6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Bought truck with only one key

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 05:20 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Mcrafty1
You have it right Dannyboy950......I was lead to believe there was a chip in the key and that was where all the expense was involved, I guess it was just too much temptation for the dealership to just tell me it would be a few bucks at my local hardware store for a second key. things like this is why I rather have a sister in a **** house than a brother working in an auto dealership
Since your truck is only a year off before they did use the chipped keys in trucks and now a days practically all the Fords have them I think your being a little harsh. If he had it in hand he might of caught his mistake but you just got a quote. You were given a verbal quote for the cost at most. It's not like you were charged.
Maybe I'm being to forgiven in this instance but really what's his gain?
The real test is hand him the key and get an actual cost.
Also to identify, the PATS keys have an offset hole.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:40 PM
Mcrafty1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
Since your truck is only a year off before they did use the chipped keys in trucks and now a days practically all the Fords have them I think your being a little harsh. If he had it in hand he might of caught his mistake but you just got a quote. You were given a verbal quote for the cost at most. It's not like you were charged.
Maybe I'm being to forgiven in this instance but really what's his gain?
The real test is hand him the key and get an actual cost.
Also to identify, the PATS keys have an offset hole.
I'm not looking for a pissin contest here but if the Ford service technician wasn't sure of what my 07 needed for a key and how much I could expect to pay for it he shouldn't have quoted me a price so fast, a couple pf questions could have clarified that for him and just maybe I might be as forgiving toward him as you appear to be...He didn't and I'm not. This same dealership sold me the 07 F350 with a new Fisher extremeV plow and two weeks after I started plowing with it the lift cylinder started puking fluid out of it and onto my grill,hood and windshield....their answer for that was " all plow cylinders leak after a while" all this after they made me drive the truck forty miles to them with the plow attached. I weren't happy with that answer and I'm not happy about the key incident.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:57 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Harleys have chipped keys, the rest of the Superduys do not.
Mark could a older truck be converted to PATS? I know that was not your
thing but thought you might have an idea.

Originally Posted by Mcrafty1
I'm not looking for a pissin contest here but if the Ford service technician wasn't sure of what my 07 needed for a key and how much I could expect to pay for it he shouldn't have quoted me a price so fast, a couple pf questions could have clarified that for him and just maybe I might be as forgiving toward him as you appear to be...He didn't and I'm not. This same dealership sold me the 07 F350 with a new Fisher extremeV plow and two weeks after I started plowing with it the lift cylinder started puking fluid out of it and onto my grill,hood and windshield....their answer for that was " all plow cylinders leak after a while" all this after they made me drive the truck forty miles to them with the plow attached. I weren't happy with that answer and I'm not happy about the key incident.
Was that the tech or the moron that worked as a service advisor?
I have found a few that make a box of rocks look like they have a PhD.
I know not saying much there

Sean

Old 06-18-2015, 10:16 PM
05F250DSL
Fleet Mechanic
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Bought mine with only one key as well. Wonder where our keys go? I went to ace and had one cut. For found well I got a few from a local junk yard they work just fine. I was there with a friend so figured why not check out the fob situation.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:31 PM
LtDan48
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like I'm buying some keys and fobs from Amazon!

Old 06-18-2015, 10:35 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
When it comes to the options are the Harley's counted as a F-series or an Excursion?
I am finding that the VSM for the F-series does not have a pin for the PATS input
from the antenna. Also I would guess that the cluster has to have the light and
there has to be a signal to tell the PCM to not allow a start.

Sean

Old 06-19-2015, 02:47 AM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually am absolutely certain the excursion is the only 6.0 equipped vehicle that can have pats. The Harley trucks do not have chips. As funny as it sounds,, they only have the bigger key so the Harley emblem can be on it. The ring on the ignition and the little computer box is hard to miss on a pats equipped column.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:36 AM
Mcrafty1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Mark could a older truck be converted to PATS? I know that was not your
thing but thought you might have an idea.

Was that the tech or the moron that worked as a service advisor?
I have found a few that make a box of rocks look like they have a PhD.
I know not saying much there

Sean
Again, I'm not looking to make a long drawn out thread about this .....but since you asked, the plow incident was with one of the 'so called' service technicians, the key incident was with the service adviser. Neither appeared overly concerned about the money I had already spent (on the plow) or the money I was possibly going to spend on the key. This is JMHO concerning my experiences with dealerships if anyone else feels differently about them...well, they're entitled to their opinion also.
I'm not saying all dealerships are like this....just all the ones I've had the opportunity to visit.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:40 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
I might add that even if you have the chipped key you can still have a regular key made that will open doors only, not start rig. Why you would want a key like that who knows

Old 06-19-2015, 05:57 AM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Be glad its not a 05 Dodge neon [wifes car] new key $80; $180 to program and the dealer said he would have to keep the car 2 days.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:12 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by hanklin
I might add that even if you have the chipped key you can still have a regular key made that will open doors only, not start rig. Why you would want a key like that who knows
If you've ever had to unlock a vehicle multiple times for the same person because they've locked their keys in the car you'd understand

Old 06-19-2015, 06:22 AM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
If you've ever had to unlock a vehicle multiple times for the same person because they've locked their keys in the car you'd understand
Amen to that. My wife locks herself out often.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:59 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by dannyboy950
Amen to that. My wife locks herself out often.
LMAO--it's too early to be reading my mind Danny

Old 06-19-2015, 07:28 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Super Duty Service
I actually am absolutely certain the excursion is the only 6.0 equipped vehicle that can have pats. The Harley trucks do not have chips. As funny as it sounds,, they only have the bigger key so the Harley emblem can be on it. The ring on the ignition and the little computer box is hard to miss on a pats equipped column.
I've never opened the column in a Harley truck to look for the sensor that detects the chip. It was my job to release the PCM/TCM software into production for the 2003, 2004, and 2005 6.0L Excursion/Superduty. I was given engine files that had PATS for Harleys and Excursions. All others did not have PATS.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:05 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
this look like a chipped key?

Quick Reply: Bought truck with only one key