General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

I guess it is rocket science

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 10:38 PM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
I guess it is rocket science

The SpaceX Launch went very badly today in case you haven't heard -- exploded about 2 minutes after liftoff.

Another private firm had an explosion on its last launch.

The Russians have had a few lately. The head of the Russian version of NASA was replaced a year or so ago, but they're still having issues.

All of which leads me to say that this stuff is HARD. NASA has caught no end of grief over the years when they had a problem, but all in all I think that they've accomplished a lot.

SpaceX and other private firms will recover and do great things as well, I'm sure. (Provided Congress doesn't empower a Blue Ribbon committee to "straighten out this mess".)

hj

Old 06-29-2015, 08:47 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
With all NASA's successes we've too easily forgotten the number of "mishaps" they had before finally getting things less unpredictable. The privateers are going through the same learning curves and growing pains NASA did all those years ago.

It is odd SpaceX and surely Russia's counterpart all have former government space workers in their employ---one would think that alone would make all this easy as pie with that accummlated knowledge and experience.

Still impressive, I wonder from where all the money comes to sustain these losses?

Old 07-01-2015, 02:09 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JWA
With all NASA's successes we've too easily forgotten the number of "mishaps" they had before finally getting things less unpredictable. The privateers are going through the same learning curves and growing pains NASA did all those years ago.

It is odd SpaceX and surely Russia's counterpart all have former government space workers in their employ---one would think that alone would make all this easy as pie with that accummlated knowledge and experience.

Still impressive, I wonder from where all the money comes to sustain these losses?
Guessing....... insurance policies. Contracts. Filthy rich investors.

I've been a "space geek/nerd" for years. (Ever since the days of Sputnik!)

I want to see us SUCCEED in space, big time!!!!!!
After all..... it is "The Final Frontier".

Old 07-01-2015, 02:40 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Somebody once said that solid-fuel rockets should never be used for manned flights.