Truck stolen, got it back, how to prevent theft? UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 04:51 PM
shadows4
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Truck stolen, got it back, how to prevent theft? UPDATE

Hi guys,
I usually just read but I now need some ideas. Truck is stock. It was stolen from our driveway sometime Thursday morning early. It was recovered Friday sometime. Apparently they were trying to use it to steal other stuff from some farmer and got it stuck it the mud.
The tow operator told me it took two tow trucks to pull it out. There was a big puddle of transmission fluid on the ground and he thought the transfer case might be froze up.
Anyway it will be taken to Midway Ford here in Kansas City on Monday for them to determine actual damages. As far as looking at it the only thing I can see is they punched it the door lock and broke the steering column lock.

My question is what is the best way to disable the truck. I mean make it a no start? Appreciate any and all answers, Thanks, John

Here are some pics from the tow lot.

Well we will get the truck back tomorrow from the Ford dealer. It is done as far as the theft damage. I had a front end alaignment done which resulted in the need for ball joints and drag links, but that is another story. As far as what they did concerning the repairs. Repaired steering column lock, repaired door lock, replaced the front seal on the tranny and did a tranny service and replaced the rear pinion seal and fluid in the rear end. Also detailed the truck inside and out. Insurance paid for all the repairs minus my deductable.
I have recieved the Cyclops anti theft device and will be installing it when I get the truck home tomorrow. Thanks for all the replies. It is good to know there are people to offer their help and encouragement when needed. Thanks again, John

Last edited by shadows4; 06-25-2015 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Update
Old 06-20-2015, 05:02 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put the Cyclops anti-theft device on mine a week or so ago. Unless the thief knows that it is there and has his own replacement relay it will not start.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:34 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
A cheap (my favorite ) way to prevent theft is to pull the IDM relay...takes 10 seconds tops.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:36 PM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
OMG!! So sorry to see what these scumbags did to your truck! The Cyclops anti-theft device sounds good to me and it's now on my shopping list...

Old 06-20-2015, 06:39 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
i simply put the DP tuner in no start mode.
or if i will ever be in an unsafe place i would remove the switcher.

this way the only way it would be moved would be if the thief has a DP switcher in his pocket, or he had a tow truck.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:31 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Cyclops is good. No start position on the switch is good. Or some other variant on the same theme.

To be sure, Ravelco is the answer if you want their only method of theft to be a tow truck.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:00 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm buying the cyclops next week for the X. Raveclo is awesome but I don't like all the hacking of wires and splicing. I just think something will go wrong and end up with a mess of wires and the truck will never start.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:48 AM
shadows4
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I have ordered the Cyclops anti theft device. Still thinking about the Jimmi Jammers. Again thanks guys.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:08 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Jimmi Jammers - speed bumps for the polite thief.

Straight up - the most reliable switch you can buy, installed where it cuts the IDM power. Hide that sucker good. You might even get fancy with a DPDT switch, and have the other connection activate the horn if the ignition is turned on with the kill switch off. Even if would-be thieves were to find the switch, their stealth was compromised while learning of its existence.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:40 AM
sowaxeman
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put the Cyclops in my truck a couple months back after a FTE members struck was stolen and never recovered....just 5 miles from my house! So simple to install and works great.

Knowing what I know about these trucks now and my own experience....they probably overheated the transmission trying to get it unstuck and puked fluid out the front seal. Its pretty common from what I've read. Dealer will probably want to drop it to replace the seal and all should be good.

Curious to know what they charge for the car wash!

Old 06-22-2015, 07:49 AM
Justin03PSD
Senior User
Sorry to hear of your troubles, OP.

I have a set of uninstalled Jimmi Jammers, mainly because of what Rich eluded to (and I don't keep anything of value in the cab). I need to get in the habit of using DP's no start setting more often.

On a positive note, glad you got it back and nice to see a post from another KC local. If you ever need any help, hit me up!

Old 06-22-2015, 05:03 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I learned the hard way, Set my F6 to "0" and pulled the switch...( I was gone for 3 weeks) Forgot where I stashed it and couldn't drive my truck for a Week! I'm my own worst enemy. But It works as advertised!

Old 06-22-2015, 07:50 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
All that is good but if you do something like pull the IDM or switch it, by the time they find out it wont start they have punched your door lock and probably the ignition switch (I know, at least they they don't get the truck). We need a way to keep them away from our trucks to begin with.

I don't have the answer but I do have a Viper alarm with the flashing LED that keeps the honest people honest and the lazy thief moving to an easier target.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:55 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
All that is good but if you do something like pull the IDM or switch it, by the time they find out it wont start they have punched your door lock and probably the ignition switch (I know, at least they they don't get the truck). We need a way to keep them away from our trucks to begin with.

I don't have the answer but I do have a Viper alarm with the flashing LED that keeps the honest people honest and the lazy thief moving to an easier target.

Sounds like you're looking for a trunk monkey.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:45 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
As far as gaining access to the truck is concerned there is no way to stop the guy with a hammer, crow bar or just a big rock. Most are going to a chop shop and glass is cheap and the least of their worries. My dad always said that locks are to keep honest people out.

Quick Reply: Truck stolen, got it back, how to prevent theft? UPDATE