6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Talk about sticker shock:::::

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 09:06 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Talk about sticker shock:::::

I'm in Santa fe. Just coming up 20K miles so I thought I'd stop by Ford and get the fuel filters changed. I have some miles left before the oils due but thought I'd get it all done and not have to bother with it again until I get home. So I go to the Express service guy and ask the price to change oil, oil filter and fuel filters. He punches on the calculator looks me in the eye and with a straight face says "we'll top off the DEF too, for 390 dollars".

I guess maybe I've been doing my own too long but that seemed outrages so I ask how much if you don't top off the DEF, I just filled it. So he punches the buttons again and looks right at me and says "365 dollars". Now I'm doing some arithmetic in my head and first of all $35 to "top off" DEF seems crazy to me. Secondly, I figure at retail as a stranger I can get the oil and filters for $160 leaving $200 labor for a half hours work, an hour at most. So, I pass. I'll buy a filter kit and change the fuel filters myself and get an oil change at wallyworld when I need one. Is this price typical or the result of a town with only one ford dealer; at least I can only find one.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:13 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
I think at the local dealer here, a synthetic blend oil change is $160 with filter. Full synthetic with filter probably what they priced you with the $390. I believe the local dealer charges about 411 a quart for synthetic and $4 a quart for synthetic blend.

I am glad Ford gave me a prem care package when I got my truck. It is oil changes with filters for oil and fuel and other minor items like wipers for 9 changes over a 3 year/45,000 mile. I did have to pay an extra $360 for up to 9 oil changes in three years of full synthetic oil.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:08 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
$365 sounds about right for fuel filter change and oil change. I thought fuel filters were just under $200 and oil is $125 with tire rotation. Add some tax too.

Anyone ever get a great deal in the service department at a dealership? Of course you can do it cheaper yourself. This should not be new news to anyone with any life experience. I have no issue with the cost and have my dealer do all service. I lack enthusiasm, desire, time, and some skill to do the work. I do encourage others to work on their trucks though. Have fun with it. Take a few pictures and report back here.

Bruce

Old 07-03-2015, 01:35 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Usually I like to do it myself, because it only costs $70 - $90 for a full synthetic ow-40w oil change. The deal is usually $90 for the regular 10w-30w FoMoCo oil.

$35 to top of the DEF... WOW. My dealer sent a coupon for a regular diesel oil change and DEF top off for $90.

I have seen regular oil changes for $249 - $300... Fuel filters are not cheap either. I have gotten some fuel filter change quotes in the $300... YEP, just for the fuel filters... And the again there are other dealers that want you to come in for the routine maintenance and don't charge you as much...

Old 07-03-2015, 02:04 AM
Icthus in AK
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I order Rotella T6 severe duty diesel oil for $17/gal and FoMoCo filters from Amazon Prime--delivered to my door free shipping. Takes maybe an hour start to finish to change the oil and also check the rail fuel filter.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:40 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
That is some big bucks.

I guess I have been doing my own too long as well.

No way I'd pay that price.

I have the ez drain on mine so dumping the oil is quite easy.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:59 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I need to get my father to read this thread. Doing oil changes approx. every 6 weeks and fuel filters 12 weeks, I've saved our little business more than a little bit of money.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:31 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
IMHO, dealerships are brick and mortor operations with taxes and salaries to be paid on top of some profit. If you do your own work as I do great, if not then you pay. If you broke their cost of operation they are probably not making a killing. Convenience is not free.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:52 AM
rob17
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
I guess maybe I've been doing my own too long but that seemed outrages so I ask how much if you don't top off the DEF, I just filled it. So he punches the buttons again and looks right at me and says "365 dollars".
Yikes!

The last time I had my fuel filters changed AND a LOF at the dealer it was $257 out the door.

Rob

Old 07-03-2015, 10:33 AM
lwk362393
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had the same issues, >$350 for an oil change and fuel filters. Also made the mistake of asking them to fill the DEF. Dealerships I've gone to in the past have done that for free, so I thought this one would too. I was wrong. That alone was like $50. Definitely doing my own filters and oil every time from now on.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:21 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
I need to get my father to read this thread. Doing oil changes approx. every 6 weeks and fuel filters 12 weeks, I've saved our little business more than a little bit of money.
You need a raise Joel

Originally Posted by 69cj
IMHO, dealerships are brick and mortor operations with taxes and salaries to be paid on top of some profit. If you do your own work as I do great, if not then you pay. If you broke their cost of operation they are probably not making a killing. Convenience is not free.
Agreed, there is some overhead there. At the end of the day if they cold not make money they would not be there.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:34 PM
tony montana 42
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My local dealer changed my fuel filters for 110.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:26 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Here is the other side of DIY. I bought the fuel filters this AM. Going to change them right here in the RV park. $137 from the same dealer. So I start to remove the rail filter housing and I'm jammed under the truck a bit. At some point I hit the little gray WIF connector that snaps into the housing and it breaks off a little piece of the housing. Oh Chit, what now. I abandon my plan to change the filters and begin to figure out how I'll keep the truck running to get a new housing. A close examination reveals that there is no place cracked that should leak so I reinstall the WIF connector and secure it with electrical tape. Test drove and all seemed OK but I still want to get it repaired. AT THIS POINT I AM REGRETTING NOT HAVING THE DEALER DO THE WORK. As you might figure there is no part to be had in Santa fe so I try Albuquerque and no luck there but computer says there is one in Gallup. I call Gallup and they have set it aside for me to pick up Tuesday (I was going through there anyway). Now the part is $65 so I'm up to a little over 200 buckeroos. But look at the education I'm getting. BTW, when I was talking to Albuquerque they though I wanted fuel filters and quoted me $117. I think the price difference is because the dealer here has a monopoly as the only dealer in town . At home I have three dealers within 10 miles or so in each direction. That holds the price down. I'm pretty sure I paid around 85 bucks for the same fuel filters when I did the 10,000 mile change.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:40 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Stanley, I bought an entire setup, filter housing, WIF sensor and drain plug for around $45 at the dealer. Here is a link to one of the housings for around $18...
[BC3Z-9G270-C]Ford fuel cap for lower fuel filter for Motorcraft FD-4615-Ford 6.7 liter diesel

Old 07-03-2015, 08:30 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by golfmedik
Stanley, I bought an entire setup, filter housing, WIF sensor and drain plug for around $45 at the dealer. Here is a link to one of the housings for around $18...
[BC3Z-9G270-C]Ford fuel cap for lower fuel filter for Motorcraft FD-4615-Ford 6.7 liter diesel
Hi Monty, thanks, I'll bookmark that for later. I'm gonna buy the one in Gallup and hopefully install it Tuesday evening. Everything seems OK but I'd sure hate to have a water event and my warranty be voided because of my "Jed Clampet" repair.

Quick Reply: Talk about sticker shock:::::