sounds like you need to take some things off. If you physically cannot get to where you need to to mimic the route thats there, please expand. Reviving old vehicles is not for the lazy ( i am not call in you lazy). I am not trying to be condescending but please be specific in exactly what you are trying to remove if there are issues. You may want to clarify the whole "fuel line issue" then starting to talk about break line. Either way, I know some guys on here are using an online translator so I don't judge. The common interest is Ford trucks!

Old 08-02-2015, 10:14 PM
1vannn
New User
Originally Posted by bb65f1004x4
I try to give attention to posts with zero or inadequate responses but yours is a little confusing. If you have routing questions and an existing line is there it sounds like you need to take some things off. If you physically cannot get to where you need to to mimic the route thats there, please expand. Reviving old vehicles is not for the lazy ( i am not call in you lazy). I am not trying to be condescending but please be specific in exactly what you are trying to remove if there are issues. You may want to clarify the whole "fuel line issue" then starting to talk about break line. Either way, I know some guys on here are using an online translator so I don't judge. The common interest is Ford trucks!
Sorry for the vague post, my mistake, alright, after getting another full day's work under the truck, I think my best decision is to remove the brake lines going from each wheel to the junction box, I've already disconnected the junction box from the axle, but how could I remove the rusted lines on the wheels?

Edit: Oh dear, I said fuel line in the title :$ Whoops

Old 08-03-2015, 05:25 AM
mtcox
Junior User
Brake Lines

The brake lines should run from the vent tube, along the axle to the back of each wheel and to the wheel cylinders. The lines may be clipped or fastened to the axle and removed by simply manipulating the line. This will be a lot easier once you unscrew the line from the wheel cylinder.

Removing the bed will make this process a lot easier, but it's not for the faint of heart. It's not a difficult task, but plan on checking a few other items while the bed is off the truck. My fuel tanks were ready for replacement along with brake lines and fuel strainers. (Fuel pumps and valves are notorious for going bad on this vintage, too.) If there is a lot of rust on the frame and other components, this is the time to grind it off and repaint the steel. The bed bolts will probably snap off along with a few other fasteners. You'll need three other friends or a pulley system to lift the bed from the frame. Once you have the bed off the truck, you may find a few other projects.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:08 PM
1vannn
New User
Originally Posted by mtcox
The brake lines should run from the vent tube, along the axle to the back of each wheel and to the wheel cylinders. The lines may be clipped or fastened to the axle and removed by simply manipulating the line. This will be a lot easier once you unscrew the line from the wheel cylinder.

Removing the bed will make this process a lot easier, but it's not for the faint of heart. It's not a difficult task, but plan on checking a few other items while the bed is off the truck. My fuel tanks were ready for replacement along with brake lines and fuel strainers. (Fuel pumps and valves are notorious for going bad on this vintage, too.) If there is a lot of rust on the frame and other components, this is the time to grind it off and repaint the steel. The bed bolts will probably snap off along with a few other fasteners. You'll need three other friends or a pulley system to lift the bed from the frame. Once you have the bed off the truck, you may find a few other projects.
How might I do about removing the lines from the wheel cylinders when that is rusty as well?

Old 08-03-2015, 01:54 PM
mtcox
Junior User
Brake Lines

Removing the brake lines from the wheel cylinder is best done with a line wrench. However, based on the difficulty you're having, it may be best to start with new or rebuilt wheel cylinders. As I said in the previous post, plan on bolts and other fasteners to break. PB Blaster and heat from a propane or MAPP gas torch will help you along the way. (Take care when using a torch in and around gas tanks.) What kind of experience do you have working on vehicles? It will help to know your level of expertise when advising you on particular jobs and/or tools.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:51 PM
1vannn
New User
Originally Posted by mtcox
Removing the brake lines from the wheel cylinder is best done with a line wrench. However, based on the difficulty you're having, it may be best to start with new or rebuilt wheel cylinders. As I said in the previous post, plan on bolts and other fasteners to break. PB Blaster and heat from a propane or MAPP gas torch will help you along the way. (Take care when using a torch in and around gas tanks.) What kind of experience do you have working on vehicles? It will help to know your level of expertise when advising you on particular jobs and/or tools.
Little to none, but I've got a friend who is much more experienced.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:29 AM
mtcox
Junior User
Experience

Good for you! The best way to learn is to dive in and tackle the job. Read the book, search online and use FTE liberally. Your buddy ought to be a great help, too. I've often hesitated when starting a new job, but in the end, I've learned a lot. Good luck.